Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Ackerman
United States
Palm Beach
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found it simpler, after buying art, to place the signature token directly on the art. I don't need to keep checking whether I need to move the tokens every time someone upgrades the fame of an artist. When I sell (or at game end) I simply glance over at the artist's fame level and then to my handy "sell price" reference to figure out the value.

I also find it more thematic to have the artist signature _on_ the work. And it eliminates the need for those red/blue markers.

Anyone else do this? Any reason I shouldn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting. I guess the only reason not to do it this way is if you wanted to quickly calculate the art value. Your solution (which I like) involves one more mental step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very smart and we will be doing this going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SliceOfBread wrote:
...it eliminates the need for those red/blue markers.

But it took 10 whole minutes of scouring the manual to find out what those are for. I can't let that research go to waste!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Very interesting. I guess the only reason not to do it this way is if you wanted to quickly calculate the art value. Your solution (which I like) involves one more mental step.

Agree, plus the fact that like it is on the rules it's easier to check the value of opponents easier at any single point that one needs to know so I think it's better like it is now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely more for others to see than you. Once bought, the artist of origin is irrelevant when you have two from the same medium with different artists. We never even use those red and blue tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Definitely more for others to see than you. Once bought, the artist of origin is irrelevant when you have two from the same medium with different artists. We never even use those red and blue tokens.

How can you see to which of the two artists of each type of art is? The two painters (blue and red) can have different values

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidallves wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

How can you see to which of the two artists of each type of art is? The two painters (blue and red) can have different values

The piece of art itself doesn't need to be linked to the artist it came from. If you have two photographs, one from red and one from blue, it doesn't matter which came from which artist. All you need to know is what token corresponds to which and that's based on the color of the token. The white and red/blue tokens were only added if people wanted to track this for thematic reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davidallves wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

Mechanically, It doesn't matter. You can track it if you want to for thematic reasons, but there's really no need to as the game doesn't care which artist a particular artwork came from once it's in your gallery. When you sell a piece of art, you pick which artist's value it sells at regardless of which artist's signature token you chose when you bought it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
cubbieblue wrote:
When you sell a piece of art, you pick which artist's value it sells at regardless of which artist's signature token you chose when you bought it.

This is not correct. When you sell a signature you choose which piece of art from the corresponding media to sell. The sell price is determined by the signature, you cannot choose to sell a red signature at the blue signature's value (or visa versa).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
cubbieblue wrote:
When you sell a piece of art, you pick which artist's value it sells at regardless of which artist's signature token you chose when you bought it.

This is not correct. When you sell a signature you choose which piece of art from the corresponding media to sell. The sell price is determined by the signature, you cannot choose to sell a red signature at the blue signature's value (or visa versa).

That's correct, but that's not what I said. My point is that the actual piece of art you take from your gallery doesn't matter, so long that it matches the type of artwork on the signature token. (i.e. when you sell the blue signature token, you can take the artwork you chose when you purchased the red signature token)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the only issue I have with putting the signature tokens on the art is it's hard to do a quick appraisal of an opponent's gallery. That could be a little frustrating I'd imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
I guess the only issue I have with putting the signature tokens on the art is it's hard to do a quick appraisal of an opponent's gallery. That could be a little frustrating I'd imagine.

That is the reason why I choose to place the token on a scale. A quick look at other players and you can calculate how much they are getting from their works of art. I see that as important information in the game. But others may not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:

I already have a hard time trying to find token in other player's gallery (the images are too small)

I would love if tokens were made of wood (laser cut?) and stand vertically, but probably that would need board modifications..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

That is the reason why I choose to place the token on a scale. A quick look at other players and you can calculate how much they are getting from their works of art. I see that as important information in the game. But others may not.

Like we can keep track of what others are doing on top of ourselves!

Maybe after 20 more plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.