Popular Tags: [View All]
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the owner of the game and Imperial player should I buy Ally packs for the campaign game?

My problem is I played this when it first came out and was beat so bad for 4 missions that I disliked the game, but now I want to give it another go with another group, but I don't want to be beaten so badly again.

I would like to increase my collection (I have purchased villain packs). But I'm afraid of the same thing happening again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Master Turtler
mbmbmbmbmb
The same thing will likely happen again.

If you really like painting the miniatures, go ahead and get anything you want.

But if you didn't like the gameplay the first time, it's not going to suddenly open up to you a second time. It's a game design with a lot of engineering baked into it, but very few mysteries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to work on not to get beat. Ally packs won't help you with that. On the other hand, they don't affect the situation one way or the other.

Read rules threads, check out PBF campaigns, ask for advice. Let us know which heroes and imperial class deck did you use, which missions you played, how did they go, what did you think you did wrong. Send me geekmail if you don't want to do it in the open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely you're boiled down in combat. Our group suffers from the same discomfort. In this game, more often than not combat is detrimental to the Rebel players. It distracts them from the real goals, and killing does little to stave off the waves of Imperials coming your way. Instead, weight the amount of damage that can be dealt out vs the amount of health remaining on your hero, and then sprint past the bad guys to get to that terminal.

Running more than gunning is often the better gameplan for Rebels. It might not lead to a better game experience (my friends are still 50/50 with this game) but it will lead to more wins for the Rebels.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things:

1. Buying the ally packs gives the Rebel players more choices. It also gives you figures instead of tokens for certain characters. It will only dramatically change how you play if one of the missions from the ally pack comes up as a side mission. (For instance, if they get the Luke mission and decide to take Luke for every mission for the rest of the campaign...)

2. I disagree with anyone who says that if you didn't like it before, you won't like it now. There are a lot of parts to the game, and understanding them can dramatically change how you play and how you enjoy the game.

You'll want to understand why you lost missions. Also, you'll want to understand the heroes you're up against and which class to take.

There's a reason why the manual recommends the most experienced player to be the imperial player. You'll be playing with softer units and need to understand the finer intricacies of the system in order to take every advantage you can get compared to the disadvantages leveled against you.

I make it sound daunting, but really, it just means being able to learn from your mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Merritt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we talking about Campaign only? I'm about to receive this game in a few days (took the plunge, as if Armada and X-Wing weren't enough!), and I have done some research (there are quite a few videos for this) on both Campaign and Skirmish. I will do both and probably prefer Skirmish but if the OP does only Campaign will Skirmish play help change their perspective?

As for Ally Packs it seems to be a good way to go not only for the minis but also for additional command cards. My biggest question for Skirmish is can I use any figure/deployment card for any Skirmish? Like Snowtroopers on a Tatooine mission? I know it is limited via Campaign but if I'm going to collect an army I want the figures I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Deaton
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I find the Ally and Villain packs are much more useful in skirmish than in campaign, but in the end skill and experience will always win. Try practicing in a skirmish and make mental notes of everything, you likely discover why it is your having trouble succeeding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluefalcon251 wrote:
Are we talking about Campaign only? I'm about to receive this game in a few days (took the plunge, as if Armada and X-Wing weren't enough!), and I have done some research (there are quite a few videos for this) on both Campaign and Skirmish. I will do both and probably prefer Skirmish but if the OP does only Campaign will Skirmish play help change their perspective?

Yes, we are talking about campaign only, in this instance. Skirmish is different enough... some things work really well in one, but are less effective in the other. Some skills do carry over from one to the other, for instance, being able to judge range required for effective attacks. Understanding cost effective movement options, and knowing how to position, attack, and reposition when activating groups.

bluefalcon251 wrote:
As for Ally Packs it seems to be a good way to go not only for the minis but also for additional command cards. My biggest question for Skirmish is can I use any figure/deployment card for any Skirmish? Like Snowtroopers on a Tatooine mission? I know it is limited via Campaign but if I'm going to collect an army I want the figures I like.

Yes, you can. In fact, very few of the command cards are unit specific, so you find things like trooper command cards in the Storm Trooper pack that are also worth it if you play with Rebel Troopers... etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Luczkowski
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lose every time I play Twilight Struggle and War of the Ring. But damn if I don't have fun playing them.

I don't think you need the ally packs to get a lot out of the game. If your friends were cool about winning, great. But if not, don't let them hurt your enjoyment.

So, two things:
It sounds like a good idea you're starting over with different people.

In life, you learn a hell of a lot more when you lose than when you win. Learn from your mistakes, don't bend over backwards to help your friends, and play a few battles solo so you get a better sense of what you need to do against who.

Good luck, but HAVE FUN! It really is a great game, and I'm on a win-less streak with this one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Len L wrote:
I lose every time I play Twilight Struggle and War of the Ring. But damn if I don't have fun playing them.

I don't think you need the ally packs to get a lot out of the game. If your friends were cool about winning, great. But if not, don't let them hurt your enjoyment.

So, two things:
It sounds like a good idea you're starting over with different people.

In life, you learn a hell of a lot more when you lose than when you win. Learn from your mistakes, don't bend over backwards to help your friends, and play a few battles solo so you get a better sense of what you need to do against who.

Good luck, but HAVE FUN! It really is a great game, and I'm on a win-less streak with this one too.

your not on your own with war of the ring..one of the best games ever made.and one of the most challenging.but not impossible.played it about 10 times now won twice. both times by the skin of my teeth...brilliant!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nutt
United Kingdom
Linlithgow
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already done so, but Return to Hoth and Twin Shadows.

It's the best of both worlds. New enemy units to bolster your forces in every campaign, plus new gear and Heroes for your friends to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Instead, weight the amount of damage that can be dealt out vs the amount of health remaining on your hero, and then sprint past the bad guys to get to that terminal.

Running more than gunning is often the better gameplan for Rebels. It might not lead to a better game experience (my friends are still 50/50 with this game) but it will lead to more wins for the Rebels.

-shnar

This, this right here, is why we quit the game. Nothing like allowing your self to blasted over and over and over while you slug away at a computer terminal/door, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
shnar wrote:
Instead, weight the amount of damage that can be dealt out vs the amount of health remaining on your hero, and then sprint past the bad guys to get to that terminal.

-shnar

This, this right here, is why we quit the game. Nothing like allowing your self to blasted over and over and over while you slug away at a computer terminal/door, etc.

This is the main reason we tend to play skirmish more. We never feel like we're "gaming" the system, but in campaign, it often times feels like we have to make decisions like this and, well, just feels so much less immersive.

Having said that, some of that has to do with mission design, so some missions play better than others. Feels like mission design in general is getting better, Hoth was better than core, Twin Shadows has great moments, etc.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree completely. That is good news regarding the campaign.

Maybe, just maybe it is worth revisiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
I agree completely. That is good news regarding the campaign.

Maybe, just maybe it is worth revisiting.

May as well give Skirmish a try..? It's good fun, honest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.