11 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Worth It? Kay Somos, General Sorin, Stormtroopers Packs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SlyFox
msg tools
mb
I recently bought Star Wars Imperial Assault and liked it so much that I have already invested my $ into all of the main expansions and most of the smaller packs.

For now, I mostly play campaign and just played one skirmish game. I like both.

I am hesitant to purchase Kay Somos, General Sorin, and Stormtroopers Packs as I am not sure that they are worth getting based on some of the comments that I have read on the forums.

Can you please share your thoughts on these packs and let me know if they are worth getting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf M
msg tools
I think Somos is good from a thematic stand point, if you want to play one map as a Storm Trooper type base scenario then it can be fun. But overall his agenda deck is sub par including a 3 influence mission for a chance to summon him at an inflated cost to get one shot by your Fenn or focused Gaarkhan.

Besides, if you are going to spend 3 influence on a mission it is going to be Imperial Industry or perhaps a chance at Vader or the RGC.

I have no experience with the Sorin pack, but the ST pack basically supplies you with some buffs for your Storm Troopers, the 501st reward is OK but again are you going to spend 3 influence on the quest to get it? Not likely as Imperial Industry is again superior.

So unless your OCD refuses to let you play with tokens, or you want to drop a new pose for your ST's on your Rebels, save the cash. I would basically get any other of the villian/ally packs before these three two, again I can't speak for Sorin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog_Trigger wrote:
I think Somos is good from a thematic stand point, if you want to play one map as a Storm Trooper type base scenario then it can be fun. But overall his agenda deck is sub par including a 3 influence mission for a chance to summon him at an inflated cost to get one shot by your Fenn or focused Gaarkhan.

I have to agree. Kayn Somos is in the campaign I'm running with my family. His contribution to the Imperial effort was minimal at best, and he got killed pretty darn fast. I was definitely underwhelmed by his performance. I haven't played with Sorin or the Stormtrooper pack, so I can't comment on those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am only talking about campaign (not skirmish), but as an Imperial player the additional stormtroopers are the models in which I have used the most of any expansion.

I know that you cannot add the additional deployment cards that you get with the stormtroopers but the models get a really good workout! They really help differentiate squads or non-elite/elite!

Kayn Somos for me was then a must buy as I like the idea of Stormtroopers and he has a cool pose, which can also be used as a normal stromtrooper for variation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note for even mildly competitive skirmish, if you are running a trooper list (ie a skirmish team with figures that have the trooper traits and it's pretty likely you would if you play imperials) the Stormtrooper pack is really required. Some of the cards such as reinforcements and Vader's Finest attachment really buff out your skirmish team.

Kayn Somos adds some fun for skirmish with some interesting options that complements troopers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My full thoughts on the pack are like always in the buyers guide as there is too much to say about them then I can type on my phone.

http://boardwars.eu/ally-and-villain-packs-for-star-wars-imp...

Its split between campaign and skirmish for obvious reasons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jacenat wrote:
My full thoughts on the pack are like always in the buyers guide as there is too much to say about them then I can type on my phone.

Great ratings and comparison!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SlyFox
msg tools
mb
Thank you for your comments. I have placed an order for the following packs based on the feedback.

- General Sorin
- Kayn Somos
- Alliance Smuggler
- Bantha Rider

So far, I have every expansion and every pack except for General Weiss and Stormtroopers packs, which I will skip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jacenat wrote:

I think you should split further between the 3 different campaigns. While no one misses kayn somos in the base game, that's different in Twin Shadows. Also I can imagine that General Weiss is more interesting in a Hoth campaign with armored onslaught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Deaton
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I would get Somos and the Stormtroppers if your into skirmish, and enjoy sending wave after wave of ST into the fray. Plus you get some pretty neat command card that are great for a ST based build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
jacenat wrote:

I think you should split further between the 3 different campaigns. While no one misses kayn somos in the base game, that's different in Twin Shadows. Also I can imagine that General Weiss is more interesting in a Hoth campaign with armored onslaught.

Also, New Orders command card can be pretty big in skirmish if you get it at the right time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.