Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be the thematic reason why you need to clear the board and start from scratch each month?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is one. It just wouldn't make much sense to start a round with all cures already discovered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems weird that you name a disease after eradicating it. Then the next month it comes back. Didn't I just eradicate that disease?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
shallowz wrote:
What would be the thematic reason why you need to clear the board and start from scratch each month?

We live in the Matrix, and the the machines pack us away in a cardboard box every 28 days.

Personally, I'm hoping that eradication will drive the action in Season 2: each time you eradicate a disease, a strange new one pops up, the behaviour of which starts out as a mystery to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
Seems weird that you name a disease after eradicating it. Then the next month it comes back. Didn't I just eradicate that disease?

You eradicated the one version of the disease but it is still mutating and evolving. The new version is easier to cure (if you spent your upgrades on that) but it is still spreading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pelletier
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me - John 14:6
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:

September Spoiler
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Once you hit September and reveal Sgt. Davidson, you can assume that in addition to spreading COdA, he had a team of people who were spreading all of the other diseases as well. I'm picturing a bunch of guys who look like David Morse in Twelve Monkeys carrying hidden vials of infections from city to city. So every time our team cures or even eradicates a disease, they are spreading new strains into new cities every month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
I like to think of it as the flu. Every year there's a new flu vaccine that's based on the type of flu they expect to be most common that year.

Each vaccine is slightly different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The twelve months of a year were nice and evocative, but in many ways it would have made more sense for the game to be the years of a decade. Curing diseases simply doesn't happen that quickly.

Indeed, now I think about it, if you fit two games in a month and each game has at least 22.5 turns, that's 16 hours per turn or 4 hours per action. Those are some really quick planes, though perhaps some of the road trips and ferries are even more impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Doing some more of the maths, the Earth's circumference is about 40,000km so if you build research stations antipodeal to one another that's a 20,000km shuttle flight in four hours.

Which is mach 4 even without the airport transfers.

If the season instead represented a decade, shuttle flights would only have to average 310mph, which is rather more realistic in a 507mph Cessna Citation XLS+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:

Um... if you just lost the game one month because you were over-run by something then starting the game over with just a small hand of cards would be nearly impossible. As it is, the game normally has only 18 cubes on the board but to leave it as it was the game before could mean potentially double or triple that amount. Ouch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The gameplay reasons are extremely sound; OP was asking about the thematic reason.

Then again, it might actually have been possible to carry forward infection state from one game to the next.

For example, what if at the end of each game you pre-prepared the infection deck for the following game? Maybe you pull out the infection deck cards for every city that's not currently infected, shuffle those, stack them up, then shuffle and stack on top the cities with one infection marker, then those with two, and so on, with the most infected cities at the top.

That would mean the most infected cities at the end of one game would also be the most infected at the beginning of the next, without things getting out of hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Team Bravo cleans up after Team Alpha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Granite26 wrote:
I like to think of it as the flu. Every year there's a new flu vaccine that's based on the type of flu they expect to be most common that year.

Each vaccine is slightly different.

This is precisely how I think of it, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
The gameplay reasons are extremely sound; OP was asking about the thematic reason.

Then again, it might actually have been possible to carry forward infection state from one game to the next.

For example, what if at the end of each game you pre-prepared the infection deck for the following game? Maybe you pull out the infection deck cards for every city that's not currently infected, shuffle those, stack them up, then shuffle and stack on top the cities with one infection marker, then those with two, and so on, with the most infected cities at the top.

That would mean the most infected cities at the end of one game would also be the most infected at the beginning of the next, without things getting out of hand.

The only minor issue here is that it requires you to preserve card order from one game to the next - okay, you're already doing that with the Legacy Deck, but that comes with a pouch to help keep things in order, and the LD cards are numbered so you can recover the order if you accidentally drop them. There's no drop-recovery protocol for the Infection Deck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.