Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Demetrius is really hard to use.

I finally go there and dedicate my first 3 turns to make sure Humans win the Cylon Civil War card.
This brought out the Rebel Cylon Basestar under Human control. But then the only people to use it that game were the two un-revealed Cylons to screw the humans over.
Not impressed.

I want to like the Demetrious with the Earth destination but all three games we have used it so far it has either done nothing or had the above effect. So sad.

Wakrob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason to do Missions is for the extra distance. Everything else is just a waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I wonder if we had a house rule:

To use a Human aligned Rebel Basestar you must reveal (or have revealed) one You are NOT a Cylon card.

Guess that wouldnt help too much....

Wakrob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:
I wonder if we had a house rule:

To use a Human aligned Rebel Basestar you must reveal (or have revealed) one You are NOT a Cylon card.

Guess that wouldnt help too much....

Wakrob

Being able to reveal human cards like that may rub some playstyles and groups the wrong way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Okay. Then maybe a Human aligned Basestar should not be able to activate Raiders. Though thematically I could see how this could be appropriate.

Wakrob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be time to just accept that the earth objective isn't all that good.

In fact, it's pretty bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:
Okay. Then maybe a Human aligned Basestar should not be able to activate Raiders. Though thematically I could see how this could be appropriate.

Wakrob

Or if you don't like the things that people can do with a rebel basestar, stop attempting and passing it.

And yes, the reveal a Not A Cylon Card is a horrible horrible idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oriecat wrote:
The only reason to do Missions is for the extra distance. Everything else is just a waste.

Removing a Basestar from the game is also pretty nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
oriecat wrote:

Removing a Basestar from the game is also pretty nice.
If you're a cylon, you can force a Mission to keep the good ones at bay for another jump cycle. Hit the right one, and it can kill resources. Otherwise, force humans to spend more actions/cards to find the distance missions.

In a pinch, it can be a dumping ground for Treachery, and other Skill Check effects you'd rather not have to resolve.

Delay a crisis for another turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Jinis
France
Florida
flag msg tools
The rebel basestar is the pinnacle of uselessness... Who would use his miracle token for that Oo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeJinis wrote:
The rebel basestar is the pinnacle of uselessness... Who would use his miracle token for that Oo

Cally or original Baltar after both Cylons have revealed? I'm pretty sure there are some other miracles out there that aren't worth the effort at least some of the time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
JoeJinis wrote:

Cally or original Baltar after both Cylons have revealed? I'm pretty sure there are some other miracles out there that aren't worth the effort at least some of the time...

I can think of a number of miracles that I'd almost always discard for the rebel basestar:
- Baltar (original recipe), Cally, Ellen, Saul or Helo's after the Cylons reveal
- Cultar if he failed to get up to 3 tokens
- Doc Cottle
- Cain after distance 6

Not to mention a bunch of others that could be better spent there depending on the circumstances. Honestly I think the Rebel Basestar has a lot of utility... if you ever see it come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Jinis
France
Florida
flag msg tools
These chars should have use their OPG far sooner so....
There are always great opportunities to use OPG, but some people tend to wait until it is too late to use them....
The mechanic to bring the rebell base star makes it useless because you need :
1- No cylon to pass the mission
BUT
2- Have already 2 cylons to have any interest in using your miracle

and bonus
3- Beeing FAR on distance to not be more interested in the +X distance missions

I saw 2 times the rebell basestar, and none used anything on it the two times xD
We even didn't ply a single card on the test one of those two times, so the cylons won it and didn't use it ( 1 discarded card + 1 super crisis discarded for a meh action... ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeJinis wrote:
These chars should have use their OPG far sooner so....
There are always great opportunities to use OPG, but some people tend to wait until it is too late to use them....
The mechanic to bring the rebell base star makes it useless because you need :
1- No cylon to pass the mission
BUT
2- Have already 2 cylons to have any interest in using your miracle

and bonus
3- Beeing FAR on distance to not be more interested in the +X distance missions

I saw 2 times the rebell basestar, and none used anything on it the two times xD
We even didn't ply a single card on the test one of those two times, so the cylons won it and didn't use it ( 1 discarded card + 1 super crisis discarded for a meh action... ).
You should've seen it a 3rd time then

That's still 2 more times I've seen it, and back around 2 years ago, I was able to get in one game month, with about 60^ of them being Earth games.

As for those chars, you'd be surprised....
-Baltar and Cally tend to leave their OPGs towards post sleeper. That way, you know for sure if somebody's human or cylon. However, I've had games where the 2 cylons revealed pre-sleeper. Yes, sometimes it was knowing the threat of Baltar and Cally's OPG were looming, but there were a sizeable number of cases where their reveals were timed excellently, so those OPG weren't the prime factors. Now they're left with useless OPG that could've had a utilitarian use as any other character.

Exceptions in this case are somebody REALLY wants to know now than later if a suspected individual is a cylon or not, as this knowledge is more useful sooner than sleeper.

-Cain tends to leave her OPG for sleeper, when we get a big mess of ships, although for some of my groups, there has been a push for her to use it pre-sleeper, lest she turn then.

As a cylon Cain, saying that you have a rare opportunity to try out the RBS is a nice cover... until you do something very cylon-y with it, so the cover would've been moot.

-Ditto with Cottle... he'd probably hold on to his OPG until when a crucial civvy is about to get destroyed

-For Cultar, even if he'd got 3 mt, for all I know, it may be worth it to use RBS 3 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Jinis
France
Florida
flag msg tools
Honestly we didn't discard the mission only to see the board once in our gametime x)
It's was useless but pretty like poster or lamp, vase etc xD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's often suggested that players should hang on to their miracles at least until Sleeper so they know which side to support with them.

Meanwhile, it can sometimes be worth taking a blind Mission just because you're on the verge of a Jump anyway, and you might as well do it before losing the opportunity.

Between them, these things can easily leave you spawning the Rebel Basestar while a bunch of people still have Miracles on tap.

As for Cally in particular, her Miracle is arguably most valuable as a deterrent, pushing Cylons to reveal rather than attempt sabotage. If both Cylons reveal rather than risk getting shot, then Cally's done her job and is stuck with a useless Miracle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
As for Cally in particular, her Miracle is arguably most valuable as a deterrent, pushing Cylons to reveal rather than attempt sabotage. If both Cylons reveal rather than risk getting shot, then Cally's done her job and is stuck with a useless Miracle.
It's harder to do, but it's always hilarious when Cally gets tricked into executing a human. Or, pretends to be shocked that she "accidently" executed a human laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.