Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow DC Deck-Builders,

I am organizing a Justice Society of America Tournament at a local gaming store called Enchanted Grounds located in Highlands Ranch (8800 S Colorado Blvd, Highlands Ranch, CO 80126). The event will be held on March 12th at 11 AM and will consist of 3 rounds of game-play with randomly selected Main Sets. The tournament will use the JSA Super-Villains and character cards along with the potential of other characters from the main sets. Points will be awarded through each round based on VP standings and the winner will receive a $10 Credit to use on any DC Deck-building Game product (such as Crossover packs or the soon to be released Crisis 3 expansion). Players can also win copies of various DCDBG promos throughout the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Neumann
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Benjamin, thanks for organizing a tournament like this in/around Denver! Very exciting! My family just got into the DC Deck-Building Game and might try to make the trek out on March 12th.

I have a question for you about the tournament... how appropriate would it be to bring an 11 year old? My son would love to play, but at the same time, I do understand that events like this might not be "kid-friendly," either due to the expectations of the other participants or the kind of group you're recruiting for play. Like I said, my son would love to play, but we wouldn't want to infringe on anyone else's fun. Please push back if you think it would be a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Robb,

Sorry this message flew under my radar when you first posted. Though I advocate bringing new and younger players into the game experience, this specific tournament may not be the best environment. Their is the potential that we will play with 3 different base games with their own twists and new plays on mechanics which could cause some issues learning new cards and abilities.

If you think he would be able to adapt to the changing decks and play-style feel free to have him join us. All the players are great people and would appreciate and be patient with a younger player getting his bearing.

I highly encourage him to attend some of our other tournaments where we play with single base sets in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

We are just 2 weeks away from this amazing tournament. Here's hoping we see a great turnout so we can give out more promo cards from our collection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Neumann
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Thanks for your response, Benjamin! We've played quite a bit of the Teen Titans and Heroes Unite sets, but haven't had any experience with the general set or Forever Evil. We haven't played any of the mini-expansions yet either, so maybe this won't be a good fit for his first attempts at tournament play. Thanks for the input!

Aside from announcements here, do you have a mailing list we can join? I see you do tournaments quite often and I'd love to hear about them as they're announced.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I just wanted to chime in. My friends and I regularly attend Ben's tournaments, and while I would lean towards calling us more advanced players, we often play with friends who are new to the DC Deck-Building Game and are very patient with newcomers. In fact, we're bringing our newest player with us today! While competition in these tournaments is always spirited, it's all in good fun, and from our standpoint, you and your son would be welcome additions.

I realize that a lack of experience with some of the sets can be daunting, but you've actually played some of the more unusual sets. Heroes Unite plays very similar to the base set, and while Forever Evil takes some adjusting to, I would say that it's easier to pick up than Teen Titans. In any case, we'd all be happy to help you acclimate to the unfamiliar cards.

So don't be shy about joining us! These things are always more fun with more people, and we'd love to have you there. If I don't see you later today, I hope you guys come by next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Neumann
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Thanks for jumping in, GuruGuru! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts as well. We didn't make it, but hope to attend another tournament/get together in the future!

My largest hesitation isn't the sets, but my son's age. I think he's a terrific kid, but I also understand that I'm a little biased and other people might not be as open or welcome to having an eleven year old at the table. I didn't want to infringe on anyone's fun in that way, but if there are other tournaments in the future that would be a good fit, we'd love to come out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.