Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dexter Chengadu
Netherlands
Hilversum
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mb
Star Wars: Imperial AssaultI was really excited when I first saw Loku, now I've been playing him and it seems compared to Mak he does way less damage. Does anybody else feel that way?

I do understand his defense is better, his range feels better and overall he can support his team a lot more then Mak does. Should I view him as a hybrid support/damage, just like Saska?

Maybe I've been building and viewing him wrong. I'm wondering about you guys's opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Bingosn wrote:
Star Wars: Imperial AssaultI was really excited when I first saw Loku, now I've been playing him and it seems compared to Mak he does way less damage. Does anybody else feel that way?

I do understand his defense is better, his range feels better and overall he can support his team a lot more then Mak does. Should I view him as a hybrid support/damage, just like Saska?

Maybe I've been building and viewing him wrong. I'm wondering about you guys's opinion.

I haven't done the math on it but if you count damage added from his recon tokens by other players, he might seem a bit more powerful.

Plus his ability to pick up crates as a free action is pretty damn cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't gotten Return to Hoth yet and have up to now been unable to find a listing of Loku's xp upgrades and starting weapon, does anyone have a link to those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Rebel Character Cards Reference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
a1bert wrote:

Thank you.

6 Min Range while healthy, that's insane!

Not too surprising that he would do a little less damage then Mak with range like that and a lot of supporting stuff as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made another post about this but range in campaign is largely useless. I almost never shot from more than 4 spaces away because every encounter is rushed to reach an objective so you can't be standing a far OR it's a close encounter mission with lots of walls or figures blocking you anyways.

We designated Mak to be our DPS in our team and my Loku was pseudo support for a long time and just as backup DPS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush is much better against enemies that only take one shot to kill. Recon breaks even or pulls slightly ahead against enemies that require two attacks, and is a huge gain against enemies that take three or more attacks. Recon also has the advantage in that it doesn't require Loku to be doing the attacking; sometimes you need to be using Loku's actions for something else (moving and Interacting, or clearing out other "trash" enemies), but you can still line up the bonus for another rebel to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-o Jankowski
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
About half way through the campaign and I will admit Loku, much like Verena are not easy characters to pick up on. They require very careful use of positioning and that takes time to get good at. Our Loku player is doing an okay job with it. Mostly we have enjoyed Loku as a hybrid support, his Recon Tokens coupled with Spectrum Scanner have been extremely helpful to the group. I personally, as Verena love using CQ on a figure with a recon token on it. So yes, Loku is not a long ranged damage dealer, we already have one, its Mak. I respect how different they are making the Rebels and I hope it continues. Loku really is like an attacking Gideon. He can still deal damage from afar, allow others to apply bonus damage, and free actions. All great stuff!

As far as builds go, none of these are fully tested yet, but I would say you have two options, focus on the distribution of Recon tokens through combining skills or focus more on attack/group help.

Recon build: Combat Spotter (easier to place recon tokens), Spectrum Scanner (free recon tokens), Overwatch (this skill is difficult to use, it requires prediction, but oh man, you use this correctly and you can very easily interrupt Imperial plans for figures out of range during your turn. Also the extra surge combos well with Study of enemies). Study of enemies is great when deployment groups initially come in. Lastly, Coordinated Attack. Lot of people online complained about the strain drain on this skill, but I honestly think this skill is amazing! Any figure with a Recon Token can get an extra die. All those missions where you need to kill a "boss" with increased health = to the threat level. Well, that got easier. Fun fact, and I doubt this would happen, but it could. If Diala has Force Pike, is focused (likely) and has Dancing Weapon. And then if MDH is within 2 spaces and has Adrenal Vapor, you could use Coordinated attack to make a 7 die attack on a target!! Boom sauce!! I'd prolly quite as imperial player if that happened...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexter Chengadu
Netherlands
Hilversum
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mb
jomayo112 wrote:
I respect how different they are making the Rebels and I hope it continues. Loku really is like an attacking Gideon. He can still deal damage from afar, allow others to apply bonus damage, and free actions. All great stuff!

Yeah I love them doing that. I was just wandering on how to use him properly, even just him helping with defense is pretty awesome with the plus one surge block for guys with recon tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dexter Chengadu
Netherlands
Hilversum
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mb
Fatesadvent wrote:
I made another post about this but range in campaign is largely useless. I almost never shot from more than 4 spaces away because every encounter is rushed to reach an objective so you can't be standing a far OR it's a close encounter mission with lots of walls or figures blocking you anyways.

We designated Mak to be our DPS in our team and my Loku was pseudo support for a long time and just as backup DPS.

Hmm I'll be looking into that. I kinda felt like that would be a good combo with Mak having the free interact and Loku having the free crate action. Sounded like a good combo. But then I'm rest assured that I'm viewing him correctly .

I'm fairly new to this forum thing, I have a hard time putting multiple quotes on here so sorry..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bingosn wrote:
I'm fairly new to this forum thing, I have a hard time putting multiple quotes on here so sorry..

No sweat... It's easier for me on a computer, but I will use the "QuickQuote" option and copy/paste each quote into a "QuickQuote" or "QuickReply" as they're all on the same page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Fatesadvent wrote:

My experience is that players don't shoot from far because they know it's a waste. If you could shoot from far, (Loku, DXR, or the range barrel) then you do it more often an you save strain and movement points since you don't need to go out of your way.

Range helps action economy since you don't waste actions getting into position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see Loku as flavorfully being more of a spotter with Mak being the dedicated sniper. They work really well together, as a spotter/sniper team should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noa

Oregon
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm almost done with a RTH campaign using Loku and I can says hes actually one of the better damage dealing heroes IF you deploy him correctly and plan ahead so you end his activation on a space where he will be able to put a recon token on his target before he shoots. This is key to using loku well and maximizing his damage, similar to how you have to place Jyn so she can use quick draw without getting blocked. With a recon token, Loku actually has the second best starting attack in the game only to Dialas precise strike in terms of dealing damage to a single target through a black die.

Alot of people saying that range doesn't matter in campaign, well in RTH it matters a lot more, as Imperials generally start the mission deployed farther away and across difficult or impassable terrain but within LOS of at least one rebel, so Lokus range allows him to get two attacks without having to spend an action or strain having to move closer. It's definitely a big asset on the Hoth maps. In the first mission, I deployed Loku in the top left corner peeking out at the whole battlefield, and he didn't have to move for the first 3 turns, he just sat there putting recon tokens on hostiles and double attacked each turn while the other heroes operated the terminals and spread out to the objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.