Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(must get my sea legs)

I have several British ships in the LC box on Lake Erie. Naval leader Barclay, with 1 sloop, is in Ft. Malden.

I want to evacuate Ft. Malden by water, but can't figure out how.

Can the ships move to Ft. Malden from the LC box? What strength strategy card would be needed to do this?

Could the ships then come under the command of Barclay, load up with troops and head out to a lakeside town? Could this all be done in one turn?

Or would Barclay need to sail out to the LC box, round up all the ships, bring them back and load them up? And again, what strength card needed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am no expert and it has been some time since I have played this game.

I believe the number on the card tells you how many ships you activate. You don't activate the land units, you just move into the port, load up, and move away. There is a naval movement cost chart that lays out the costs of this type of move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
There is a naval movement cost chart that lays out the costs of this type of move.

Yes, but that chart (p.15 in rule book) makes no mention of moving FROM a LC box. Hence my confusion. (And in the specific case I mention, I don't think even a '3' card would move enough ships to allow me to do the evac.)

Perhaps the only answer is to use a '2' card to move Barclay from Ft. Malden to the box (1 MP), pick up the other vessels (0 MP), return to the fort (1 MP), pick up however many land units I can (1 MP), move to a lakeside town (1 MP) and drop the troops off (1 MP). That's 5 MP, within the power of a naval leader.

Gilbert?

PS: In the game I played, the final year saw huge swings. The British held Ft. Malden until near the end. (Another Q: it's not specified as to whether you can retreat other than by water from a location like Ft Malden, but I assume you can't. One way in; same way out.) The US took one last try at the fort in 1814 and took it, then a last gasp effort to take lake Erie, which succeeded against the odds. But then the British took Lake Champlain, a front which had seen no action throughout the game, took Bladensburg and ruined the US economy for 4 VP, and captured Ft Niagara for another 4 VP - ended the game with 13 VP and a marginal victory!

Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I perused all the known errata and FAQ and found nothing about going to a Lakeside Town from the Lake Control box. I always assumed it was 1MP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Need the master...Gilbert...to answer this one wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Actually, this one is quite easy. I don't have the rulebook in front of me but I believe there is a good example in the playbook.

Remember that a naval leader has 6 mps and the key it gathering your ships together is via the naval leader. That is why during the first year of the war it is very difficult to have a large naval battle because the British have no naval leader that can gather together the vessels to make a fleet. Chauncey of course can do this which is why U.S. domination of the lake is virtually guaranteed.

I wish I could 'see' your example as I write this but the way Board Game Geeks constructs its reply I can't. But, the case goes something like this.
What you do is 'activate' your naval leader and start expending movement point, of course you can't go beyond '6' and thus the limitations of what you can and cannot do are built into the game.

Ex: Lets say Barclay is in the Lake control box with 2 ships and he wants to do a naval invasion somewhere on the lake. Lets say there are some British ships in Amherstburg and say 2 infantry units.

A) Barclay sails to Fort Malden (1mp)
B) picks up the other ships (free)
C) picks up one infantry (1mp)
D) now sails to Erie PA for example (another 1mp)
E) disembarks the infantry (another 1 mp)
F) either stays there and helps the infantry should it have to retreat or it could sail back into the Lake Control Box

As you can see in the above example Barclay has not exceeded his 6 mps. Now, if Barclay decided to stay at Erie and he did not leave any vessels in the lake control box, the British LOSE 2 VPS because they no longer own it.

It's actually pretty simple and elegant if you think about it. Note, that wth NO naval leader this particular move would be impossible.

Hope this helps and I hope that you are enjoying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilbert:

Many thanks. And your step A answered something that isn't specifically shown in the naval movement table (but yes, it's on p. 8 of the playbook) about moving from the LC box for 1 MP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.