• [+] Dice rolls
Henning B
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
The Penguin Always Knocks Twice - Walter Moers
mbmbmbmbmb
In my rounds I played everyone who claimed a role was immediately told that (s)he probably is on the bad side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not that good at Avalon (Hostile Intent) but I'd let it play out. My his would be that it was Morgana claiming looking for a reaction from Percy and/or Merlin. If I thought out was certainly Merlin making the claim I might counter claim to attempt to distract the Assassin from the possibility that it was Merlin claiming. I can't see that claiming Percy is a good idea most of the time.

This was mainly so I could not my thoughts down before I read some more experienced players ideas rather than as strategy advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kapitan Tutan
msg tools
I've seen a round where Merlin claimed as Percy and the "real" Percy let it play out and the result was fantastic. Merlin was recognized by Assassin as Percy and was never in danger of being shot.

I haven't seen the scenario where Morgana claimed Percy and the "real" Percy let it play out.

I think if real Percy contested it immediately and it happens to be Merlin: a disaster for the GOOD side.

I wanna know what will be the "real" Percy's general strategy in these kind of situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Brien
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I never claim to be a role. I just try to vote and act like I'm a given role. If your Percy you better try your best to figure out who Merlin is and draw attention from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
If my Merlin claimed I'd be like "Wow are you my Merlin I am your Percy!! GG SPIES RESIGN AND KILL ME NOW"

Or I'd be like "Wow you must be my Perc I am your Murray!!!"

I'd do the same as plain old rebel with anyone claiming anything.

Basically you just gotta confuse spies constantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
plissk3n wrote:
In my rounds I played everyone who claimed a role was immediately told that (s)he probably is on the bad side.
After I did this over and over as good, they'd stop saying that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fascinating to me. I've never played a game where someone claimed being Percy (or any other role). We've all claimed to be "good", of course, but never a role.

I think I might just try this next time we play, just to see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Silman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
We've never had a game where people actually claimed different roles.

But I can't see any advantage to arguing about who is what role as Percival. But I guess it depends heavily on your meta-game. Like how in most groups, when you add a "new" person to a mission with a team that has already passed, most groups (illogically) feel the new member is more suspicious than the previous ones. It's not a rational decision, but it effects the meta game.

So personally I would let them roll with it, and try and figure out who was actually Merlin from other information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tarrkid wrote:
This is fascinating to me. I've never played a game where someone claimed being Percy (or any other role). We've all claimed to be "good", of course, but never a role.

I think I might just try this next time we play, just to see what happens.

Don't do it unless the good team are in danger of losing. It's a desperation measure. If you're winning anyway, there's absolutely no need to risk it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Wong
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, claiming is less important than acting like Merlin and Percy. If all of us, except 1 rebel, are eager to go on missions, which are proposed by spies, then that spy mission leader will guess who the real Merlin is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends. I'm a big believer in the idea that you need to be unpredictable in Avalon - at least if you play with the same group over and over again.

For instance, we had some group think going on where most evil players would avoid picking other evil players for the quest, to avoid double failing. I countered that by, as an evil player, picking a team of all three evil players to go on the first quest in an 8-man game. It worked out amazingly as nobody suspected that we could possibly all be evil.

So depending on the situation I could see claiming Percival being a solid move for both Morgana, Merlin and the actual Percival. It is always going to be risky, but this is Avalon, unless everything is going your way you need to take some risks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.