Bastiaan Reinink
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
In a previous post (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1517824/where-are-biggest-h...) I asked about the hurdles for the different steps of game design, based on my rough understanding of those steps:

1. Initial idea
2. Initial prototype
3. Play-testing
4. Develop the game (loop through 3 and 4 until done)
5. Write rule book
6. Artwork
7. Production / printing
8. Marketing
9. Sales

Do people know of any tools or services that can help with (one or more of) the steps above? And what are the downsides to those?

Two examples:
1. http://orteil.dashnet.org/gamegen has a "random game idea generator" which would be a tool for step one; no real downside
2. "A publisher" is a service for steps 6 to 9; downside is that it's very hard to get a publisher interested in your game


Thanks!
Bastiaan
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
If you do some googling you'll get a tone of answer. Stonemaer games (or whatever its called) has lots of blog resources. I will also be putting up blogs soon to cover these topics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Slaven
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I just discovered is that a cheap laser printer (Brother) with non-oem toner is cheaper per page than you'd think. When comparing with what FedEx Office charges for printouts, you save about $1 per page, so it pays for itself in less than a ream of paper. Of course, it is an expensive initial outlay ($450ish). I guess that what I'm getting to is don't assume something is expensive or cheap by just looking at the price tag, do a quick cost/benefit analysis before making a decision.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastiaan Reinink
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
JayProducer wrote:
If you do some googling you'll get a tone of answer. Stonemaer games (or whatever its called) has lots of blog resources. I will also be putting up blogs soon to cover these topics.

Of course I can google (and have done so), but I was also hoping for some input from people with personal experience. There is a lot out there and figuring out what is crap and what is not would take a long time...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BastiaanSquared wrote:
JayProducer wrote:
If you do some googling you'll get a tone of answer. Stonemaer games (or whatever its called) has lots of blog resources. I will also be putting up blogs soon to cover these topics.

Of course I can google (and have done so), but I was also hoping for some input from people with personal experience. There is a lot out there and figuring out what is crap and what is not would take a long time...


I believe that I posted the James Mathe blogs in your other thread, and you received them. He pointed me towards a bunch of board-gamer FB groups which you can join. They regularly post articles on how to create and publish games. Some of the many groups are:

Self Publisher Association

Board Game Revolution

On Board Games

Kickstarters for Gamers

Gamers Kickstarter Group

There are many more. You can network on those to find articles, get advice, etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastiaan Reinink
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
GeorgeMo wrote:
I believe that I posted the James Mathe blogs in your other thread, and you received them. He pointed me towards a bunch of board-gamer FB groups which you can join. They regularly post articles on how to create and publish games. Some of the many groups are:

Self Publisher Association

Board Game Revolution

On Board Games

Kickstarters for Gamers

Gamers Kickstarter Group

There are many more. You can network on those to find articles, get advice, etc.


Cool, thanks for this, I'll definitely take a look!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BastiaanSquared wrote:
GeorgeMo wrote:
I believe that I posted the James Mathe blogs in your other thread, and you received them. He pointed me towards a bunch of board-gamer FB groups which you can join. They regularly post articles on how to create and publish games. Some of the many groups are:

Self Publisher Association

Board Game Revolution

On Board Games

Kickstarters for Gamers

Gamers Kickstarter Group

There are many more. You can network on those to find articles, get advice, etc.


Cool, thanks for this, I'll definitely take a look!


Joined, thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
BastiaanSquared wrote:
JayProducer wrote:
If you do some googling you'll get a tone of answer. Stonemaer games (or whatever its called) has lots of blog resources. I will also be putting up blogs soon to cover these topics.

Of course I can google (and have done so), but I was also hoping for some input from people with personal experience. There is a lot out there and figuring out what is crap and what is not would take a long time...


Check out my blog guide:

http://www.pixygamesuk.co.uk/blog.html

Dont forget to pre-market your game and get plenty of reviews done. I will put a list of reviewers up on my blog sometime.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.