Antike II» Forums » Rules

Subject: Need clarification: destroying a temple for my final point rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Snider
msg tools
Hi! I need some clarification on the rules:

"Any deserved personages are awarded at the end of a turn."

"If a nation is short of winning by only 1 personage, it may win the game by destroying a temple, even if the bank has no more general on offer."

This came up in our game today. I needed two personages to win, and there was only one Great General left in the supply. In a single turn, I moved out a lot of troops and destroyed two temples. Do I win? Can I claim the single Great General and use the short-by-one exception to win, all in one turn? Or would I have to start a turn short by one in order to use that exception?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
SniderThanYou wrote:

This came up in our game today. I needed two personages to win, and there was only one Great General left in the supply. In a single turn, I moved out a lot of troops and destroyed two temples. Do I win? Can I claim the single Great General and use the short-by-one exception to win, all in one turn? Or would I have to start a turn short by one in order to use that exception?
Thanks!

I'd say yes (you win). I checked the original german rules, too: there's no mention to the concept of "having to START a turn short by one...".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RickNash wrote:
I'd say yes (you win). I checked the original german rules, too: there's no mention to the concept of "having to START a turn short by one...".

I agree. Seems like a no-brainer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Snider
msg tools
My concern is that, if the rules are read literally, I must be one personage short, THEN destroy the temple, to claim victory. Since personages are not awarded until the end of turn, I am actually two personages short when I destroyed both temples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
SniderThanYou wrote:
My concern is that, if the rules are read literally, I must be one personage short, THEN destroy the temple, to claim victory. Since personages are not awarded until the end of turn, I am actually two personages short when I destroyed both temples.

The rules are pretty clear that the moves of individual pieces are sequential. The Action example in the rules has one force destroy an opposing fleet so another fleet can go through that sea in order to attack a city.

Even though the first fleet attacks on its second move and the second fleet passes through on its first move, the game has no concept of simultaneity.

While turns do have the phases, select action then found cities then collect personages, the lack of simultaneity suggests you collect one personage then try to collect another but win instead.

Also, Mac Gerdts is a good and experienced designer. If he didn't want someone to win by your method, he would have put it in the rules explicitly. Antike is supposed to be a fast Civ game, so any interpretation that slows it down is probably incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Karvounis
Greece
Moschato
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it:

1) The turn ends, time to get your awards!
2) Get one Great General for the 1st destroyed temple, now you are short of winning just by 1 more personage
3) Get one more Great General for the 2st destroyed temple. Oops! There are none left! No worries, you win anyway since you are only missing 1 personage now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.