Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Fritsch
Germany
Aschaffenburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Guild Ballers,

Can you please help a gamer who is terribly hooked by guild ball and is now trying to pass the time by reading the fluffy rules until the game components become cheaper...

I have a problem with the rules for Momentum. One option is to spend it for a goal kick and the rules say the following:

Shooting:
During its activation, an active model that wants to attempt
a Shot on goal must spend [1] MP.
As the Shot is a Kick action the active model must also still
spend [1] Influence.

Where is my advantage in using MP for that shot on goal, if I still have to spend 1 INF like for a normal kicking action?

It would make sense to me if by using MP, I could increase the model's max. kicking distance or if I could make the kicking action without the model being activated, but I don't see any diference besides the "Momentum Kicking" being more expensive...

Can you please tell me what I am obviously missing here?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascon wrote:
Where is my advantage in using MP for that shot on goal, if I still have to spend 1 INF like for a normal kicking action?

There is no "advantage". The thing is, you cannot perform a shot on goal without momentum. You need it to do the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct - you can:

1. Pass to a friendly player. 1 Influence and the player must be within your kick range.
2. Kick to space. 1 Influence and the target must be an empty spot on the pitch within line of sight and your kick range.
3. Shoot on goal. 1 Influence and 1 Momentum. Goal token must be within your kick range.

Note that it is not possible to score except when taking a shot or snap shot action. If a kick scatters into the goal token it simply stops when in contact and no goal is scored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascon wrote:
Hi Guild Ballers,

Can you please help a gamer who is terribly hooked by guild ball and is now trying to pass the time by reading the fluffy rules until the game components become cheaper...

Also I wanted to comment on this in case you were not aware - all components to play the game are available as free pdf downloads from www.guildball.com ! You can download and print out stand up player pieces and the cards for the players, as well as the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Fritsch
Germany
Aschaffenburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you Kwakkie!

Re-reading my post, it also hit me in the face that shooting and kicking are complete different things here and that 1 MP is a requirement to shoot a goal as part of a kicking action.

I don't know if I like the rule though (I have to play the game to see how hard/easy it is to score goals in general) and I think that it should be mentioned somewhere under the kicking section of the rules that MPs are needed for goalscoring.

Anyway, thanks for putting this straight for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Fritsch
Germany
Aschaffenburg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:

Also I wanted to comment on this in case you were not aware - all components to play the game are available as free pdf downloads from www.guildball.com ! You can download and print out stand up player pieces and the cards for the players, as well as the rules.

Thank you for that tip and also for your listing above. I have seen the downloadable proxys already, since I'm lurking around that website a few days now, fighting my inner temptation of filling that bloody shopping cart. cry

This is a very nice service of Steamforged Games and I think it is exactly what I will do to see if it's worth getting into for me. Only the stand up players won't do for me. But there should be enough other Minis on my shelf, who would love to fight it out on the football pitch.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascon wrote:
Thank you Kwakkie!

Re-reading my post, it also hit me in the face that shooting and kicking are complete different things here and that 1 MP is a requirement to shoot a goal as part of a kicking action.

I don't know if I like the rule though (I have to play the game to see how hard/easy it is to score goals in general) and I think that it should be mentioned somewhere under the kicking section of the rules that MPs are needed for goalscoring.

Anyway, thanks for putting this straight for me.

The momentum requirement for shooting on goal is definitely a needed balance mechanism. There are a lot of players in the game that can reliably score from 20+" out of goal, so without the need for momentum winning the initiative die roll is too strong. It's still very possible to gain a momentum on the way to scoring that goal on first activation, but it at least puts some control in the hands of the other player to not get caught in that position. Having played a few dozen games so far, I can say this is a very well designed and balanced game, so any rule that seems odd is almost certainly there for a balance reason.

On the second point, I should also point out that Steamforged has released a very good Vassal module, also for free. You can use this to play solo and learn the game, or play online against other people.
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Guild_Ball
There is a dedicated Facebook group to match players up as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/901202099948458/

Let me know if you have any more questions, I highly recommend this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.