Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons Dice Masters: Battle for Faerûn» Forums » General

Subject: Starting out for 2 casual players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Fradette
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Hello everyone.
I'm really curious about DnD Dice Masters and I'd like to get into it casually: I'm only gonna play this with my brother (we used to love playing Magic).

I'm wondering what my best option is. Would getting the starter box from this and the one from Faerun Under Siege provide us with enough stuff to play the "full" game (8vs8/20 life)?
I've read from other posts that getting a common/uncommon set from ebay or amazon might be a good idea, but the only listings around here are over 90$ with shipping (which is quite a lot more than the supposed 30-40$ that those people said it would be). At that point, would it be better just getting a whole Gravity Feed? And if I do, I'd still need the starter box?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayril wrote:
I'm wondering what my best option is. Would getting the starter box from this and the one from Faerun Under Siege provide us with enough stuff to play the "full" game (8vs8/20 life)?

With both starter sets, you would have exactly 16 characters, and 2 dice per character. You'd be able to play a tournament-style game, but there obviously wouldn't be much variety (since the two of you together would use all of the characters from the starters). It's a decent solution, if you're not yet certain that you want to drop more money on boosters/singles.

Kayril wrote:
I've read from other posts that getting a common/uncommon set from ebay or amazon might be a good idea, but the only listings around here are over 90$ with shipping (which is quite a lot more than the supposed 30-40$ that those people said it would be). At that point, would it be better just getting a whole Gravity Feed?

$90 is an absurd price. I'd say give it some time. Once the Faerun Under Siege set gets out into the wild, you should be able to get a common/uncommon set for a reasonable price. Battle For Faerun is a year old now, so that is probably contributing to the price.

Having said that, a gravity feed is a decent option, once you're ready to make that kind of purchase. Most feeds have a couple of super rares and a good number of rares, if you're into the collecting aspect.

Kayril wrote:
And if I do, I'd still need the starter box?

Yes, you do still need a starter set. The starter set contains the NPC dice and basic action cards/dice that you must have in order to play. You can't get those from boosters.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lwdgames wrote:
Kayril wrote:
I'm wondering what my best option is. Would getting the starter box from this and the one from Faerun Under Siege provide us with enough stuff to play the "full" game (8vs8/20 life)?

With both starter sets, you would have exactly 16 characters, and 2 dice per character. You'd be able to play a tournament-style game, but there obviously wouldn't be much variety (since the two of you together would use all of the characters from the starters). It's a decent solution, if you're not yet certain that you want to drop more money on boosters/singles.

I should clarify... since you do have to buy at least one starter set no matter what, buying starters from two different sets is the best way to ease yourself into Dice Masters. I didn't mean to imply that there are better alternatives at the same price point.

With D&D, since there are only two sets so far, this is a great time to get started by buying a starter from each.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah buying a starter or two and seeing if you like it is best. You can get a gravity feed for about 75 dollars and that would easily get you a full set of uncommons commons and about 14 to 18 rares and a super rare or two depnndng on the feed. 90 dollars for a set of commons and uncommons is about 60 to 70 dollars more than a normal price even on eBay
If you buy two different starters you will still only have two dice per card so you won't get a real 2o dice 8 card team in. Two of the same starters would but you will be much more limited than getting a bunch of boosters
As the starter character cards are common they are fairly easy to get. For just 2 casual players you do t need a gravity feed but you will be able to field lots of very good teams for two players out of one feed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ducimus wrote:
You can get a gravity feed for about 75 dollars and that would easily get you a full set of uncommons commons

I don't think that I've ever seen a full common and uncommon set from a single gravity feed. You can come close, but you'll probably still need to buy singles to cover the rest.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might've gotten lucky but the last three sets I've gotten a full set of commons and uncommons from a single feed. You aren't guaranteed a set of uncommons though that's true.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrice lalet
France
Carcassonne
Aude
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2 D&D and a few booster will give you a LOT of fun and strategy - replayability
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are only getting one set the d&d one is the best in my opinion. I love the comic themed ones but out of all of them the d&d seems the best stand alone and the one everyone I play with likes the best. I think it had the most playable characters compared to the other sets. If I had to get rid of all the other sets if keep this one. Lots of fun mechanics
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Fradette
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting, thank you all for your answers.

So basically, buying the 2 starters would be a good idea, but I'd really need at least a few boosters to round up the rooster? With the 2 starter, in your opinion, would 10 boosters of each set provide a decent amount of diversity?

Also, if I do spring for a com/unc set, wouldn't that come with only 1 dice per card? If so, is it really worth it (don't I need a few dice for most cards)?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayril wrote:
would 10 boosters of each set provide a decent amount of diversity?

That depends entirely on what you pull.

Each booster has two cards and a die for each card. Out of 20 cards/dice, you may end up with 8 common Kobolds (with 4 unnecessary dice), or you may get 20 completely different characters, each with just 1 die. It's because of the variability that people suggest buying common/uncommon sets directly.

Kayril wrote:
Also, if I do spring for a com/unc set, wouldn't that come with only 1 dice per card? If so, is it really worth it (don't I need a few dice for most cards)?

It's still worth it. 2 dice per character (1 for the common and 1 for the uncommon) is not ideal for competitive tournament play, but if you're only interested in playing casually, the variety in a common/uncommon set is more valuable.

For collecting, you ideally want 4 dice per character, which is difficult to do without buying boosters and dealing with the duplicates.

For my own Faerun Under Siege collection, I'll be participating in a few Rainbow Draft tournaments, which I've found to be a great way of getting a wide variety of cards, without buying gravity feeds. For a new player, however, I would not recommend jumping right into an event like that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ducimus
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will likely find you don't need four dice for a lot of creatures as you will never buy four in a game but bring one or two a a finisher or for their special ability. Two or three is lots for everthing but core card like kobolds that are cheap and fast. If you both only have two to three per creature you will both be at the same advantage as well. If you get hooked buy or trade for more dice of your favorite cards and you will be set.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This person is pre-selling C/UC sets on eBay of Faerûn Under Siege - he's legitimate and this is really a great price for them.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Fradette
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Just a thought I had the other day: if I'm looking for more of a "closed" experience, without having to collect new stuff, would I be better off getting Quarriors (if I can find it)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayril wrote:
Just a thought I had the other day: if I'm looking for more of a "closed" experience, without having to collect new stuff, would I be better off getting Quarriors (if I can find it)?

Well yes, you could go with Quarriors instead, but keep in mind that the two games play very differently (despite having dice that look like they function the same way). They're both dice-building games, with character dice that have attack and defense numbers... and they're designed/published by the same people... but that's about it. The way that you use the dice in Dice Masters is much closer to Magic: The Gathering than what you'd find in Quarriors. If that style interests you, then you want Dice Masters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Todd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wittier Remark
badge
Wittiest Remark
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Useful thread. I'd just picked up the Battle for Faerun starter set to see if I like the whole Dice Masters experience, since it's pretty cheap. Good to know that adding a Faerun Under Siege starter set would open up the possibility of some (albeit light) tournament play.

Got to say, the starter sets are very well priced to entice new players in!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thesalmon wrote:
Got to say, the starter sets are very well priced to entice new players in!

They are, although I wish they'd have a little more meat to them. I'd prefer to have them be a little more expensive, but with max dice for each character, and no version of those characters in boosters. That way, you really could buy two different starters, and have a "complete" game. Then, if you wanted more, you can start buying boosters.

The current rumor is that they're going to be experimenting with different starter set formats soon, so we'll see how that goes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Todd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wittier Remark
badge
Wittiest Remark
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lwdgames wrote:
I'd prefer to have them be a little more expensive, but with max dice for each character, and no version of those characters in boosters.


Interesting idea. Or perhaps a "duel decks" product similar to those available in Magic The Gathering and a couple of the Summoner Wars starter sets. I guess you get that by buying the two different D&D starter sets, but you're right in saying it's a little incomplete thanks to the limited dice pool.

I'd love to see a small amount of boosters included in the starters too. I paid £15 for my starter set, and the low price was a big factor in me taking a punt on the game. I'd probably have been reluctant to take the chance if the price had been much more than £20 though, so I guess I can't have it both ways!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Fradette
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
lwdgames wrote:
[q="thesalmon"]The current rumor is that they're going to be experimenting with different starter set formats soon, so we'll see how that goes.


Really? I know the TMNT set comes in a big box and is "complete" in itself, but I haven't heard anything about other sets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kayril wrote:
lwdgames wrote:
[q="thesalmon"]The current rumor is that they're going to be experimenting with different starter set formats soon, so we'll see how that goes.


Really? I know the TMNT set comes in a big box and is "complete" in itself, but I haven't heard anything about other sets.


There will be a self-contained "Team Set" of Dr. Strange coming in the fall that will have 4 characters and their dice packaged in with it. It is unknown if more versions of them will be available in any booster packs. It will not include Sidekick/Basic Actions, but you could pair it with any Starter Set and be good to go.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the speculation about the Deadpool set, but that's just speculation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lwdgames wrote:
There's also the speculation about the Deadpool set, but that's just speculation.


Speculation being (as far as I know) that these sets may be Gravity Feed only, no Starter set/BACs. It looks very much like DC Green Arrow/The Flash will be this way.

Going forward, I suspect that Sidekick dice, BAC dice, and BAC cards will only be found in complete sets (like TMNT) or pre-existing Starter Sets. New release products will be small targeted "Team Sets" (like Dr. Strange), Booster-only set (like GA/TF), or all-in-one set (like TMNT).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.