8 Posts

AssassinCon» Forums » General

Subject: Greetings from the designer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Binh Vo
msg tools
mbmb
Hi everyone! I'm the designer of AssassinCon and very excited to see it on Kickstarter and very grateful to everyone at Mayday Games and all of my playtesters for getting us here!

Feel free to ask me anything about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hi there! The game sounds really fun. Question on the board design: why are the player characters printed on the board? Is that where they start each round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Binh Vo
msg tools
mbmb
Hi, thanks for your interest!

The assassins in the game are vendors at the convention, so they are part of the game art, but their images on the board don't have a gameplay meaning. You can choose to start them in their own booths (where they are in the art) if you like, but it doesn't really affect gameplay since who is controlling which assassin is randomized and secret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Digby
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Binh, great game. I just got my copy yesterday and played it with my friends last night. My only question is about the BGG description, which says:
Quote:
Points are scored for successfully assassinating a player, identifying your would-be killer, or scaring players into making mistakes as a ghost from beyond the grave, so even dead players are still in on the action!

When we played last night, the rulebook says that during the Elimination Phase, remove eliminated assassin pawns from the board (p.12). Doesn't this mean that the other players will be able to figure out who killed who and that the dead player cannot do anything else in the round? How could the dead player still scare the other players once his pawn is removed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otto Silver
South Korea
Gunpo
Gyeonggi
flag msg tools
mb
On p6, end of the Planing Phase:
Quote:
Eliminated players also contribute cards during this phase with the goal of spooking other players into Calling Guards on them (see next page).

When I read this I assumed that the player tokens stay on the board because why would someone call a guard on an obviously eliminated player?

But there it is, in bold.
p11
Quote:
...remove their Assassin Pawn from the board.

p12
Quote:
Remove Eliminated Assassin Pawn from the board.

"Hey, Johnny Boy, I see you're chilling there in the eliminated player section, a.k.a. off the board. I think you are pretending to be eliminated. I'm calling the pigs on you!"

Nope, not going to happen.

With the creator not answering I'd suggest we keep the standees on the board and ignore that part of the instructions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Digby
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OttoSilver wrote:

p11
Quote:
...remove their Assassin Pawn from the board.

p12
Quote:
Remove Eliminated Assassin Pawn from the board.

Page 11 is the Introductory Game, and Calling Guards is not part of that game. Note that changes to the normal rules are highlighted in bold on that entire page (notably Calling Guards and removal of player pawns). Since removal of player pawns is highlighted as a rules change in the Introductory Game, player pawns are not removed during a normal game.

Page 12 is the sequence of play reference, and although the removal of pawns is listed there, it is bolded (just like in the introductory game, and unlike the entire rest of the sequence of play).

Nowhere in the actual rules does it mention anything about removing player pawns at all.

I think the bold section in the sequence of play is either a remnant of an earlier version of the rules or specifically for the Introductory game, but not properly indicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.