Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Brooks
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to just choose 4 at random from the deck.

I'm curious to know what most players here do to choose their investigators.

Random or select specific ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm playing solo, my method these days is to draw 3 and choose 2.

When there are other players, I generally let them choose freely. If they aren't familiar with the game, I give them four characters (2 guys, 2 girls, drawn at random) to choose from. Then I try to pick a character that will balance theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I choose randomly. I usually only use 2 investigators when playing solo though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played solo with 2 so I may give that a go next time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
4 investigators, always random

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When I play solo, I usually use 4 investigators, sometimes 3. I choose them randomly, but pick out one more than I'm going to use, so I at least have some choice.

If any get devoured, I choose another random one and use either that one or the leftover one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep....For solo I do draw 2, pick 1, twice, to get two characters. When playing with others I offer either 2 or 3, then they pick one, then I do the same and pick one that complements theirs (if needed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm the oddball here. I cycle through *all* the investigators when playing solo, so each game I have new characters. Once I've gone through the whole deck I shuffle it up and start again.

I normally play with 2 investigators. Then I can have everything laid out within arm's reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
nerman8r wrote:
I guess I'm the oddball here. I cycle through *all* the investigators when playing solo, so each game I have new characters.

Same here, I forgot to add this to my post, thanks Michael. It's always random, but already selected characters are not selectable again until a complete rotation of investigators is done.

Also, since I want to be able to win with any investigators combo, if I lose a game, I play it again, with the same investigators, until I pull a victory (or go crazy trying )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
I guess I'm the oddball here. I cycle through *all* the investigators when playing solo, so each game I have new characters. Once I've gone through the whole deck I shuffle it up and start again.

Nah man, this is also my method (of madness) for most games with variable characters. Start with a full pool, set aside those that get played, draw the next people from the remaining pool until the pool is empty, then start again with full pool.

Single random, "you drew it, you play it" is my motto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
nerman8r wrote:

Nah man, this is also my method (of madness) for most games with variable characters. Start with a full pool, set aside those that get played, draw the next people from the remaining pool until the pool is empty, then start again with full pool.

Single random, "you drew it, you play it" is my motto.

I just choose the ones I feel like playing with at the moment, usually 3 because that is how many will comfortable fit on my table when I am playing solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We shuffle then fan them out and pick randomly then when our character dies we draw from the top of the deck only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.