Roll Through the Ages: The Iron Age» Forums » Rules

Subject: solo game and tribute demand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
manuel noumak
France
flag msg tools
Hello,

I wonder if in a solo game, there is a tribute demand every turn (a); or only when it appears on the fate die (b)?
In the (a)situation, if it appears on the fate die, do you apply it twice ?
Do you also concider the amount of boats in your army strengh (obviously if you also have Navy).

also a question directly to the game designer (if he comes around). Isn't it too "kind" to allow a weaker opponent to just give you one good instead of making you win the tributes ? (giving a good is not such a big deal, but not winning 6 tributes (like in the rules example) is a big loss for an army strategy). I'm sure he thought it a lot before defining the rules, but it seems a pity in my opinion to create the idea of armies, boat, conquest, tributes and weaken it with this trick.

sorry for my bad english, I hope I'm clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
nemo1984 wrote:
in a solo game, there is a tribute demand every turn (a); or only when it appears on the fate die (b)?

B, only when it appears on the fate die.

Quote:
[if you have Navy], do you also consider the amount of boats in your army strength?

Yes.

Quote:
Isn't it too "kind" to allow a weaker opponent to just give you one good instead of making you win the tributes ?

Waging war is costly, in lives and material, both in modern and ancient times.

In ancient times, tribute was an acceptable way for a militarily strong empire to extract some value -- goods -- from a weaker empire instead of going to war, thus sparing both sides bloodshed and considerable expense.

Often, keeping a good around for possible tribute payments may prevent you from saving to create wealth (effectively costing you another good) or, if tribute isn't rolled by your opponent, it may result in it being thrown away (if your goods income next turn is 15+). In particular, if a weak military empire has to keep several goods around, turn after turn, to prevent multiple empires from claiming tribute VPs, it definitely adds up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manuel noumak
France
flag msg tools
thanks for the answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Quote:
[if you have Navy], do you also consider the amount of boats in your army strength?

Yes.
IIRC, this exp. gives you the option to forgo using Ships, but if you decide to add Ships to military strength, then you must deduct one ship? All cases assume you have Navy.

Tom Lehmann wrote:
nemo1984 wrote:
Isn't it too "kind" to allow a weaker opponent to just give you one good instead of making you win the tributes ?

Waging war is costly, in lives and material, both in modern and ancient times.

In ancient times, tribute was an acceptable way for a militarily strong empire to extract some value -- goods -- from a weaker empire instead of going to war, thus sparing both sides bloodshed and considerable expense.

Often, keeping a good around for possible tribute payments may prevent you from saving to create wealth (effectively costing you another good) or, if tribute isn't rolled by your opponent, it may result in it being thrown away (if your goods income next turn is 15+). In particular, if a weak military empire has to keep several goods around, turn after turn, to prevent multiple empires from claiming tribute VPs, it definitely adds up.

I've been wondering about this myself. To me, it also seems like the attacker IS getting the short end of the stick in such a case. Variants I've already came up with include the "defeated" losing 1 good, but the attacker getting 2 goods. Or leave it as "1 for 1", but the Attacker also gets 1 Tribute.

OTOH...
1) the scale of my variants can get out of whack in 4p games, so perhaps do this for only 2p games...
... but then Tribute doesn't really "cost" anything. The trade off of the attacker gaining guaranteed Tribute is that he has to deduct an Army (and Ship if applicable). The Tribute results can constantly generate "free points"

2) being short on one good has cost my plenty of stuff... no next Port, 1 less ship, just shy of that dev, or I did get that dev, but I had to use an extra Wealth

3) getting 3 Goods isn't too shabby given #2

4) I haven't been able to see this maneuver in action. There was one 3p game where a Good was given in lieu of the attacker getting... 4 Tribute? (can't recall exact value), but seeing it happen over and over again would really be a good indicator of how it all pans out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.