SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was time for me to go and pack my cases for my trip to Essen, but still enough time for a quick game of Big Charles (not an official translation). Well, supposed to be quick, but we ground it out to the bitter end. I got off to a quick start and soon had 7 of 8 castles down. But Richard got it figured and started taking majorities. And it got weird. All we did was build the majorities in the strongholds, hardly playing any pieces to the board.

Ian built up some regions, and I tried to be very clever and control the turn order. It worked for 2 rounds but fell apart and the game only ended when Ian misplaced Charlemagne, giving me the win.

Thinking back, I'm not sure why it went so strange. Maybe it was having 3 players, maybe it was strange dice rolls controlling our options. If you have the majority in blue, and I pick up loads of blue cubes, I'm not going to put them into regions, I'll stick them in my castle.

The game went on so, we started running out of colours. Odd and not satisfactory, something of a stalemate. Maybe this is really only a 2 player game? Dividing 5 colours between 3 players makes it too thin? Perhaps adding another colour with 3 might work?

Enough of the questions, I'm away to Essen! Did I mention that.....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
EYE of NiGHT (#20964),

I recall reading somewhere that when you start running out of a particular coloured cube, everyone puts an equal number from their court back into main supply.

I have only played twice with 3 players and observed a game with four so my experience is quite limited but I haven't seen it get close to running out, especially using the above method. Still, I (we) play with the tactic of more cubes going to the court than the land which may not be the best strategy but does seem to be to me, certainly initially.

While I am here. The four player game I acted as observer wasn't much fun as one pair manged their middle/later game turn order such that the other pair never had a chance. It was that groups first game but this surprised me and caused concern as I really like this game. Maybe it works best with only 2 or 3?

Hope that helps at any rate.
Otaku

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
otaku (#21140),
OK I just realised "thin" colours doesn't mean running out of colours - whoops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.