Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game felt brutal and we ended up with two 11s , a 16 and two 17s.

What scores would be typical after a few plays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend to get 8-10. We both got 5 once using all powers and tied. Creators said they never got below that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3-player last night. Managed two 12s and one 11.

Had a coupla rules questions come up. It seems like you're allowed to ignore the wild die? Or, MUST you find someplece to write it's value? That is, A. Can you just ignore it?(effectively saying, my Blue area is filled, I'm making the Wild die blue and not using it)

B. If you have a space, you MUST write the Wild's value if legal. If not, take the X.

Also, it seems you can Dupe the wild die. Can the Duped Wild also be any color? That is, the 'natural' and the duped-die can be used in different OR the same color zones. No need to EVER use a color change for Wild?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Had a coupla rules questions come up. It seems like you're allowed to ignore the wild die? Or, MUST you find someplece to write it's value? That is, A. Can you just ignore it?(effectively saying, my Blue area is filled, I'm making the Wild die blue and not using it)

B. If you have a space, you MUST write the Wild's value if legal. If not, take the X.

Also, it seems you can Dupe the wild die. Can the Duped Wild also be any color? That is, the 'natural' and the duped-die can be used in different OR the same color zones. No need to EVER use a color change for Wild?

According to the rules, I think you have to place the wild die if you can (that's the main rule in operation). If you can't place the wild die, though, you don't take a penalty the way you would if you can't place a colored die. Here's what the rules say:

Quote:
You MUST write a number in an available blank state if it doesn't break the Neighboring State rule. If you cannot write a number without breaking the rule, then you must mark an X in any blank state in the region that matches the dice color. If the matching region is completely filled, you do nothing. (This also applies if the die is wild.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Jennette (Metal Meeple)
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Dice Tower Contributor - Keep on rockin' and rollin' dice!
badge
Check out my band at www.morningaugment.com and podcast www.meeplecore.com
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

When a wild comes up you choose the color for yourself. If all your blue areas are marked and you don't have another color you want to make it, you just say its blue and then you don't have to write it down. You are not forced into making it a color that you have an opening for.

yes to the dupe of a wild. If you dupe a wild you basically get two wilds and you pick the two colors that you want them to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reinfire13 wrote:
When a wild comes up you choose the color for yourself. If all your blue areas are marked and you don't have another color you want to make it, you just say its blue and then you don't have to write it down. You are not forced into making it a color that you have an opening for.

yes to the dupe of a wild. If you dupe a wild you basically get two wilds and you pick the two colors that you want them to be.

Is this accurate? The rule for the wild die doesn't say you choose its color; rather, the rules say, "Choose one empty state in any region and write down the die number in that state." In addition to this, the rules say, "You MUST write a number in an available blank state if it doesn't break the Neighboring State rule." To me, this is pretty clear that you have to place the wild die if you can; you just aren't penalized if you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Goatcabin wrote:
reinfire13 wrote:

Is this accurate? The rule for the wild die doesn't say you choose its color; rather, the rules say, "Choose one empty state in any region and write down the die number in that state." In addition to this, the rules say, "You MUST write a number in an available blank state if it doesn't break the Neighboring State rule." To me, this is pretty clear that you have to place the wild die if you can; you just aren't penalized if you can't.

I agree with Jonathan Schindler. If you CAN place a wild you MUST do so. But if you can't place a wild anywhere there is no penalty (don't have to place an X in a state for the wild die).

Another way to think about it: ANY state is "available" to a wild die, so if there is a legal play you MUST make it.

Edits: fixed spelling of Jonathan's name and add clarification about not having to place an X for a wild die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Waters
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I agree with Jonathan Schindler. If you CAN place a wild you MUST do so. But if you can't place a wild anywhere there is no penalty (don't have to place an X in a state for the wild die).

Another way to think about it: ANY state is "available" to a wild die, so if there is a legal play you MUST make it.

This is actually contrary to the author's answer according to two people who contacted him as quoted in the following thread about Rolling Japan https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1259855/purple-dice. He said you do not have use a wild die as any particular color even if you could write the number in the region of that color and that you can always choose to use it as a color that you have already filled all of and thus not write anything down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
warmonger wrote:
Quote:

This is actually contrary to the author's answer according to two people who contacted him as quoted in the following thread about Rolling Japan https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1259855/purple-dice. He said you do not have use a wild die as any particular color even if you could write the number in the region of that color and that you can always choose to use it as a color that you have already filled all of and thus not write anything down.

Thank you for this clarification! A bit more forgiving, which is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.