Dan Petricini
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you GG poor?

Are all your microbadges contest giveaways?

Are you avatarless?

I want to buy someone an avatar because I have too much GG that I'll never spend.

Just reply to this post and I'll randomly pick a lucky avatarless winner after a few days.

If you want to pander, tell me some gaming story, or something about Star Wars/Trek, or comic books, or movies...

Good day and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind an OverText, if you're up for it.

Gaming story...we'd just started our gaming group, and my brother/his girlfriend were in town from Michigan, so we were a pretty big group. We'd already found some favorites in the last few months and I'd gotten a pretty good read on what the group liked/disliked.

Well, we had this one fellow, first-timer with his wife. He is a pretty talkative guy and not too hip on social interactions. He'd brought Ultimate Werewolf with him, saying it was his favorite game.

First, we split into 2-3 groups and brought out a couple different games. I was teaching Escape: Curse of the Temple and realized I needed to get the soundtrack, so I went into our back room. By the time I got back, this guy had already pulled out Ultimate Werewolf and was trying to teach it to the other players, just as we were about to start Escape. We got him to put it away and played one game of Escape just as the other two groups of Dixit and Hanabi were wrapping up.

This guy wants us to play werewolf, so about half of us say OK (about half sat out because they weren't interested in the game) and sit around. I think one or two of us had played it before, and it's basically Mafia.

Long story short, the guy was an awful narrator, didn't tell a story at all, just hit someone with "You're dead." There were maybe six to eight of us playing but the round went by really quickly. A few people came late and he immediately drafted them as well. After the third round we were all sick of it and politely declined any more rounds.

Several more games hit the table that night, and his wife continued playing, but for the rest of the night he sat on the couch next to his wife and didn't say a word to anyone. They haven't come back to game night since. . .

Anyways, it was an interesting start to a new game group and pretty bumpy at several points. Luckily, we've mostly fit into a groove with some regulars and I think if the situation came up again we'd feel more comfortable telling him that no one was interested in playing the game, or maybe suggesting that someone else narrate or something.

Hope that counts as a "gaming story"
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've clearly not discovered the monthly Games for Geek Gold contest. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petricini
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice story! Enjoy your overtext!

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kurka

Vienna
Österreich
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd love to have an avatar!
but I only have 7 GeekGold because I had to buy microbadges to my 2 favourite gamescry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Brown
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently taken a love of miniature painting and I'd love to get a couple micro badges to support that! All my badges are primarily from contest give aways! Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Brown
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThankblankYoublankBundles:!::!::!:

With this donation, I've been lucky to get a couple micro badges that help fill my page with those little personal touches! I'd add the badge here buy I don't know how to :X

Point is, a gigantic thank you to my angel investors! Your generosity will be paid forward. Blessings, Tiffany
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you still have geek gold burning a hole in your pocket, but if so, an avatar would be a very nice thing to have . I have been a board game player for most of my life, but I am new to BGG and geek gold is something that I have yet to acquire.

A gaming story (hopefully you are familiar with Avalon...otherwise it isn't a great story): My husband and I (and our toddler) went to a friends house for a game night last weekend. There were 8 people who showed up so they decided that we should play Avalon (unfortunately, as I am terrible at lying). We have played this game with them several times in the past, and my husband has always been randomly assigned an evil character. The character cards were delt out and we went through the opening process where the evil people learn who their compatriots are (my husband was evil, again)...then it was revealed that a toddler had wandered off with the Merlin card, so we had to start over. We re-delt and started again. After a heated and debate filled game it came down to one final mission to determine whether good or evil would prevail. My husband assigned a team, it got vetoed (in part by me), and it was down to me to decide on a team for good to win. I was convinced that my husband was evil again, so I picked the opposite team, and good lost spectaculaly. It turned out my husband was finally a good character...Merlin. Oops. (Meanwhile another person playing the game hadn't said a single word the whole game, at the end he pipes up and says "let's play again I like this game", we said "you do? You've been awfully quiet." To which he replied "I like watching everyone else get into it, it's more fun to observe than to participate." To each their own I suppose.)

Also a random Star Trek tidbit for you (I used to love Reading Rainbow as a kid, and Lavar did an episode on Star Trek special effects that was one of my favorites): Back in the days before cgi, they used to film through a glass of water and glitter (aluminum tidbits) that they swirled around to get the effect of being beamed up. I always thought that that was very clever, and deceptively simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty James
United States
Gladstone
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'd play a game in your honor. An avatar would be rad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sleep
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how long I watched Scrooge McDuck swim in the looping gif you posted, but it was longer than necessary. Looks like fun, and reminds me of how good the show (and the comics before it) were.

Random thought: Now I wish there were a McDuck (and a Flintheart Glomgold) clan player screen for Isle of Skye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Sheng
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedgepig wrote:
I don't know if you still have geek gold burning a hole in your pocket, but if so, an avatar would be a very nice thing to have . I have been a board game player for most of my life, but I am new to BGG and geek gold is something that I have yet to acquire.

A gaming story (hopefully you are familiar with Avalon...otherwise it isn't a great story): My husband and I (and our toddler) went to a friends house for a game night last weekend. There were 8 people who showed up so they decided that we should play Avalon (unfortunately, as I am terrible at lying). We have played this game with them several times in the past, and my husband has always been randomly assigned an evil character. The character cards were delt out and we went through the opening process where the evil people learn who their compatriots are (my husband was evil, again)...then it was revealed that a toddler had wandered off with the Merlin card, so we had to start over. We re-delt and started again. After a heated and debate filled game it came down to one final mission to determine whether good or evil would prevail. My husband assigned a team, it got vetoed (in part by me), and it was down to me to decide on a team for good to win. I was convinced that my husband was evil again, so I picked the opposite team, and good lost spectaculaly. It turned out my husband was finally a good character...Merlin. Oops. (Meanwhile another person playing the game hadn't said a single word the whole game, at the end he pipes up and says "let's play again I like this game", we said "you do? You've been awfully quiet." To which he replied "I like watching everyone else get into it, it's more fun to observe than to participate." To each their own I suppose.)

Also a random Star Trek tidbit for you (I used to love Reading Rainbow as a kid, and Lavar did an episode on Star Trek special effects that was one of my favorites): Back in the days before cgi, they used to film through a glass of water and glitter (aluminum tidbits) that they swirled around to get the effect of being beamed up. I always thought that that was very clever, and deceptively simple.

Hey Kailey! Head on over to No Geek Left Behind https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/475312/no-geek-left-behind-...! Its literally for people just like you. who want an avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link! Another kind user has tipped me enough geek gold to buy an avatar (thank you!), so I am no longer in need, but I appreciate the information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>_>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adastra
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I too late to ask for an avatar? I'm probably too late. Am I?

I'm not really new here, but I'm currently discovering the community for myself and I'd love on avatar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is an Overtext?

Ah, mouse over... I see...

HOLY CRAP Expensive....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there are others that need a badge more than me. But....Shout out for being a generous gamer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Petricini
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to help! Enjoy your avatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jima Nader
msg tools
I've been looking all over the site for how to get an avatar... How do I buys one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jima Nader
msg tools
bluewafflesauce wrote:
I've been looking all over the site for how to get an avatar... How do I buys one?

do I need paypal or a credit card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jima Nader
msg tools
bluewafflesauce wrote:
bluewafflesauce wrote:

do I need paypal or a credit card?

cuz I dont have anys. modestmodestmodestmodestmodest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have an avatar, but I'm 3 GG short of buying a geekbadge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
bhudson1972 wrote:

Now you're not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
bhudson1972 wrote:

Now you're not.

Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nandy Velez

Puerto Rico
msg tools
mb
This is very cool of you to offer.

I am a long time lurker here on the boards, and am very unfamiliar with the badges, avatars and geek gold in general.

But I love to share a good story, so here goes:

--Warning Wall of text follows ! ----

I work as a paramedic at a Fire station. Sometimes we can go days without a call, so we are allowed to bring our laptops to work and after 5pm we can play games as long as we pay attention to the alarms.

I was going to connect online to play with some friends a D&D game tabletop version but with a program that would allow us to do a 5 way connection like skype. It had a nice die generator and some very basic features.

My group could not meet up that night and the game was cancelled but one of the guys invited me over to a different group playing a similar set up. They were playing tabletop BattleTech.

So I log on, say hello to everyone, and they were the coolest nicest people I had ever met. I think there was a married couple, an older gentlemen, a teenager and her boyfriend and one of their friends just watching.

It took a little bit to get set up, but once the game was going it was very fun. The scenario was half of us where garrisoned in a city trying to protect the cities power grid and the other half where 2 different mercenary factions attacking the grid. ( One team had a lance of light mechs, and the other had infantry and a wing of air support). We were defending with 2 light lances of city garrison mechs.

An hour in, half of every ones team is dead or burning, my last 2 mechs ( big robots) are badly messed up, there’s infantry shooting rockets at the outer wall of the power grid facility, one of my mechs is overheating due to infantry flamer rockets, I am trying to bring down a building on the remaining attackers, and it’s the best part of the fight and….. ALARMS GO OFF.

I was on press to talk with my headset so they only heard the first part of the Alarms go off, they didn’t hear when the speakers shouted, Med 1 report to XX building for medical emergency.

I shouted into the headset I had to go there was an emergency and took off. About 20 minutes in my friend texts me if I’m ok and I responded to the text, “I’m in an ambulance, what’s up?”
Few minutes later I get another text asking “What happened” so I quickly type “Heart attack, why?”. No response

I finished transporting and treating my patient return to the station, resupply and fill out our documentation, it’s been a little over an hour. I jump back into the computer hoping to find out how the game ended and only half the people are there. They seemed surprised to see me and started asking me a dozen questions. Turns out when I shouted I had to leave and there was an emergency, they didn’t know what I did and all thought something happened to me. They called my friend to see if I was ok and he just forwarded what I told them without ever thinking it would have been helpful to mention I was a paramedic on duty.

Between me and my friend we managed to scare this nice group of people into thinking one of their new players had almost died during the game. We had a good laugh about it a few days later.. But I learned an important lesson that day.

Next time mercenary infantry take over a building of civilians, don’t hesitate to bring it down, it’s cheaper to pay off government officials for a cover up story and hide your actions the to lose a full lance of Mechs and be penalized for failing to fulfill your protection contract.
For being a nice group of people, these guys (and gals) where just blood thirsty and brutal.
That nice old guy? Filled an ambulance with explosives and ran it into the leg of one of my mechs responding to a fatal car accident…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope in 2025!!!
Antarctica
msg tools
I'd be happy for 30 GG for an avatar if anyone wants to help me. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.