Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Benson
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a lurker on the Geek and haven't posted any reviews because there are normally several that cover the information. B-Sieged only has the one video review now so I guess I'll throw this out there until the more eloquent post their reviews. This will not be an exposition on rules and how to play, just contents and how it played with my family.

Eye candy: Minis, art work, rule book. All looks great.
Component quality: I'll knock half a star off because the cards are not playing card thickness/texture. That said, they are the same as about every game with cards I've played and they aren't substandard, just not playing card quality.
Rules: The rules are presented well and in an easy to follow manner. There are examples. I'll knock half a point off because they could do with a little clarification about how much damage the Molens do and how to distribute the damage.
Box Space: It's a big box with lots of room. I'm anal enough I want to keep the minis in the plastic trays and boxes they came in to feed my OCD. If you dumped all the minis in the box there is probably enough space for all of them with the other components. If you want to keep them in their trays, box is too small.
Theme/Atmosphere: Playing you definitely get the feeling you are being overrun by the horde. Your players take damage and recover damage so there is some peril and reward going on with vanquishing the horde. To me, the minis help with the feeling of the few against the many.
How does it play? There is very little player down time. Everyone needs to collaborate. Less so than Pandemic, where you figure out the strategy based on what characters are being used and follow the strategy. There is plenty of randomness to keep it different each turn and every game. Everyone needs to plan. If someone ends their turn in the building you need to get into a couple turns in a row, you're screwed. There will be plenty of groaning when the catapult roll doesn't go your way. That brings us to luck.
Luck: This is a very luck of the roll, turn of the card game. There are plenty of ways to loose. That said, there a couple of things that can be done to modify the difficulty. The Enemy and Event cards have a difficulty level printed on them. You may want to pull some of the hardest cards out and see how it plays. We didn't do that, but plan to when we play again. When we played I forgot the part about limiting the number of resource cards per turn down to the number of players. I put the whole deck on the appropriate places. That made it a little easier, although we still lost.
Was it Fun? Yes and no. We like to win and we didn't, so boo hoo. This won't be like Pandemic where we lost half a dozen times until we figured out how to use a couple of the characters and then we won almost every time. There is enough randomness that there is no formula to win. We need to plan better and probably use 6 heroes instead of 4.
Will we play it again? Yes. I like pushing figs around. It doesn't take a PhD to figure out the rules. There is little down time and it looks cool.
How could it be better? Paint the figs. Lower the cost (although you do get a lot of figs).

Link to the session report on our second play.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1520358/2nd-play-we-won...

EDIT: Have since played several more times and things we have done to make it easier until we get better at it (and some things we missed in the rules).
1) The only time the catapult jams is when you try and move it. The jam is a miss when you shoot it. The jam doesn't damage it like a damaged building. It just doesn't turn. We were playing the jam broke it and it had to be fixed like a building.
2) We roll the same spawn letter three times in a row way more often than we statistically should so we haven't been using the Avatar. Tried it once and it spawned first turn and got 5 health back the 2nd turn and we lost when it entered the Citadel.
3) We took out the high value event and enemy cards and have been reintroducing them a few at a time with each play as we get better at it.
4) We end up killing the Molens, if we can, in all the lanes but one (normally the Castle/Sorcerer's Tower zone) and let them stack up there. You loose 2 buildings, but when they are all there, you don't have to worry about them in the other lanes.
5) Level up and loot the armory as often as you can until you get a couple people who are zone 1 killers.
6) Don't know if we were doing it right, but the cowardly Jester ended up holding a wall by dying every turn. Respawn beginning of each turn, move to wall as last action, get killed by the horde, repeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
c15ben wrote:
Was it Fun? Yes and no. We like to win and we didn't, so boo hoo. This won't be like Pandemic where we lost half a dozen times until we figured out how to use a couple of the characters and then we won almost every time. There is enough randomness that there is no formula to win. We need to plan better and probably use 6 heroes instead of 4.

I think it will end up being harder with 6 than 4 unless you plan to play without the 2 extra spawns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.