Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I thought it would be fun to make a set of random encounter tokens.

I made them out of extra resource tokens from The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. I scanned my encounter tokens, printed them on sticker paper, and stuck them on the back. Presto! Random encounter tokens.

On the board there are nine of each encounters: Combat, Exploration, and Social. So, I made 11 of each token.

+ Place 27 of them randomly on the board, and keep the remaining six in a stack to the side.
+ When you decide to spend the two actions and have the encounter, then flip the token over to see which type of encounter you get.
+ When you reach the gem-refresh space on the time track, replace the spent ones with face-down tokens from the stack.
+ Then shuffle the ones you just removed, from the board, with the rest of the remaining tokens and make a new stack.

I like it quite a bit. It makes the game a little harder, but it increases the feel of adventure, at least for me. There were times when I needed money, and I wanted to fight a monster. However, I was unsure which encounters contained a monster. So, there is a little bit of push-your-luck. You might not have the time to waste on exploring the wrong encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your variant, when do you find out which type of token it is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what a neat idea I like it. I might actually try it out myself.

I will probably just draw them from a bag though and place them with the grey side face up to mark, which place has been explored. during the refresh phase I will simply put them back into the bag.

To answer the above question, I would assume, you have to commit 2 actions to adventure and then flip the token to see what card to draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
In your variant, when do you find out which type of token it is?

When you decide to spend the two actions to have the encounter, then you flip it over.

I'll add this to the main post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
To answer the above question, I would assume, you have to commit 2 actions to adventure and then flip the token to see what card to draw.

Well, maybe. It would be more strategic if you at least get to see the token before paying 2 actions to adventure, although I'm not sure how often it would matter. Or you could even have some other way of gathering information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another variant idea..

start with normal tokens but

when tokens refresh replace them with one these face down :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
LX1986 wrote:

Well, maybe. It would be more strategic if you at least get to see the token before paying 2 actions to adventure, although I'm not sure how often it would matter. Or you could even have some other way of gathering information.

yes, it would be more strategic. FFG designed it that way, so that players can choose what to do. But this is a variant, in which the surprise element matters. So like it or leave it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
yes, it would be more strategic. FFG designed it that way, so that players can choose what to do.

Well, no, FFG designed it so that you would know all of the locations and types in advance. If there were some way to get the information but at some cost that would be in between the two.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what he was proposing. Now I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
If there were some way to get the information but at some cost that would be in between the two.

One possibility would be to have it cost one action to have a sneak peek at the token (without the other players being able to see it), and then either a second action to proceed with the encounter or do something else.

This still keeps the adventuring cost at a total of 2 actions, but allows only a 1 action cost to be able to see if you want to avoid that encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe. It's hard to believe in that case people wouldn't almost always go through with it, though.

Even if you got to see the token in your space for free before deciding whether to spend 2 actions to adventure, most of the time you would still go ahead after spending the movement cost to get there, I think.

If you could look at the token when you enter the space and then choose to keep moving if you don't like it, that might be more interesting and would make the value of extra movement somewhat higher.

Of course I'm not really trying to change the OP's proposal, just thinking about alternatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all good with alternatives. It's about having fun the way you like best. I think spending one action to look at it, might be a nice way to do it. However, you'd still have to spend the two actions to go through with the encounter.

That one action could represent scouting out the area ahead rather than rush in with no idea what to expect.

For me, I like not knowing. It makes the encounter a gamble, of sorts. You don't always know what's waiting for you in the forest, of in the cave, so you'll only see what's there after it's too late.

This is just a fun variant, and I don't think I will use it every time. Just when I'm up for something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you spent an action to scout, you could consider letting the card be drawn and looked at also. Then spend another action to actually encounter it.

I agree with David d that having spent an action to see what gem type it is I can't imagine not spending another to actually draw the card. The only time might be right at the start if I got a Combat card but wasn't well enough equipped. But even then not all combat cards are battles, and not all the social/exploration cards are not battles.

Just an idea to add to the mix, personally I think it's fine as it is but I can certainly see the fun in adding a bit more uncertainty and variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For lazy people who would like to try it out putting normal tokens in the bug and drawing one token after you spent 2 actions for adventure would have the same effect. Then just put token you have drawn on the board to show this spot is used up. When tokens refresh just put tokens from the map back into bag.

You could also just shuffle all 3 types of decks together, then when you take adventure token you take card from the bottom, so you don't know what the back is. Or just put all your adventure cards in non-transparent sleeves. This would have different probability distribution than your variant though.

Personally I don't see much need, in every deck there's already few adventures of different types, so if you go for combat you might still get social or exploration quest.

By using 3 colored sleeves you might make alt decks for battle/social/exploration, where ratio of each type of quests would be different in base game. That would allow to still keep a bit of decision making relevant. For example having 16 cards with battles in battle deck and 7 social and 7 exploration would still make it most probable to get fights on red tokens, but you would have big chance of getting something else there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
mbmb
I love this idea. I've taken it a step further by adding icons for places you'd find across the landscape and put them on the "up" side of the tokens, so you're traveling to a structure or settlement and not merely a "gem". I just think it kind of adds to the immersion to see a cave or monastery on the distant hillside instead of a big round gem. . .

Also, my gems aren't quite as random, as I've tossed only a bit of variation into the [orange/green/purple] ratio for each terrain type - for example, you'll find no Social encounters under Mountain locations, but there is a chance for an Exploration. I love the look of the gameboard now populated with a variety of towers, camps, monuments, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s a fun way to do it. I like the terrain-specific backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
mbmb
azrael67 wrote:
I love this idea. I've taken it a step further by adding icons for places you'd find across the landscape and put them on the "up" side of the tokens, so you're traveling to a structure or settlement and not merely a "gem". I just think it kind of adds to the immersion to see a cave or monastery on the distant hillside instead of a big round gem. . .

Also, my gems aren't quite as random, as I've tossed only a bit of variation into the [orange/green/purple] ratio for each terrain type - for example, you'll find no Social encounters under Mountain locations, but there is a chance for an Exploration. I love the look of the gameboard now populated with a variety of towers, camps, monuments, etc.

I've uploaded these tokens to Files
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/163697/custom-adventure-g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.