New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy!

Does anybody know, strictly rough-estimate speaking, if the offset printing cost for producing square cards is substantially more (let's say 1.5X or greater) than for "standard" sized cards?

I'm somewhat flexible on the card's size - could be anywhere from 2 to 3 inches square. And I'm guessing I'd be in the low quantity range... more than POD printing would frugally allow, but likely less than 2000 units.

Just trying to figure out if "square" cards are common enough at this point to avoid the customized set-up charges normally associated with non-standard components.

Also - similarly for packaging. Are there stock tuckboxes out there for square cards?

The whole concept at this stage is low COG, low MSRP. I can probably make due with standard sized cards, but if I can upgrade to square cards without radically jacking up the MSRP, I'd greatly prefer it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on if they already have the die to cut the cards into squares. If they're already setup for any shape, then you don't have to pay for them to do the setup (get new die).

The cost is affected by 1) if they're already set up for that shape/size, and 2) how many cards you can get per sheet (based on size of each card).

Several companies already have 1.25" or 2.5" square cards, so there's not really a difference in cost compared to standard playing cards, other than you can get more or fewer cards per sheet (same issue with different sizes of non-square, rectangular cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick check of my go-to small-order printers ranges from 3.5-inch square cards at almost exactly 50% more than poker cards (presuming you're using the entire sheet, of course), with another having 2.75-inch square cards at only 4% higher cost than poker.

Sounds like it's worth investigating further for your purposes. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.