Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know we're still a few data packs away from this HB ICE, but if anyone can clarify this usage as correct/incorrect, I would appreciate it.

The particulars:

Magnet
ICE: Code Gate • Rez: 3 • Strength: 3 • Influence: 1
When you rez Magnet, host a program on it that is hosted on an installed piece of ice.
The text box of each program hosted on Magnet is blank.
End the run.

Test Ground:
Asset • Rez: 0 • Trash: 2 • Influence: 2
Test Ground can be advanced.
: Derez 1 card for each advancement token on Test Ground.

So let's say I rez Magnet and draw a Parasite away from another piece of ICE. The Parasite remains in place and doesn't accrue tokens because its text box is rendered blank. I then could use Test Ground to derez Magnet.

The way I interpret the rules, the Parasite would remain on Magnet. If another Parasite (or Caissa) program were used somewhere, I could then rez Magnet again if its server is run, and collect a second Parasite there. Rinse and repeat.

Since Parasite doesn't accrue tokens, that copy of Parasite couldn't destroy Magnet, nor could it use tokens from Datasucker (because the text box is blank).

Is this correct, or am I misinterpreting a crucial detail? This also seems like an interesting (if the only one) usage of Test Ground, which I otherwise wouldn't bother including in a deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its been a while since I've played so the rules aren't fresh in my head, but when you derez Magnet, would it continue to host the Parasite? If not, would it go to the Runner's heap? As for the rez/unrez bit you are asking about, I don't see why that can't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you de-rez Magnet, Parasite would actually start to gain tokens. The question is though, when you rez the ice, does it blank the parasite before it dies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you derez Magnet, wouldn't the hosted programs regain their text?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
When you de-rez Magnet, Parasite would actually start to gain tokens. The question is though, when you rez the ice, does it blank the parasite before it dies?

This would devolve to who's turn it is, since their stuff "goes first", which means during a Run on the Runner's turn Magnet wouldn't have chance to blank out the Parasite.

During a Run on the Corp's turn it would (that's possible now, isn't it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had overlooked the situation in which Magnet derezzes, allowing Parasite to start accruing tokens again (since the text box is no longer void).

The question then becomes, can Parasite trash an unrezzed piece of ICE? Also, the next time Magnet is rezzed, would the accumulated tokens allow the Runner to trash Magnet before it blanks the Parasite's text again?

ninja'd.

Thanks. And yes, I could see an edge case where I rez Magnet with Executive Boot Camp.

This might be a reasonable FAQ submission...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:

This would devolve to who's turn it is, since their stuff "goes first", which means during a Run on the Runner's turn Magnet wouldn't have chance to blank out the Parasite.

During a Run on the Corp's turn it would (that's possible now, isn't it?)

Actually they're both Constant effects, so there's no priority at all. The moment Magnet is rezzed, any hosted programs are blanked. I would say it stops parasite cold, because there is never a moment in the game where Magnet has a Strength value that Parasite can reference while not also simultaneously blanking the Parasite in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official clarification is required, of course, but my intuition says that Magnet is not trashed. As long as Magnet is rezzed, Parasite has no text, and therefore cannot use that text to trash Magnet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it follows from the official FAQ; If the ICE hosting Parasite is derezed, Parasite remains hosted and continues to build counters. However the ICE has no Strength until rezzed, so cannot be trashed through Parasite until it's rezzed again.

As soon as magnet is rezzed its text is blank, so it is not trashed. The same happens if you magnetize a parasite with 10 tokens. Magnet will not be trashed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommygunn2011 wrote:
The question then becomes, can Parasite trash an unrezzed piece of ICE?

No, parasite only trashes rezzed ICE. Unrezzed ICE does not have a strength value so parasite's conditional ability is never met. See the "clarifications" section of the ANCUR page:
http://ancur.wikia.com/wiki/Parasite

tommygunn2011 wrote:
Also, the next time Magnet is rezzed, would the accumulated tokens allow the Runner to trash Magnet before it blanks the Parasite's text again?

See CommissarFeesh's response above. Magnet's "blank" ability is a constant effect and does not follow the priority assignment for triggered abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.