Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Ryan
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In reading the boards here, I've seen various suggestions and errata for 1st edition and some of the things that will be changed for 2nd ed.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to play 1st ed. until 2nd ed. comes out and to see if Jeremy by chance has thoughts as to full "official" way to play.

There may be more than this (and if so, please chime in on other suggestions), but I'm talking about things like:

- 1 wound per monster attacked w/melee (vs 1 wound/turn max with melee)?
- Shadowrifts shuffled in randomly or break up deck so one is definitely near the bottom of the deck?
- limit Heroism to 5/player?
- Monster Powers - put them out to start? What are V2 rules for Powers and how change them to adapt to V1?
- One post said you could lose by not being able to fill town, I believe, but then I didn't see that rule in the 2nd ed. rulebook - should we play with that for 1st ed, but not 2nd?

Thanks!
Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Go ahead and play with the 1 Wound per monster attacked rule. It doesn't change a lot, outside of crazy flanking combos.
Shuffling half the Shadowrifts into the top half of the deck and half into the bottom half...to me it makes the game more fun. Start having more fun immediately, I say.
You can definitely implement the 5/player rule for Heroism right away.

Monster Power cards work very differently in 2nd Ed. I wouldn't try to adapt 1st Ed copies to match. If the existing setup seems too easy, and you want extra challenge, then when you seal a Power put it aside and for the rest of the game "Activate Powers" actions on monsters still do the thing it says on the Power card (Don't double up on this - making 2 Power cards mean each Activate does the power twice - unless you're feeling like a vicious challenge mode).

Being unable to fill the town...I don't think it's worth worrying about. In all the games I've played and seen I've never seen it happen. So for 2nd Ed I'm not bothering to make a special rule that it kills you. I considered it when I was thinking up a kidnapping pixie kind of faction, but abandoned the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ryan
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome - thanks Jeremy for the quick and thorough reply - and for such an amazing game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Smeagol
msg tools
karishi wrote:
I considered it when I was thinking up a kidnapping pixie kind of faction, but abandoned the idea.

Even in the Fae faction I made, it didn't really happen, although that might be due to the fact that I kept having to shuffle a new type of infiltrator known as a Changeling into the Traveler deck.

I'd say that's because buying guards is both cheap, common, and a no-brainer action, and so you don't really lose too many of your non-guard villagers, thus keeping your population relatively constant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
When is 2nd edition being released? is this going to be on kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lylith82 wrote:
When is 2nd edition being released? is this going to be on kickstarter?

It already had a successful kickstarter campaign. Should come somewhere around the summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.