Popular Tags: [View All]
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first game of Dominion in ages (some weird players in my group felt that we’ve had a overdose) saw me drawing random piles from my two latest expansions, as well as Seaside. Because, you know, duration cards...

Hamlet
Haven
Warehouse
Farming Village
Plaza
Salvager
Treasury
Hunting Party
Explorer
Fairgrounds

That’s essentially four villages, and a bunch of non terminal or village like cards. A lot of potential for a village idiot, but no one fell into that trap at least. A very limiting kingdom, with lots of extra action, but no useful actions. Also, no real way to get rid of those pesky Coppers.

While trying to come up with something useful, I followed along in the obvious move; Salvager to trash Estates. I even considered a second Salvager to speed this up. Once the estates were gone, I could trash one Salvagers and most likely get a Gold.
In the end, luck of the draw allowed me to get rid of my Estates quickly.

Looking back, I wonder what would’ve happened if I’d gotten a bunch of extra Salvagers to trash for money, allowing me to go for more expensive cards that way…?

Anyway, two other players were going hard on Explorers, and their steady flow of Silver was a bit worrying. It turned out to be just a bit too slow though.

Meanwhile, I was able to use Farming Village to cycle through my deck and get treasures into my hand rather effectively. I used this to mostly get Gold, and then repeated the formula to get Provinces. So… Big Money with Farming Village as kicker… I guess…

I wasn’t the first to get a Province, but I was the only one to do so consistently. I ended the game when I bought my fourth Province. The second best player had three, with two Estates left.
One player, who misunderstood a few cards, ended up with only two Provinces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Boyle
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like a Hunting Party stack with 1 Explorer here would be pretty solid, especially if the others were ignoring the HPs. Even if it took a bit to build to provinces, the explorer keeps adding silver to it, and your HPs will skip over extra silver if you're hunting for a specific unique card. A haven or two would be helpful to set aside a province to link up the explorer and start bringing in the gold. I don't know that it's necessarily the dominant strategy but I like when I can actually make Explorer a useful card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
D Bo wrote:
I feel like a Hunting Party stack with 1 Explorer here would be pretty solid, especially if the others were ignoring the HPs. Even if it took a bit to build to provinces, the explorer keeps adding silver to it, and your HPs will skip over extra silver if you're hunting for a specific unique card. A haven or two would be helpful to set aside a province to link up the explorer and start bringing in the gold. I don't know that it's necessarily the dominant strategy but I like when I can actually make Explorer a useful card!

You're all mean to Explorer. I like Explorer. A lot better than Tournament, that's for sure.

But yes, I think this is along the right lines: one Salvager for clearing out should be enough and then hit the Hunting Parties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.