Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
Avatar
mbmbmb
Let me just say, I've become very flustered and discouraged by these rules. The one I'm trying to wrap my brain around right now is: what happens to an encounter card after it's revealed by a hunter's search action?

If it was revealed by an ambush it's very clear. Per the Ambush rules on page 3 of the rules reference book, "After resolving the encounter card's effect, Dracula must discard that card unless it specifies otherwise."

You might assume then that you would discard the card after resolving the effect after a search as well. However, the rules don't state this.

Per the Search rules on page 13 of the rules reference book, "When a hunter performs a search action, Dracula must reveal any encounter cards that are not already revealed from the hideout or lair the hunter currently occupies. Then, he resolves the text on that encounter card, ignoring any matured effect, in the order of the hunter's choice."

Now, you might zero in on the "ignoring any matured effect" part. But does that mean ignoring it for now, or forever?

Because under the Reveal rules on page 12 of the rules reference it says, "When a card in a hideout or lair is revealed, that card remains faceup until that hideout or lair is cleared or matured."

So, it seems to me that cards are to be discarded unless otherwise mentioned if done through ambush, but if done through a search the cards remain faceup on the location card. Does that make sense?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
We played our first game last night and this confused us as well.

So today I researched this issue. There is an official FAQ from Fantasy Flight Games at https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/47/b7...

I also watched an excellent 'how to play' video on YouTube.

These resources made it clear that, regardless of whether the encounter card is revealed by ambushing or searching, unless it is a vampire card or specifically states otherwise, it is discarded after being resolved.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
DreadFool wrote:
We played our first game last night and this confused us as well.

So today I researched this issue. There is an official FAQ from Fantasy Flight Games at https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/47/b7...

I always watched an excellent 'how to play' video on YouTube.

These resources made it clear that, regardless of whether the encounter card is revealed by ambushing or searching, unless it is a vampire card or specifically states otherwise, it is discarded after being resolved.


Correct - encounter cards are always discarded after being resolved, whether by ambush or searching, unless stated otherwise.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
Avatar
mbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
DreadFool wrote:
We played our first game last night and this confused us as well.

So today I researched this issue. There is an official FAQ from Fantasy Flight Games at https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/47/b7...

I always watched an excellent 'how to play' video on YouTube.

These resources made it clear that, regardless of whether the encounter card is revealed by ambushing or searching, unless it is a vampire card or specifically states otherwise, it is discarded after being resolved.


Correct - encounter cards are always discarded after being resolved, whether by ambush or searching, unless stated otherwise.


Thanks to both of you for that. Now, just to be clear, let me take it one further. In those few cases where the encounter card is to be returned face up to the hideout, does the matured effect trigger when the hideout is matured even though the other "regular" effect has happened? This is where the "ignore the matured effect" part of the rule may come into play. Do you ignore the matured effect in that moment when the card is revealed and the other effect happens? Or do you ignore the matured effect, not only at that time, but also when the hideout itself matures once the other effect has happened?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
Orion3T wrote:
DreadFool wrote:
We played our first game last night and this confused us as well.

So today I researched this issue. There is an official FAQ from Fantasy Flight Games at https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/47/b7...

I always watched an excellent 'how to play' video on YouTube.

These resources made it clear that, regardless of whether the encounter card is revealed by ambushing or searching, unless it is a vampire card or specifically states otherwise, it is discarded after being resolved.


Correct - encounter cards are always discarded after being resolved, whether by ambush or searching, unless stated otherwise.


Thanks to both of you for that. Now, just to be clear, let me take it one further. In those few cases where the encounter card is to be returned face up to the hideout, does the matured effect trigger when the hideout is matured even though the other "regular" effect has happened? This is where the "ignore the matured effect" part of the rule may come into play. Do you ignore the matured effect in that moment when the card is revealed and the other effect happens? Or do you ignore the matured effect, not only at that time, but also when the hideout itself matures once the other effect has happened?


If the encounter drops off the trail, the mature effect can be used. What the rules are saying is that the mature effect only happens when the card drops off. It does not matter how many times the normal effect has been used due to ambushes or searches previously.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximuss wrote:
Let me just say, I've become very flustered and discouraged by these rules.

Welcome to the frustration club. The good news is that the underlying structure of the game is basically sound, and the mechanics work -- once you figure out how they are supposed to work.

The bad news is that there are MANY examples where you want clarification of a basic game concept -- such as how SEARCH actions interact with ENCOUNTERS -- and when you look up the rules (even in the Reference) important things are unaddressed. You can usually eventually get at the correct answer by reading 5 different sections and making an inference, but it is frustrating, wastes your time, and should be completely unnecessary.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Michel
msg tools
Oh yes... the rulebook is terribly written. FF made a good decision to split the rules. BUT the reference rules aren't clear. And that's not this games exclusive problem. To me, the gaming mechanic could also be like this:

The search action allows to reveal the encounter card. If it's a vampire, you can get rid of it by defeating it. Other cards can remain, since they do not have the effect to score.

More senseless than the official statement to discard, but the rules declare nothing else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dicecrusher wrote:
The search action allows to reveal the encounter card. If it's a vampire, you can get rid of it by defeating it. Other cards can remain, since they do not have the effect to score.

That's not right. As the OP quoted from the RR:
"When a hunter performs a search action, Dracula must reveal any encounter cards that are not already revealed from the hideout or lair the hunter currently occupies. Then, he resolves the text on that encounter card, ignoring any matured effect, in the order of the hunter's choice."

You seem to be leaving out the underlined part. Here's what happens:
1) The hunter declares a SEARCH action.
2) All encounters at the location are turned face up.
3) The hunter will now face each encounter, one by one.
3a) The hunter chooses the order s/he will face the encounters.
4) Each encounter is resolved (activated) according to the (non-matured) text on the card.
5) Unless it says otherwise on the card, or it is a vampire which is not killed, the encounter is now discarded. (It does not mature.)

Two side notes:
A) It doesn't matter, for SEARCH or AMBUSH, if an encounter is already face up on the location.

B) I believe that if a searching/ambushed hunter is defeated before facing all encounters, the remaining encounters would remain on the space - unresolved. (Not sure about this point.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:

B) I believe that if a searching/ambushed hunter is defeated before facing all encounters, the remaining encounters would remain on the space - unresolved. (Not sure about this point.)


Now that's an interesting scenario that I never considered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.