JonMichael Rasmus
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All hat and no cattle. But a cattle dog, at least.

Then comes the strings:
Prime Movers
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization +24 #65
Blood Rage +8 #25

Falling Stars
[Summoner Wars: Master Set -4 #78]

Hot Lava Birth
Istanbul #100

Top Ten Trends
NO CHANGE

Top 5 Winning Movers
Codenames (second week!)
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Blood Rage (fourth week!)
Eldritch Horror
Roll for the Galaxy

New Highest Peaks
Codenames #18
Blood Rage #25
Concordia #44
Patchwork #48
The Voyages of Marco Polo #50
Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization #65
Orleans #66
T.I.M.E Stories #70
Viticulture #86
Arcadia Quest #97

For a review/explanation of the terms in this thread, check out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Top_100_Analysis

Wow! More big climbs - feeling more and more like the pre-ratings shift days. Welcome to the new normal. Goodbye to Here I Stand. Will M'44 join it?

Have a good week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Currently the top 100 contains:

2 x Pandemic
2 x Agricola
2 x Through the Ages
2 x War of the Ring
2 x 7 Wonders
2 x Dominion
3 x Ticket to Ride

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit goofy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:

2 x Pandemic
2 x Agricola
2 x Through the Ages
2 x War of the Ring
2 x 7 Wonders
2 x Dominion
3 x Ticket to Ride

Nope, you must certainly are not.

I also noticed the 2015 releases all seemed to shoot up the charts relatively rapidly, influx of gaming/population on the site all ranking the newer games at a faster rate, or better games? I'm leaning towards the former, certainly not the latter.

I also think anything episodic/reiterated should be bundled into a game family, and rankings can reflect the family on the whole. Really, it is very sad that games are going Hollywood and being continuous reiterations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Duel/2p versions of games definitely should be up there, these are completely different games

I think older editions of games should be removed (through the ages, war of the ring)

I'm not sure how I feel about certain expansions being up there since on one hand, they make the game totally different and it's more like you are using components/framework from a base game (Ticket to Ride, Dominion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frotes wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about certain expansions being up there since on one hand, they make the game totally different and it's more like you are using components/framework from a base game (Ticket to Ride, Dominion)

Those aren't expansions as they don't require the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
frotes wrote:

Those aren't expansions as they don't require the base game.

Hrm you are right, I should have looked closer at exactly which ones were listed. I have no problem with them being there then and I think some will drop off in the coming years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks as always for this analysis!

frotes wrote:
I think the Duel/2p versions of games definitely should be up there, these are completely different games

I think older editions of games should be removed (through the ages, war of the ring)

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shush Ruth
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:

2 x Pandemic
2 x Agricola
2 x Through the Ages
2 x War of the Ring
2 x 7 Wonders
2 x Dominion
3 x Ticket to Ride

You are forgetting the two versions of Age of Steam (or 3 if you include Railways of the World)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my call:

Pandemic Legacy is definitely a legit game in its own right.

Caverna and Agricola is not the same game.

7 Wonders Duel is clearly a different game to 7 Wonders.

As for War Of The Ring, Though The Ages, Ticket To Ride and Dominion, I guess I would like to implement at system where only the HIGHEST ranked game actually gets a ranking. The others will still have a geek rating, just like expansions, but won't get an actual ranking. Doing this would clean up the rankings, while anybody searching particularly for "Ticket To Ride" would still be presented with all the variations. Also, only giving the HIGHEST ranked game a ranking means that only the most popular iteration of the game would be given a ranking, so that for instance Through The Ages wouldn't lose its top 10 ranking just because there is a newer version out, while at the same time, "obsolete" versions of games (like the first War Of The Ring) would disappear from the rankings.

This solution is not without problems, but is a better solution than anything else I've seen. I'm not keen on doing rating-mergers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Absolutely agree, Kasper. I'd like to see something like what you outlined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
Jonny5 wrote:

2 x Pandemic
2 x Agricola
2 x Through the Ages
2 x War of the Ring
2 x 7 Wonders
2 x Dominion
3 x Ticket to Ride

Nope, you must certainly are not.

I also noticed the 2015 releases all seemed to shoot up the charts relatively rapidly, influx of gaming/population on the site all ranking the newer games at a faster rate, or better games? I'm leaning towards the former, certainly not the latter.

I also think anything episodic/reiterated should be bundled into a game family, and rankings can reflect the family on the whole. Really, it is very sad that games are going Hollywood and being continuous reiterations.

I posted this poll a couple of days ago regaridng an unrelated topic, what suprised me (seriously) though was that the newer games are obviously being played more... now, it probably shouldn't surprise me too much since the newer games are more readily available now, more exciting, more hyped etc... but still... For some reason i thought El Grande and Tikal would be closer to some of the more played stuff than what the poll shows so far...

so yes, newer releases to seem to be more capable of moving up faster in the rankings...

Poll
1. Which of these games have you played?
  yes (have played) no (haven't played)
Istanbul
Tikal
Five Tribes
Rococo
Village
El Grande
Concordia
Voyages of Marco Polo
Caylus
2. So we've been playing Lords of Waterdeep including the Scoundrels of Skullport expansion. My group is otherwise quite casual/non-gamer-ish. I'm bored with LoW (even inclduing the expansion). Which of the follwoing games do you think would be a good next step? I'm looking for something slightly heavier/deeper/more replayable but still fairly easy to learn and teach.
(you can answer more than 1 game)
Istanbul
Tikal
Five Tribes
Rococo
Village
El Grande
Concordia
Voyages of Marco Polo
Caylus
other (please post in the thread)
      286 answers
Poll created by dennisthebadger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.