Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not sure if you fellas have heard of "Hexes and Soldiers", it's a, for lack of a better word, a youtube podcast on wargaming boardgames. Awesome podcast IMO.

The creator of the show, Jason, I believe that's his name, has an interesting way of doing the show on wargames. He tells a detail story of the history of battle that correlates to the game he will be talking about. The fascinating thing which i love about it is you get pulled into the story and when you look at the game and want to play it it's like you can see this history of his story come alive in the game. For me I enjoy it since I'm not that knowledgeable on most battles in history and hearing these stories allows me to fall deeper into the game. Great stuff.

Anyway, check it out. I believe he is on episode 43 or something like that. I just started and i'm on Episode 20.0.

Keep up the good work Jason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZzGxKCarYg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hexes and Soldiers Podcast...Great Stuff
It would go a long way to have this available on iTunes, to have the videos in a playlist, and to have the topic in the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
It would go a long way to have this available on iTunes, to have the videos in a playlist, and to have the topic in the title.

Some guy spends hours making something cool, and all you can say is that it should be more convenient for you? Not everyone is a social media pan-internet consultant. Some people just make videos at home and upload them. How sad to crap all over a wargamer like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgenii
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:

Some guy spends hours making something cool, and all you can say is that it should be more convenient for you? Not everyone is a social media pan-internet consultant. Some people just make videos at home and upload them. How sad to crap all over a wargamer like that.

I am really sorry, he probably forgot that critiquing and advising is not allowed in the modern world...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

If you're like me and you prefer a simple audio mp3 to listen to during your commute you can convert that youtube video using the free service here : http://convert2mp3.net/en/ , then download the 80 MB mp3 file
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
ekted wrote:

These are simple suggestions that would make the videos much easier to find and for more people to be able to enjoy. Hardly criticism.

People listen to podcasts far more on an iPod or via an mp3 than on youtube which on phones and tablets requires battery sapping screen burn.

Having the game title means people can 'stumble upon' the videos more readily while searching on youtube. Ditto a playlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I aggree.

I checked this out and, as the cover art is constantly in view, I assumed he was going to talk about conflict of heroes.

30 minutes into the video he's still not even mentioned that games, so I decided I had better things to do with my time and gave up on it.

I'm not likely to give it another go, cause I simply am not bored enough to go listen to these things hoping he's going to talk about something that interests me.

Oh and as I'm going to get boed out of the stadium for critisising anyway, it could do with shorter intro music.
Ninety seconds seem short, well, in this case I experienced as longer than I'd care to listen to it.

I'm not saying he's doing a bad job, points for effort and all that, but I'm simply one of those boring people who prefer to know what they can expect to listen to, rahter than sit and wait hoping it might be of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
#77 T.J. OSHIE
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe me i thought twice about interjecting myself into this conversation but as the Hexes and Soldiers show is my labor of love i just gotta say something.

I appreciate both praise and criticism as they both serve their purpose yet i do my best not to let the direction of thumbs or the quantity of likes be any kind of driving force one way or another. When you throw yourself out there you set yourself up as a target and people will take shots, it's to be expected. One observation though over the years, it seems the wargaming community is made up of a healthy portion of "haters" and a less healthy portion of people who are actually trying to enrich the community by doing something. After all, without the latter the former would have nothing to hate(your welcome). Yes criticism is needed but so is productive participation. If you don't like something then how about giving a go at a podcast or even a game yourself? Then your actively doing something instead of passively doing nothing.

I blame Herr Dr. from Guns Dice and Butter for the whole thing I got tired of waiting for his next episode and thought, maybe i can do that? The rest is history. I will be the first to admit that the show isn't perfect and could use some improvement, via a co-host or someone, anyone to interview, that yes the intro songs are a bit long on the early episodes, why the hell isn't it on itunes etc. etc. but know that this whole thing was and still is a learning experience. I liken the life of the show to a bell curve. It gets better as it goes on then admittedly kind of unravels a bit towards the end (hey, some times it's hard to focus when you are desiging and publishing your own games at the same time.) All in all, it doesn't really matter that I have had to pick all of this up on my own along the way, what does matter is the show is free. You pay nothing and it will remain so.

So thanks to both haters and lovers, like it or not, we need eachother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
BICYCLES FORWARD
badge
PELOTON
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, I think almost everyone here is saying "good job and good luck (not hating), but here is some constructive advice to help us viewers." Sometimes there is a problem with phrase-ology in presenting an "IMO".

So good job, and good luck! As a friendly suggestion, maybe someone could blog a brief summary of the content of the discussion under each podcast so we can go back and pick & choose which one's would suit our interest best. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge

Jason all i can say is keep up the good work and don't change your format.

I tip my hat to you and all the other youtubers that take timeout from their life to make these wargame videos for the community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
smic wrote:

As a friendly suggestion, maybe someone could blog a brief summary of the content of the discussion under each podcast so we can go back and pick & choose which one's would suit our interest best. Thanks.

+1 for this suggestion. With a table of contents, so to speak, it would be much easier for each viewer to tune in to the topics that interest him/her most from each episode.

Also, good effort and great attitude!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United States
Huron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the Jason from "Point to Point"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, this is absolutely not a criticism, your podcasts sound interesting and I am just keen to give a quick suggestion that would make them more accessible:

If you have a look at a lot of the longer review videos on youtube for example, they have time codes in the description, so you could add in:

12:45 - discussion of game mechanics
16:34 - summary and overall game review
21:33 - discussion of the historical Operation Dynamo

Just flicking through some of the videos now, there are 43 podcasts with some over 90 minutes long and only brief descriptions. I enjoy listening to history and wargame discussions while doing work but I would find it much easier to find something that interests me with some timecodes and it would encourage people to keep listening.

I understand that time is often an issue, but given that you spend often over an hour recording the podcast alone, a maximum of five minutes to do this and add in the game name in the title would make these videos so much easier for people to find and navigate.

I often type in xxxx game review into youtube to watch game reviews, but these videos won't show up in a search index.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kruse
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
#77 T.J. OSHIE
mbmbmbmbmb
David M, no this is not the Jason from Point to point nor the Jason from Advance After Combat. This is the Jason from Hexes and Soldiers "podcast" aka a.j. toynbee and H&S GAMES.
https://www.facebook.com/hexesandsoldiers/
http://hexesandsoldiers.wix.com/hsgames
https://www.facebook.com/HEXESANDSOLDIERSGAMES/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

If you're like me and you prefer a simple audio mp3 to listen to during your commute you can convert that youtube video using the free service here : http://convert2mp3.net/en/ , then download the 80 MB mp3 file

Oh, good. This could really help me. I'm another that greatly prefers an audio podcast to a videocast--it just fits my opportunities for listening much better that way.

Now, I went to the H&S youtube link at the top of this thread. How can I jump to find a particular episode I want, such as #43 (about Market-Garden, I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
MarkEJohnson wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Oh, good. This could really help me. I'm another that greatly prefers an audio podcast to a videocast--it just fits my opportunities for listening much better that way.

Now, I went to the H&S youtube link at the top of this thread. How can I jump to find a particular episode I want, such as #43 (about Market-Garden, I think).

here is episode 30.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLd0y1FPW3c

there should be a list of his episodes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.