Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play storm rare:
mastermind gets -2 attack this turn.

Mastermind is magneto with 8 attack, so he will go to 6 attack...

Magneto is defeated this turn using 6 attack, since i still have attack points remaining, if i want to hit magneto again, after that magneto still 6 attack or he goes back to 8 attack?

thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
dchamp wrote:
Play storm rare:
mastermind gets -2 attack this turn.

Mastermind is magneto with 8 attack, so he will go to 6 attack...

Magneto is defeated this turn using 6 attack, since i still have attack points remaining, if i want to hit magneto again, after that magneto still 6 attack or he goes back to 8 attack?

thanks in advance.

The card as written just drops the Mastermind's attack by two this turn - independent of the number of times you attack them.

Contrast this with one of Cable's commons :
Quote:
Strike at the Heart of Evil (5 copies)
Cost: 4
Ranged
-----
2+ Attack
You get +2 Attack only when fighting Masterminds.

Here, the two extra points of attack are used the first time you fight the Mastermind this turn, hence the effect only applies once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jemjar wrote:

Quote:
Ranged
-----
2+ Attack

Here, the two extra points of attack are used the first time you fight the Mastermind this turn, hence the effect only applies once.

I agree with your interpretation of Storm's card. I'm not sure I'm convinced with your interpretation of the Cable common. Would not each hit on the Mastermind be considered "fighting Masterminds," and thus give you +2 attack each time you do so? I could be persuaded either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:
I agree with your interpretation of Storm's card. I'm not sure I'm convinced with your interpretation of the Cable common. Would not each hit on the Mastermind be considered "fighting Masterminds," and thus give you +2 attack each time you do so? I could be persuaded either way.

Jemjar is correct. If the intention was to give you +2 attack each time you fight the Mastermind, the card text would start with the word "Whenever...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the nice features of this game is you don't need card "memory"
In Storm's case the mastermind is reduced by 2 for the turn. So yes if you attack a second time the mastermind is still reduced by 2

The Cable card is a +2 attack (I would have said Only useable against the mastermind) Cable contributes 4 attack against the mastermind. You don't need to know if it's the "first" time or not. You get 4 from Cable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:

It helps me to think of it more in terms of a "Point Pool" that your cards contribute to. In the case of Cable, under "normal" circumstances, each play of this card adds you 2/// to your pool of attack points. If you're attacking the MM, then the card adds 4/// instead. In each case, the points are already contributed when you attack and can't be dipped into again in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply guys..

I understand cable card well.. I don't ask for cable card.

I ask about storm card because i knew 100% galactus will go back to its original Attack after you defeated him once...The rules about galactus said He gets -3 attack for each same symbol you play... that thing is (-)minus attack.. so it seems similar to storm card wording...storm wording did not say "Mastermind gets -2 attack EVERYTIME you attack him... so i am confused with storm card.

So Is there an official clarification on this?

Again thank you for the replies..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dchamp wrote:
I understand cable card well.. I don't ask for cable card.

But someone else did!

dchamp wrote:
So Is there an official clarification on this?

Again, Jemjar's answer is correct. The card text is very straightforward, and I'm not aware of any disagreement as to its meaning.

If you only care about "official clarifications", you might want to download the FAQ, but it doesn't have an entry for this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jemjar wrote:

The card as written just drops the Mastermind's attack by two this turn - independent of the number of times you attack them.

galactus ruling also says "this turn".. but also rules says after you defeated him once he goes back to its original attack...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did have the FAQ. And read it more than once already. Yes. I am a geek too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
dchamp wrote:
Jemjar wrote:

galactus ruling also says "this turn".. but also rules says after you defeated him once he goes back to its original attack...

It's not a "Galactus" rule, it's the Cosmic Threat rule that specifically states you can only use Cosmic Threat once per turn per enemy. For speed I'm going to use the BGG stars in the place of the ranged icon in the rules :

The Fantastic Four rules sheet wrote:
If an enemy has Cosmic Threat: that means: "Once per turn, for each card you reveal, this Enemy gets -3/// this turn."

Clearly as it stands, Galactus is the only enemy where the "once per turn" thing matters, but the rule is the rule from the outset.

I brought up the Cable common card simply because it offers an obvious example of how the Storm rare could have been worded to make it obvious that the bonus is received only once.

sabird wrote:
Jemjar wrote:

Quote:
Ranged
-----
2+ Attack

Without the word "Whenever", that effect, like most card effects, would only take place once. We've had this discussion before, although no-one offered a worthwhile counter-argument at the time.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1415844/cables-strike-heart...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.