Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
An announcement! Sometime this year we’re going to release a new Ogre set in the Ogre Designer’s Edition scale. But this “Ogre 6th Edition” will include only the Ogre map (exactly the same as the one in the ODE), the Ogre rules, and a generous helping of counters to play them.

This is a “soft” announcement. The real announcement will include little details like the actual release date, the full contents, and the price. We are trying for “summer or fall” and $49.95, but print buying isn’t done yet so nothing is set in stone.

Full text on SJG forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have no doubt that we shortly hear from the people who think this is a terrible idea, but I'm very excited. This is a portable Ogre. This is an Ogre that can stay in print. This will get new people involved. Some of the new people will want to get their hands on DE, driving up that price. There are actually quite a few scenarios you can play with this set if you pick up Ogre: Scenario Book 1 and The Ogre Book (Second Edition), so it's not a bad value for a $68 wargame (I'm adding in the cost of the two PDFs).

Plus, bottom line, the Smash the CP! scenario does not get old. It doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a terribly great idea (see what I did there?). I would really love for one of the locals to buy my ODE, while I pare down to this smaller edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a future relaunch of GEV in a similar "pared" down package if the OGRE re-release is successful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree it's an awesome idea, people that didn't want or need 'the Beast' can still play Ogre at a larger scale-- and for me, at least, the larger scale provides a much better play experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
Maybe a future relaunch of GEV in a similar "pared" down package if the OGRE re-release is successful?

This would need to sell exceptionally well for that to be a reality, I think. Not that it couldn't, but it needs to be both profitable and sustainable. The two in combination can be a tough nut to crack.

Pocket Ogre sold very well, and there's no word on a Pocket GEV yet…and these are much less expensive to produce! (To be clear, there is no word that they WON'T do a Pocket GEV, either. It's just a blank for now…)

But yes, this is a very good thing!

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I donated my KS box to a buddy who runs a school gaming club where he teaches. I was moving to a much smaller house and it was going to go into storage.

This version sounds like it would be a great replacement for me. It will take up a lot less space and still allow me to play the basic scenarios.

I'm excited about this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would have preferred something along the lines of G.E.V., but I suppose this opens the door for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
msg tools
mb
...we get new colored OGREs and a new custom Die. I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spy, with my little eye, something that begins with "O"...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpA3qYKXEAAc0ZQ.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the new one. ODE is basically twice the size on every axis. Very similar art direction though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer1701d wrote:

Question ... if I already own the ODE will this new Ogre 6th Edition Box give me anything I don't already have?

Or is the Ogre 6th Edition Box a chance for players to get a subset of the ODE Kickstarter version?

Thanks.

It's a subset (i.e., "just" the Orange map and "basic" rules). If you have ODE, you don't need this (unless you want something that will fit in your car).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Combine units (the Ogres and GEV platoon) are in a very nice burgundy color we haven't seen before. And the PE units have light blue highlights instead of the yellow highlights of the PE armor from ODE, but the difference is very subtle. The included die is a new color too.

So yeah, unless you want/need a more portable set, or as gifts for your kids or other gamers you've gotten into Ogre, ODE owners don't really need this set unless they're patholoigcal completists.

[One possibility though: if you have ODE but never bought any other countersheets or maps, this is a good way to get a second orange map for the Operation K scenario, and, more importantly, gives you an easy way to pick a significant number of extra PE heavy tanks, with which ODE was woefully undersupplied.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.