Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Another cute game / for the wife request rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A long, long time ago......

My wife has never been a hardcore gamer but she's not game adverse either. When we first got into games we collected pretty much anything that caught our fancy. However, since then we have had two kids, one who is 5 months old and the other who is 2 years and 5 months old. We find ourselves in need of our collection changing into something a little more amicable for our situation.

What does that mean? No more heavy games that take 3-4 hours to play. We need games that will finish in 60 minutes or less (30 mins would be great) but that still leave us with that feeling that we have finished a worthy game.

So, what does she like?

The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac
Agents of SMERSH
Alhambra
Animal Upon Animal
Arcana
Archaeology: The Card Game
Arkham Horror
Attika
The Awful Green Things From Outer Space
Back to the Future: The Card Game
Balloon Cup
BattleLore
Blue Moon City
Boxers or Briefs?
California
Carcassonne
Castle Panic
Château Roquefort
Citadels
Descent: Journeys in the Dark
Dixit
Dominion
Dragon heart
Dungeon Lords
Dungeon Petz
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Elder Sign
Fluxx
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
Fresco
The Hanging Gardens
Hive
Illuminati: Deluxe Edition
Incan Gold
Isla Dorada
Jungle Speed
Kill Doctor Lucky
King's Forge
Kingsburg
Legacy: Gears of Time
Legends of Andor
Libertalia
Lords of Waterdeep
Lost Cities
Mansions of Madness
Mice and Mystics
Morels
Mr. Jack
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper
Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde
No Thanks!
Nuts!
Onirim
Pandemic
Pirate Fluxx
Pirate's Cove
Poo: The Card Game
Power Grid
Quarriors!
Qwirkle
Roma
Say Anything
Shadows over Camelot
Shear Panic
Small World
Smash Up
Splendor
Stone Age
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Rampage
Thebes
Ticket to Ride
A Touch of Evil
Witch's Brew
Yggdrasil

Ok, yeah, but what are her favorites?
Carcassonne
Dixit
Isla Dorada
Mansions of Madness
Rampage
A Touch of Evil
Witch's Brew


Games that get played a lot to give you an idea of time requirements:
Dragon heart
Splendor
Mr Jack
Balloon Cup


So what recommendations can you give for something that would be a good two player game?

Games we are thinking about that are on our wishlist:
Castles of Burgundy
Castles of Mad King Von Ludwig
Epic Resort
Fairy Tale
Glass Road
Grimoire
Mission Red Planet
Shakespeare
Jaipur


So trying to see what else is out there that may not be on our radar.

Edit
So what doesn't she like?

She hates anything with a space or civilization theme so things like:
Galaxy Trucker
Race for the Galaxy
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Space Alert
Cosmic Encounter
Agricola
Blood Bowl: Team Manager

Games that have gotten an OK response:
Ascension
Belfort
Escape
Guildhall
Pathfinder the Adventure Card Game
Prophecy
Puerto Rico
RoboRally
Rune bound
Runewars
San Juan
Seasons
Thunderstone Advance



Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork. The answer is always Patchwork.
You can't go wrong with Jaipur, either.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get Jaipur, or maybe Traders of Osaka, which is 2 to 4 player and similar to Jaipur.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Drummond
Canada
Chatham-Kent
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I both love Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Carcassonne was our previous fave, but CoMKL has taken its spot (though we do play both).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hallahan
United States
Ft. Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Santa smells like cookies...you smell like beef and regret.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Castles of Burgundy, Patchwork, Jaipur and Castles of Mad King Ludwig (although both COB and CoMKL are a bit long, not too long, but a touch long).

Castles of Burgundy is my absolute favorite game ever. I also like more "feminine" games though too, so have her look into the following:

Garden Dice
Marrying Mr. Darcy
Jane Austen's Matchmaker
Takenoko
Parfum (this one is awesome)
Last will (worker placement ala Lords of Waterdeep, but your goal is to spend all your money and go bankrupt!!)
Rokoko
Tokaido
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+10 Patchwork
+1 Jaipur
+10 Castles of Burgundy
+8 Castles of Mad King

I just noticed you have Morels. Similar to Jaipur. IMO Jaipur has less choices to make which might be a + for you guys, I'm not sure.

I didn't see Biblios on your list. Awesome game with all player counts, including 2-player. +10 for Biblios!

Arboretum might be an option.

Carcassonne: The Castle(2-player only) or Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers are great games.

Red7 is a neat little game that doesn't take a long time but you feel satisfied at the end, win or lose.

Istanbul feels like a heavier weight game but plays super fast.

That's what I've got for you!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie L
msg tools
Avatar
Skippy668 wrote:
Patchwork. The answer is always Patchwork.


This.

Also, my husband and I enjoy Castles of Burgundy and Battleline.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to have to checkout Patchwork.

I really think she would like Castles of Mad King Ludwig because she likes tile placement AND she likes California (which I've hard CoMKL compared to).

Everyone loves Castles of Burgundy, is this a more feminine game as mentioned previously? It looks awfully bland / euro for her tastes, but haven't seen a bad review yet.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Patchwork, Takenoko and Jaipur are all winners. Particularly the last two - Patchwork is great, but so many people constantly talk about it that I found it a little underwhelming when I got around to playing it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Conundrum wrote:
Yep. Patchwork, Takenoko and Jaipur are all winners. Particularly the last two - Patchwork is great, but so many people constantly talk about it that I found it a little underwhelming when I got around to playing it.


+1
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add huge +1's to Jaipur and The Castles of Burgundy based on personal experience with my wife and a good match with your guys' tastes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina
Canada
Fort Saskatchewan
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko I think will certainly work. I also think when your little guys get older the theme and simplicity makes it a great game to teach kids. If your looking to have them join in.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig Is probably going to fall close to 60 mins with set up but if your wife like tiles placement I highly recommend it.

Evolution because who doesn't want to build the master race of dinosaurs? When my husband and I play it falls between 30-45 mins, and its easy enough to put down and come back if interrupted.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure of the feminine description for Castles of Burgundy. I personally love the game and so does my GF and Daughter but I'm sure neither of them would say it was because the game is feminine. We like it because we like the way Feld designs games. Different paths to victory, no one gets screwed over entirely, always something available to do, solid mechanics, replayability, end game scoring.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Broom Service if you like Witch's brew
Broom Service: The Card Game if you like Broom service
Glass Road if you like Witch's brew and Farming
devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a great two-player game that plays in 30 minutes. I think it's really cute, trying to fit all the animeeples in your farm.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a great two-player game that plays in 30 minutes. I think it's really cute, trying to fit all the animeeples in your farm.

But you need at least one of the expansions to add variety.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list I have played, liked and would also recommend these:
Castles of Burgundy
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Glass Road
Jaipur

For 30-60 minutes 2P I'll +1 Takenoko and Rococo.
And I'll toss in some recommendations of my own:
Cacao, Sapiens, La Isla and Tobago would be my top picks. I'd also be happy to play Zooloretto, Korrigans, Expedition Sumatra and Coney Island.

For games <30 minutes I'll +1 Patchwork and add in Best Treehouse Ever, Sugar Gliders and Card City.

Really really quick card & dice games I'd recommend are Qwixx, Qwinto, Coloretto Amazonas and Monopoly Deal Card Game.

Other suggestions I'd have go closer to the 90 minute mark I think and/or don't work (well) with 2 players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
Anny48 wrote:
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a great two-player game that plays in 30 minutes. I think it's really cute, trying to fit all the animeeples in your farm.

But you need at least one of the expansions to add variety.


True
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bailey
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on similar criteria these are ones that are a big hit with my wife that I also enjoy playing.

Karuba = tile placement (Her newest favorite game)
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King = tile placement
Finca

I will agree with the others here that say Jaipur and Patchwork, both of those are ones we enjoy too. We like Castles of Mad King Ludwig but I don't think we ever get it played in 30-60 min. At first I stayed away from Burgundy because of the ugly components and the lame theme scared me off, but after playing it's one of our favorites. She likes Takenoko, but after two plays I developed a hatred for it.

Have fun, sounds like you have a lot of options to explore.

(JonGetsGames (happy hexagon) has done great video reviews of Isle of Skye and Finca, and Zee Garcia (zunyer) did one on Karuba if you want to get a feel for what they're like)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Good Lord, man! Go get Sushi Go!, King of Tokyo and Takenoko immediately! None of them are that expensive, they all range from 1 hour downwards in length, and they are all as fun as a bag of monkeys!

I would never recommend a game that hasn't been a major success for my group, and all 3 of these jumped straight into my always recommend list immediately after the first game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hallahan
United States
Ft. Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Santa smells like cookies...you smell like beef and regret.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
Good Lord, man! Go get Sushi Go!, King of Tokyo and Takenoko immediately! None of them are that expensive, they all range from 1 hour downwards in length, and they are all as fun as a bag of monkeys!

I would never recommend a game that hasn't been a major success for my group, and all 3 of these jumped straight into my always recommend list immediately after the first game!



And I would recommend they find someone who owns Sushi Go! and King of Tokyo BEFORE they buy them. Not everyone likes these games. Noone in my family likes them, and only one person in our game group of 17 enjoys either of these games. Takenoko on the other hand, my family and game group do enjoy. Unfortunately with recommendations, they are all very subjective and I try to find all games and play them first before I buy any, to be sure I'm only spending money on games I want.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
emanhall wrote:
DavidSL wrote:
Good Lord, man! Go get Sushi Go!, King of Tokyo and Takenoko immediately! None of them are that expensive, they all range from 1 hour downwards in length, and they are all as fun as a bag of monkeys!

I would never recommend a game that hasn't been a major success for my group, and all 3 of these jumped straight into my always recommend list immediately after the first game!



And I would recommend they find someone who owns Sushi Go! and King of Tokyo BEFORE they buy them. Not everyone likes these games. Noone in my family likes them, and only one person in our game group of 17 enjoys either of these games. Takenoko on the other hand, my family and game group do enjoy. Unfortunately with recommendations, they are all very subjective and I try to find all games and play them first before I buy any, to be sure I'm only spending money on games I want.


And I would, again, recommend they go and get them. Like you say, these opinions are all subjective, and simply getting to try before you buy isn't always possible. For a thread that talks about buying a game for his wife who likes 'cute' games, I think my recommendations would go down well.

I really don't see why you needed to jump on this just because you couldn't find the fun in these games. Everyone I've played these games with has loved them, and the non-gamers I've introduced them to have all said, 'We need to get a copy of this!' about each of them. Like I said before, I wouldn't have recommended them if I didn't have 100% faith that they would be appropriate.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hallahan
United States
Ft. Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Santa smells like cookies...you smell like beef and regret.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:
emanhall wrote:
DavidSL wrote:
Good Lord, man! Go get Sushi Go!, King of Tokyo and Takenoko immediately! None of them are that expensive, they all range from 1 hour downwards in length, and they are all as fun as a bag of monkeys!

I would never recommend a game that hasn't been a major success for my group, and all 3 of these jumped straight into my always recommend list immediately after the first game!



And I would recommend they find someone who owns Sushi Go! and King of Tokyo BEFORE they buy them. Not everyone likes these games. Noone in my family likes them, and only one person in our game group of 17 enjoys either of these games. Takenoko on the other hand, my family and game group do enjoy. Unfortunately with recommendations, they are all very subjective and I try to find all games and play them first before I buy any, to be sure I'm only spending money on games I want.


And I would, again, recommend they go and get them. Like you say, these opinions are all subjective, and simply getting to try before you buy isn't always possible. For a thread that talks about buying a game for his wife who likes 'cute' games, I think my recommendations would go down well.

I really don't see why you needed to jump on this just because you couldn't find the fun in these games. Everyone I've played these games with has loved them, and the non-gamers I've introduced them to have all said, 'We need to get a copy of this!' about each of them. Like I said before, I wouldn't have recommended them if I didn't have 100% faith that they would be appropriate.


I didn't "jump" on it. I was simply recommending they try them before they buy them. $40 is just enough that I would have been upset had I purchased these games first before trying them and then not enjoyed them at all. Not every game out there is for every player. While looking over his post, a lot of the games his wife enjoys are games that my family and game group enjoy. So just going off of what they said they already like, I don't believe they will enjoy those two games as much as some others. But I also recommend, if possible, that everyone try a game before they buy it. This is not an inexpensive hobby, you really have to consider where your money is going to go before just throwing it out there.

All that being said, if my post offends you so much (you know, me having and stating my opinion and all), let me know and I'll remove it. Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. Just offering my own opinion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape: The Curse of the Temple only need 10 minutes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't read anything about Isla Dorada or Dragonheart, so I just did. It says Battle Line is a slightly more involved game similar to Dragonheart. It's the game I was first going to recommend - cards, about 15 minutes.

And I read that Isla Dorada is for 3 - 6 players. How does it play with just two?

I like both The Castles of Burgundy and Glass Road a lot. With two players they each take around 45 minutes. Be careful when figuring out the rules for Glass Road. We played it wrong at first, and it took quite a long time to play. With the correct rules - check out recent Rules fora - it's less than an hour and much more fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.