7 Posts

Tides of Infamy» Forums » General

Subject: Does this turn into a ship battle game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerad Clark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After all the ports are discovered and tokens are turned in for Marks of Infamy - and no one has won the game yet, I assume we just chase each other around and battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Maurer
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You also keep exploring. When you get down to seven unexplored tiles, you put a mark of infamy on each unexplored tile. the first to explore each one gets the mark of infamy on that tile

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6-7 Islands Tiles = 15-16 worth of Marks of Infamy
3-4 Port Tiles = 9-12 Marks (18-24 after all tiles have been explored as they double)
Last 7 tiles explored = 7 Marks
Random Treasure Chest Tokens via Pirate Luck Events are worth 1 Mark (also double after all the tiles have been explored)
Each Pirate Luck Card received (if you have a previously received one still in your hand, or two cards in a 2-player game) yields a Mark

The beauty of the game is the modularity. The more Island and Port Tiles the less battling required, but it is very difficult to win without engaging in combat. More often than not it will come down to the last one or two ship loads getting to the bay.

Another option (although not in the rules) is to declare your house rules to be that the game ends when the last Token is brought back in or the last tile explored (which ever occurs last).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean
France
Aveyron
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played many games and this never happen.

If it happened to you, maybe you didn't had a fight. Or maybe you didn't select enough island/port tiles for the setup of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerad Clark
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, me and the boys finished the game this morning. turns out I didn't have the best tile choices.

Only had (1) Port and (4) islands, in the 5x5 grid we used.

also, I think the boys are better at this game then me, I came in last place. Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McManus
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anarkojean wrote:
I played many games and this never happen.

If it happened to you, maybe you didn't had a fight. Or maybe you didn't select enough island/port tiles for the setup of the game.

Sadly, this happened to us on our first play-through today. There was lots of combat throughout but not enough island/port tiles produced with tokens on them, so in the end nobody could progress much because of continuous battles for minimal loot (especially next to the pirate bays). After countless hours of being stuck in a loop we simply had to give up on the game completely, which was discouraging.

There are simply too many 'empty space' tiles to be able to draw them randomly at the start. In the future I'm going to have to cherry-pick and cull as many of the emptier tiles as possible beforehand - I know the planned expansion intends to utilize these to fuller effect, but as it stands right now I feel there's just too many.

I haven't given up on the game, however, and imagine it will improve with each subsequent play. It's just going to be difficult to convince others to let me bring this to the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you have the required tiles per the rulebook? Namely 3 port tiles and 6 island tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.