United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be playing Elder Sign SoA with some friends this evening. Not all are gamers, but are happy to try something new (yes, those kind of people do exist!).

We will be playing Elder Sign, SoA. I know, I know, go with the Museum and make it easy, but meh! I like all the extra mechanics and theme of the SoA level of play.

Having said that, is there any combination of GOO and 4 to 5 investigators that could possibly make it an easier path to victory vs just random GOO and investigators? I haven't played the game enough time to have figured this out for myself.

I did play a game with my wife using 4 investigators (2 each) where we faced the GOO that, upon the final battle his attack is "each investigaor discards a trophy or is devoured." (I don't remember the GOO's name) We actually won. Byt the third midnight we had accumulated 7 doom tokens and 1 elder sign that was removed by some effect. So we just hit easy adventures and hoarded trophies until the GOO awakened. Byt then we had enough trophies to keep everyone but one investigator alive long enough to win in the final battle. It does seem like a 2nd place victory not to have gbeaten him with Elder signs, but we have yet to put a game together with an Elder Sign victory was even a remote possibility.

Anyway, if someone has some ideas for universally strong investigators, or maybe a tailor made team of 4 to 5 (not sure how many players we'll have) and a specific GOO to battle I'd be gratefu;.

Otherwise we'll just wing it and likely be decimated. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jujo Vee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Azathoth or Yibb-Tstll with Jenny, Patricia, Amanda and maybe Marie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
I will be playing Elder Sign SoA with some friends this evening. Not all are gamers, but are happy to try something new (yes, those kind of people do exist!).

We will be playing Elder Sign, SoA. I know, I know, go with the Museum and make it easy, but meh! I like all the extra mechanics and theme of the SoA level of play.
So is this about you playing your game, or about introducing new people to the hobby? If it's the latter, you might want to rethink your approach. Of course I don't know your players, so I don't know how much of a challenge SoA will be for them - or their reaction to suffering a complete rout - but the mere existence of your question indicates that you have some doubts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
juujoo wrote:

Definitely Yibb because Final Battle vs Yibb is incredibly easy.

As for the investigators, I'd go with Jenny, Amanda, Joe and Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jujo Vee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
juujoo wrote:

Definitely Yibb because Final Battle vs Yibb is incredibly easy.

As for the investigators, I'd go with Jenny, Amanda, Joe and Jim

Very true. And Patricia, great as she is, is obviously not the best choice when playing against Yibb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yibb does reliably supply the experience of losing (on signs) and winning (in battle).

Jim and Amanda are tops in my list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although you wanted to show a challenge, I think it would be best to first do one or two games in the museum and then going to Streets.
For non-gamers trying Gates of Arkham as the intro into Elder Sign…
Just my two cents...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poke around on the stats site if you want a little more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Not to be greedy, but what might the easiest combo for winning on signs be? Seems winning in final battle is generally easier than signs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Poke around on the stats site if you want a little more information.

Excellent site!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where does one get the Arkham Nights promo cards? You would think these would be available on the secondary market here at BGG, but they seem rarer than witch's teeth!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely, you don't. If you poke around in the files section you might happen upon printable versions.

Also put too much emphasis in your ability to tell the difference between an official AO and a home print: the one official Arkham Nights AO I own has a different back so can't be drawn at random. Bad design decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fifth
United States
flag msg tools
For a win by signs, try Gloria. Free dice at Other Worlds is a huge boon. Azathoth is a good opponent for getting used to sign-hunting, since you won't be hindered by an ability during the game.

The five Arkham Nights promos were given out at yearly FFG events, but eventgoers have graciously posted them here at BGG (check the "expansions" entry on the Elder Sign game page) for the rest of us to try. Keep in mind that they're not particularly well balanced, especially for Gates of Arkham play! Try promo Shub in Arkham if you really want to get trounced.

Quick edit: My dream teams are Jenny/Joe/Monterey/Kate (base game, but still solid in Arkham) and Gloria/Patrice/Marie/Mandy (with expansions, though Marie can be tricky for a newbie to play). There are many strong investigators and fun synergies in the rest of the pool, though. And every ability and every item, even the seemingly weaker ones, can make all the difference if the time is right. I'll never forget when Jacq Conjured a Gate Box and Ashcan Pete Scrounged a Roadster to steal an impossible victory on the final tick. (You'll figure out what that all means in due time, don't worry!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update. My friend and I played against Cthulhu using two investigators. I forget who they were, but my friend was killed twice (so 3 for him) and I was killed once (2 for me) for a total of 5 investigators. We picked the first two (Jenny and Joe) and the other three we did randomly as we weren't sure who to pick anyway. We won on signs. Finally! We got help with decent site draws and a number of doom-token-removal rewards along with three or four non-advancement of clock rewards. It was close as he had only 3 doom tokens left when we flipped sites that were achievable and provided elder signs. But simply put, we won on signs.

Tonight we play as a family. My wife, son, friend, and myself. I think it will be more difficult with 4 players as each person will only get one turn before a clock advancement save for any clock-stopping rewards. Also, with four investigators the rewards seem to be spread a bit thinner giving each investigator a little less to work with. I'm tempted to try Cthulhu again, but with so many monsters (granted most are at least as difficult as Cthulhu if not moreso) I want to try a different beastie.

Was a lot of fun winning on signs. I'm so used to trying to win in a final battle, and prepping out investigators for the otherwise inevitable final battle, that it seemed like a very different game once we thought we had a chance with elder signs and played accordingly.

We slammed the door in your face Cthulhu. Lights out. Party over. Take your swamp-ass fishy smell back to the nether! -drops the mic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.