Steve Hanzelman
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just able to get hold of Warfighter plus three expansions in a BGG trade.

How may of the expansion decks should I include when playing the game? I'm afraid that I'll never get a location card when I need one due to even more actions being added to the deck. Am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks,
Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
You'll be fine if you mix them all. The ratio of actions to locations doesn't change much with the expansions. My only problem with adding more expansions is that it takes me longer to pick out my team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Boadilla del Monte
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and which are most recommended?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
LargeGoblin wrote:
You'll be fine if you mix them all. The ratio of actions to locations doesn't change much with the expansions. My only problem with adding more expansions is that it takes me longer to pick out my team.

The ratio does change, and not insignificantly. See this thread for details:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1461904/location-action...

I recommend that until you're more familiar with the game, you can skip adding the Stealth deck. In fact, as many of the Support expansion cards require maintenance costs and/or additional card plays to get it out in the first place, which can be difficult for first time players to manage, I would only add the Reloading expansion at first, if any expansion at all.

Personally, if I were playing for the first time, or teaching the game to someone who was going to continue to play on their own, I would do it as follows:

Play with base set only "Vanilla", vs. Cartels. Initial mission: Drug Huts or VIP Takedown.

When comfortable, add the Reloading expansion. Try some of the other Cartel missions.

Again, when comfortable, add the Stealth or Support expansions. I recommend that you add the Stealth expansion when you are carrying Stealth attack-capable weapons.

When you're winning consistently against Cartel Hostiles, move up to Middle Eastern Insurgents. When you're feeling like they're not a challenge, move up to Middle Eastern Military. Then, try your hand at Eastern Europeans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
...Middle Eastern Insurgents. When you're feeling like they're not a challenge...

Is anyone at this point yet??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Haha!

I agree with Christopher. Btw, I took the time to make a complete list of all cards in Wave 1 so that squad building is as painless as possible. https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/109973/warfighter-soldier...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Kozure wrote:
LargeGoblin wrote:

The ratio does change, and not insignificantly. See this thread for details:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1461904/location-action...

Well, you can use all kinds of numbers, but the impact on the game isn't much from my experience. I don't think your math of looking at the size of one hand for one soldier holds up in the game since you end up drawing so many cards throughout the course of a game. I've even gone through the entire deck in the longer missions.

I guess if you're the type to hold onto every card in case you might need it later, it could be a problem, but I try not to get too attached to them. Maybe it's also a problem if you play with only a single player soldier. I've only done that in one game and realized it didn't work so well, so I always play with at least two.

Just to give some example, let's take the In And Out mission (11 turns, objective #6) from Middle East. You have 11 turns and need four location cards. I'm no expert mathemagician, but if I'm understanding things correctly, with the base set, for every 6.2 cards you draw, you get one location. With all three wave 1 expansions, you get one location per 7 cards drawn. Is that correct?

Let's further assume you have two player soldiers, each with a hand size of five and each time you do a discard and draw, you are drawing three cards. That seems reasonable from my experience. Again, if you only play with one player soldier or only tend to draw one or two cards, this'll change.

To get four location cards with the base set only, you need to draw 24.8 cards (6.2 * 4). If you start with a combined hand size of 10, you need to perform 5 discard and draw actions (10 + 5 * 3 = 25). If you are playing with all the wave 1 expansions, you need to draw 28 cards (7 * 4). This means you need to perform 6 discard and draw actions (10 + 6 * 3 = 28).

One action could be significant out of those 11 turns (44 player solder actions), but that's what canteens are for. Also, you're very likely to start with at least one location in either case.

I'm also not sure what the final ratio is supposed to be with all the expansions. You only get 17 generic location cards in the footlocker, if I recall, but I'm not sure how many total action cards you have after all of the expansions released to date.

I don't have the UK, Russian, nor Eastern European expansions, but I play with all the action cards I have and use the generic location cards, and it's very rare that I can't find a location when I need one. In fact, I usually end up discarding one or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be annoying not to draw a location immediately.

But I find I rarely come down to the last turn, so do not sweat to discard and draw to get a location.

I try not to be precious by holding onto good cards "just in case" - if I am D&Ding to get a needed location I usually discard all to increase the probability that I will be successful in drawing a choose if locations.

I am not shy of discarding locations that I don't like, I've had a mission or two where I have had to refresh the location deck because I'd been through them all.

If you do find that you are running up against the timer barrier then:
More canteens and MREs - for more cards
More Player Soldiers (2 or more per player) for more cards
Wrist GPS for 2 more turns
MICH helmets to move faster
More explosive weapons - especially grenade launchers to clear the Hostiles faster

Have fun and remember failure *is* an option. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your original question, you can use all, but choose short mission with objectives that do not have time limits or special weapons requirements to make it easier and the Jungle cartel mission that has recon one location is a good starting mission.

I also found it useful to play the example.

Use the examples Mission, Objective and Team and see how you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a newbie Id stick with the base game only until youre comfortable with the rules and have a good feel for how the game plays. I definitely agree with using more than one player solder for each mission for the simple fact of having more action cards to work with. (I always use 2 player solders)
I have and use all expansions and typically don't have a prob when it comes to obtaining location cards.
Also, some of the expansion sets come with more location cards to add to the action deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Swanson
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I agree with whomever suggested just getting the first expansion "Reloading" and deciding whether or not you like the game enough to get the others from that point.

Of course, I might be the wrong one to talk to because after I got "Reloading" I bought 4-5 more after that lol

Love them all...I dont have the Russian forces one though. What are your thoughts on the Russian forces expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it!

The Hostiles are challenging - and who can not love a T-72, Hip or Hind after your team!

The Missions and Objectives are great... the locations very inspiring.

Good mix of soldiers and they get AK-47s and RPG-7s!!!!!

Only lacking in cheap Stealth Ranged weapons.

I've posted some AARs in the sessions section including:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1488092/aar1-eastern-eur...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.