Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been going through these forum threads about the first and second edition differences and component quality and it's still all very confusing to me.

I'm going to the US later this year and am making a list of games I want to purchase and bring back. Discoveries was on that list and I've now come across a video of L&C and was intrigued. Seems like a game I will love and my partner will hate

So,

- I read about multiple printings of the First Edition. Did ALL 1st editions have quality issues and if not, any way to recognize a different printing? Or did only the copies from a certain publisher/language have the issues?

- Some responses also seemed to suggest the Second Edition had quality issues?

- The promo cards, are they first or second edition quality?

- How does Discoveries fit into all this? Are the game boxes the same size? The boards the same size? The cards the same quality? (compared to L&C 2nd Edition, I guess)

I might get both games if they sort of fit together in box shape and size, although I think L&C might be more to my liking to own. I realize they are different games in the same setting/universe, but any reason to only buy one of those?

My favorite games atm are Tokaido, Burgundy, Viticulture, Concordia, Istanbul.

Any help and or advise would be very welcome.

And, if you're in FL, please invite me to a game night in October/November

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:

- I read about multiple printings of the First Edition. Did ALL 1st editions have quality issues and if not, any way to recognize a different printing? Or did only the copies from a certain publisher/language have the issues?

No, by no means all. My copy, for example, was flawless, although the board warped for a time about six months into my ownership...and then the problem mysteriously went away!

Khonnor wrote:

There were very few problems with the second run.

Khonnor wrote:
- The promo cards, are they first or second edition quality?

No idea, I'm afraid!

Khonnor wrote:
- How does Discoveries fit into all this? Are the game boxes the same size?

Not at all! Discoveries is the smaller box. By the way: 1st edition L&C is rectangular, while the 2nd edition is square shaped. That should help you know which edition you're looking at!

Khonnor wrote:
The boards the same size?

Not at all! There's a rather small board in Discoveries, as opposed to the one in L&C.

Khonnor wrote:
The cards the same quality? (compared to L&C 2nd Edition, I guess)

Yes, in my opinion.

Khonnor wrote:
I realize they are different games in the same setting/universe, but any reason to only buy one of those?

My favourite of the two is Discoveries. Out of the five games you've listed, I've only played Viticulture and Concordia; and based on that, I very, very hesitantly say Discoveries may be more to your preference. There are certainly strong similarities between Concordia and L&C, but the differences between the two games are far greater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:
My copy, for example, was flawless, although the board warped for a time about six months into my ownership...and then the problem mysteriously went away!

Khonnor wrote:

There were very few problems with the second run.

There was discussion aplenty about the quality issues among the first edition of L&C. And I too read around before purchasing my copy. I ended up with a 1st edition copy (because the price was right), and the board quality (still same superb artwork) compared to your average euro can be likened unto the quality of a generic metal cast toy car to a genuine Hot Wheels® toy car. A fellow gamer I play games with owns a second edition and scoffed at my board the first time he saw it. Personally, I couldn't care less. I got what I paid for and then some as far as I'm concerned. It's a phenomenal game--one of my favorites.

But the point I really want to make is this: There were many reported quality issues with the first edition, legitimate or not. There were few to no reported quality issues with the second edition. If you're concerned about it, go for the second edition. It's the same great game with the same great artwork no matter which you get. You'll have to hunt down a first edition, and potentially contend with quality issues. The second edition is readily available, and is pretty much a sure bet on quality.

I can't comment much on Discoveries, except to say that it looks like a totally different game from what I've watched and heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the game debuted in Essen, Ludonaute realized the cards were miscut or something. They immediately produced new, then affixed the new cards on the copies they sold. The rest of the already printed inventory was supposed to be sold along with this new deck of cards, only due to some logistical errors many copies were shipped to the US without it. I don't know if there are still people that didn't receive replacements, but I'll be surprised if there are, given the company's responsiveness.

As for the second print run, there weren't "issues" in general. A single user created a thread about a problem with his copy and for reasons of his own generalised the issue to the print run, even before contacting/hearing back from the company.

To be fair, the second print run had a square box and a tad smaller board to fit within. Some people also reported that the colours may have been not equally bright, but to me the difference is almost non-existent, if any.

Bottomline: I wouldn't worry about getting a copy of either print run. It's a fantastic game anyway!

Promos are compatible with both versions.

Discoveries has nothing to do with L&C, except maybe (part of) the theme. It is a lighter, dice-based game. It doesn't have a playing board per se, just a "resting place" to put used dice. It does facilitate gameplay, but isn't used as most boards are.

I have and enjoy both games, but if I were to acquire only one, it would definitely be L&C. For me, it was the best game of 2013, one that I still highly enjoy and would never turn down an opportunity to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for your experiences!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Pastorius
United States
Great Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:
- How does Discoveries fit into all this? Are the game boxes the same size? The boards the same size? The cards the same quality? (compared to L&C 2nd Edition, I guess)

I might get both games if they sort of fit together in box shape and size, although I think L&C might be more to my liking to own. I realize they are different games in the same setting/universe, but any reason to only buy one of those?

Any help and or advise would be very welcome.

And, if you're in FL, please invite me to a game night in October/November

I now own both Discoveries and Lewis and Clark, and I love them both. Lewis and Clark is more of a thinking game with long thought out turns (especially for me in solo play). I could compare the thought process closer to Castles of Burgundy.

Discoveries is more fast paced with a bit more direct player interaction (taking dice back at the right moment can mess with plans devil). I feel like the cards in Discoveries are a bit heavier cardstock, but that might be in my head. I LOVE the dice in this game though. It might be that I love the feel of wooden components or that they seem to roll super easy, but they just feel different and awesome. I hadn't used wooden dice before this game.

So, I'd say yes to having both. Discoveries can be for when you don't want to think AS much or have more of a time constraint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.