Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mounted Drizzt, revisited rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Beem
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I submitted this on the Wizkids site, but seeing as they may be busy prepping for Nationals, I thought I might run it by here.

So... The ruling about Drizzt on a Warhorse was that he cannot use both his named ability and the Warhorse upgrade. This made sense thematically (Drizzt's speed was a function of his fancy footware, which is useless on a horse) and by rules (a clarification was made that only one IMMEDIATE effect could take place by a player after any given action).

The thing is that there are two newer mounts, the Bulette and Giant Vulture, which do not have the same wording as the Warhorse (and the Giant Toad and Fire Strider). The Vulture replaces the dial altogether and the Bulette just says you have an effect if you overlap or are overlapped. By the Rules, it is clear that Drizzt should be allowed to make use of his boots and the mount. Thematically, this makes just as much sense as Drizzt's boots enhancing his horse-riding ability.

I don't envy the rules-folks for having to make a ruling on this. Either a ruling is made in favor of RAW, which flies in the face of any fluff; or you have to make a specific ruling for these specific card combinations (Drizzt on mounts).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any reason why his power wouldn't work with a vulture or bulette mount.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Beem
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
By rules, I totally agree.

But if you recall, they made the Immediate reaction limit specifically because it didn't make sense for Drizzt to benefit from his speedy boots while mounted... How are boots that are magically enhanced for running going to make him fly faster on a giant bird?

Not arguing so much as playing devil's advocate. Once Mr. Parks or the rules team says which way it's going I'll quit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Karlsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
AronR wrote:
I don't see any reason why his power wouldn't work with a vulture or bulette mount.


I agree with this.

Thematically it may make no sense but ruleswise it does. And I believe the reason the ruling was made was because drizzt on a warhorse became a bit to good zipping across the battlefield like Barry Allen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason rundell
United States
Adamstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck on a reply, they haven't answered any rules questions in a month and a half.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron R
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tangleword wrote:
Good luck on a reply, they haven't answered any rules questions in a month and a half.


Except on here. Andrew has done a good job with speedy (unofficial) responses to questions asked recently on BGG.

I can't speak to the thematics, as I am unfamiliar with the Drizz't novel material.

And my recollection was that the original ruling had less to do with Drizz't on a warhorse and more to do with other immediate triggers going off simultaneously. Drizz't just happened to be the catalyst (and first casualty) to solve the larger issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Kopacz
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the old ruling on warhorse:

http://wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4484&p...

Since there is no "immediate effect" from the vulture you should be ok?

The bulette might be different IF the consider his ability an "immediate effect."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording on Drizt's card is "After you reveal a non-Pivot Maneuver on your Maneuver Dial, you may immediately add +1 to your speed."
I would say yes to the Bullette's ability, but no to the vulture since it isn't Drizt's movement dial he is using.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you may combine Drizzt's ability with the Bulette and the Giant Vulture. Our main concern with Warhorse was the two immediate effects chaining off the same trigger.

Thematically speaking, maybe Drizzt's leg bracers of speed allow him to dig his spurs into those mounts faster? blush

And maybe he doesn't want to spur a horse too hard???

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Shagrat wrote:
The wording on Drizt's card is "After you reveal a non-Pivot Maneuver on your Maneuver Dial, you may immediately add +1 to your speed."
I would say yes to the Bullette's ability, but no to the vulture since it isn't Drizt's movement dial he is using.


Your universally refers to the creature the upgrade or ability belongs to. The giant culture says you...meaning the creature/rider...must use the Giant Vulture dial if in the air. It becomes your/the rider's dial while the vulture remains equipped and flying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Newell
Australia
Mayfield
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
Captain Shagrat wrote:
The wording on Drizt's card is "After you reveal a non-Pivot Maneuver on your Maneuver Dial, you may immediately add +1 to your speed."
I would say yes to the Bullette's ability, but no to the vulture since it isn't Drizt's movement dial he is using.


Your universally refers to the creature the upgrade or ability belongs to. The giant culture says you...meaning the creature/rider...must use the Giant Vulture dial if in the air. It becomes your/the rider's dial while the vulture remains equipped and flying.

Yep. Andrew already pointed out the ruling that it is ok, and I'm willing to concede the point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.