Michael Mifsud
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought this maybe of interest to other D&D fans out there who also play boardgames. I used this boardgame along with others to prepare my kids for D&D by building a love of fantasy gaming (along with books they read (and I read to them) along the way, I found it very effective and I have a 12 year old, 10 year old, 7 and 5 year old. Eldest two play D&D and have gone through this cycle. 7 year old is in the middle and five has just started.

Basically I did the following:

1) Fantasy Forest when they are around five. No need to be able to read to play this game just count. Kids pickup the monster names quickly enough by the pictures.

2) Dungeon! Reading helps but not strictly required. Being able to add is required though.

3) Once the kids can do some basic math and can read well enough the next jump is to one of the D&D boardgames like Wrath of Ashardalon. I found Wrath and Drizzt the best to use. Ravenloft, because of the undead themes, is a bit scary for younger kids.

4) Full blown Dungeons and Dragons at around age 8~10 depending on aptitude.

Just so I don't sound like some kind of crazy person this happened organically with my eldest two kids. I just noticed the pattern in retrospect as my youngest just started playing Fantasy Forest today and she loves it.

YMMV, but hope that helps. Don't underestimate these old games ability to fire the kids imagination.

Vaya con Dios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.