Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Jansen
Denmark
Kastrup
Amager
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you return to Arkham from OW, you place an explored token and are ready to close the gate. But is the explored token removed if you move away from the gate without closing it (if you don't have enough clue tokens to use for an Elder Sign)? So that you have to do another OW encounter at the same gate when you return?

I have read different answers in different threads, which makes me confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The marker is removed as soon as the investigator leaves the location.

The rules say exactly that, so I do not know with what reason people would suggest otherwise.

Quote:
Rulebook, pg. 8. Other World Movement
[...] Then he places an "explored" marker underneath his investigator to show that he has explored the gate. This marker remains in play as long as the investigator remains at the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you leave the Location of the Gate you lose the Explored token. End of. No discussion.
on page 9 of the AH rulebook it is wrote:
If the investigator leaves the location before the gate is closed or sealed, discard the explored marker.

ninja'd but my quote is explicit. Of course this highlights the challenge of the rulebook as the quote is from an "exception" note in the "Gate" section of the Arkham Encounter phase description. Kinda hard to find when flicking through the rules. Which is why I have pdf copies of the rules to hand and use the Search function of my pdf reader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Jansen
Denmark
Kastrup
Amager
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much both of you.

So the best is to gather enough clue tokens to close the gate with an Elder Sign before entering it, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Casper Jansen wrote:

So the best is to gather enough clue tokens to close the gate with an Elder Sign before entering it, right?

In the majority of the cases yes, unless you have a real chance of winning by closing all gates on the board (and the investigators as a whole having gates trophies >= #Investigators.

Or the Ancient One is close to awakening due to the number of open gates

That´s the case with the gates that don´t open much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Casper Jansen wrote:

Casper,

Generally, yes, but also remember the Phases...someone could also get to you a Journal (for generating Clue tokens) or hand you an Elder Sign, as well.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Casper Jansen wrote:

My strong preference is to never intentionally go through a Gate unless I'm carrying 6 Clues: five to Seal the Gate and one in reserve to try to make sure that I don't waste my time going through the Gate in the first place.

Of course, if you know that somebody is going to be able to get an Elder Sign or a Tome to you when you Return to Arkham then timing your "Gate run" is important as time is of the essence in a game of AH. In these circumstances it may be sufficient to have one or two Clues to (hopefully) prevent delays in your passage through the Other World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
This conversation is confusing because it uses the term "Elder Sign" to refer both to a Unique Item (a card) as well as the flip side of a Doom Token.

When people are talking about using 5 clues, they are talking about closing a Gate with a successful dice roll against Lore or Fight, and then spending 5 clues to seal the gate by placing an Elder Sign Token, which is the flip side of a Doom Token. In this case the token is taken from the supply of unused tokens.

When people are talking about someone "handing you an Elder Sign" they are talking about a card found in the Unique Items deck which has unique powers for closing and sealing Gates. If an Elder Sign item is used (which destroys it, assuming the investigator pays the cost of using it) the Gate is sealed automatically and an Elder Sign Token is placed - in this case the token is taken from one of the Doom Tokens that is on the Great Old One's Doom track, effectively buying more time for the investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.