Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for recommendations of siege defense/ defense against overwhelming numbers games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
josh werrmann
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Simply put, I am enthralled with the concept of playing games that invoke the concept of a smaller group defending from a fortified position versus a much larger group assaulting that position. In StarCraft for example, I always loved carefully setting up siege tanks and marine bunkers, and waiting for an onslaught of zerg (I know it's a video game, please forgive the reference). For a fantasy reference, think the battle of Helm's deep (LotR), or the siege of Gondor. I am reaching out to the community to get recommendations for boardgames or wargames, OR games that have great SCENARIOS within them that embody this concept. Some games I have on my buy list already:

Stronghold (2nd edition)

Zulus on the Ramparts!

And I am also thinking from a historical standpoint, playing as the soviet forces in the battle of Kursk versus the German "pincer" would be fun, therefore the upcoming second edition of this:

Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943

I have also heard great things about
The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition)

but the theme of Hebrews vs Romans seems less appealing than say WW2, although not a deal killer if the siege is really good, the price and out of print status may be a deal killer though. I have been considering combat commander: Europe recently, but know very little about the game or if it contains any such scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dien Bien Phu: The Final Gamble

Circle of Fire: The Siege of Cholm, 1942

Storm over Arnhem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B-Sieged: Sons of the Abyss

Dragon Rage

The Convicted and the new version The Exiled: Siege
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar: Epic Battle of Alesia is a good one and more affordable than The Siege of Jerusalem (Third Edition). I would pass on The Siege of Alesia unless you want to learn
(or already know) the GBOH system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Project: ELITE gives you 'the swarm is upon us' starship troopers feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the S&T game, The Siege of Constantinople

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Loakes
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This gives you both - a siege defense against overwhelming odds (60,000 Turks v 500 Knights of St John: Knights of Justice: The Siege of Malta, 1565.

I'm just awaiting the delivery of a copy.

Or there's this on the same topic available for pre-order from Legion Wargames by a designer I know well (me devil): Waning Crescent, Shattered Cross.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Related to Zulus is Victoria Cross and Victoria Cross II. The original game is a block game with Rorkes Drift. The 2nd edition uses counters instead of blocks, and includes the battle of Isandlwana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Granger
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know about overwhelming numbers, but here is a 4-pack of siege games:

The Art of Siege

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Print 'n' Play game coming out about the unique battle around Castle Itter. As yet I think it is unnamed. Here is an image of the map.

This is a WW2 fight where German soldiers fought alongside American soldiers against the SS attackers. It is a solo game and looks pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Alamo.

A nice little historical block game. Plays in a few hours.

But I miss Davy Crockett as a single visible counter running on the walls. Not an anonymous block hiding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep Up The Fire! is a State of Siege game about the siege of the Foreign Legations in Peking during the Boxer Rebellion. It's a fascinating hisotrical period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Outpost Gamma is a SF take on this situation you might like.
It's an older game but a free PnP version is available.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played the heck out of 1st edition Stronghold, I highlyrecommend the new edition. The game is entirely built around the theme you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On a lighter note, The Awful Green Things From Outer Space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a traditional siege, exactly, but RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 is good, primarily as solo RAF player.

+1 for Caesar: Epic Battle of Alesia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Siege for Cry Havoc.

Medieval skirmish, available for download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fowler
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar at Alesia. has it all,
Tactical doughnut, 260,000 vs 60,000.
Tech advantage for defenders (parapets, outer works, archers, forts, leaders)
Hidden off board movement for attacker.
Top notch components for it's day, mounted map board.
One victory condition, Get the Gaul leader off the board for a Gaul win, or keep him on the map (or eliminate the piece) for a Roman win.
Can set up and play the 1st assault period and at a later setting you can start the 2nd assault period when you can meet again as all surviving units are set up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:

This. The situation is really interesting since the Romans have enemies both inside and outside the siege that they have to deal with. It is not difficult but it will take a while to play to completion. It is the best siege game that I have played.

There is an old siege game in an issue of The Wargamer magazine called Knights of Justice: The Siege of Malta, 1565 which I quite enjoyed. It is a bit more involved since it is not only a siege but an amphibious landing on the island but I thought it was well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jvsquare wrote:
On a fantasy note The Battle of Helm's Deep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For WWII Eastern Front sieges, there's White Death (tough to find) and Circle of Fire: The Siege of Cholm, 1942.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Related to Zulus is Victoria Cross and Victoria Cross II. The original game is a block game with Rorkes Drift. The 2nd edition uses counters instead of blocks, and includes the battle of Isandlwana.

+1thumbsup & +1thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuukka
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Question of Surrender
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Pensacola
Best one I've played in the past half decade. Unbelievable odds against the British penned up in the puny fortifications against the massive French-Spanish amphibious expeditionary force. Yet, once the system is cracked, it's a VERY BALANCED game and usually comes right down to the wire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
There is a Print 'n' Play game coming out about the unique battle around Castle Itter. As yet I think it is unnamed. Here is an image of the map.

This is a WW2 fight where German soldiers fought alongside American soldiers against the SS attackers. It is a solo game and looks pretty awesome.

Thanks for the mention. I'll be tracking the development of the game in this thread. It's very much a work in progress, so I'd love to get some feedback on what I've posted so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.