Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very surprised that FFG hasn't yet released DS-style turbolaser turrets. Is this not something that they think would sell well? I know I'd buy some pronto.

Any other takers out there?

Are you listening, FFG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
a) they're pretty bad at hitting snubfighters, that was the whole point.

b) they're pretty boring to fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

We'll destroy them ship-to-ship. Come with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

But the number of photos on the net of people who have mocked up their own, to create imaginative 'Attack on the DS' scenarios, surely indicates clearly that the public appetite for them is there?

Plus, they don't have to be deadly to be viable - for goodness sake, asteroids aren't that deadly, but maneuvering around them and using them for cover is a central part of the game.

Overall, it seems a pretty strange business decision, to not give so many people what they are willing to pay for. Especially when the item in question is a tangible part of the OT universe, in a way that most of the (oddball?) stuff that FFG are now generating isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turrets mostly make sense in mission-based scenarios, not for dogfights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
turrets mostly make sense in mission-based scenarios, not for dogfights.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Every boxed X-Wing set (meaning everything but individual blister packs) comes with missions. Missions are fun. Honest.

And I would dispute the notion that turrets would be of limited value in a dogfight. Stick a turret on an asteroid and we have a totally new dynamic to the game. The 'piloting' element is simple: which way will the turret face? Wrong facing = enemy ships out of firing arc = no firing this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Why not do dogfights in atmosphere? The best thing about TFA was dogfights "on the deck".

FFG's rules for huge ship turbolasers aren't very good anyway. So feel free to make up your own abilities for them.... I sure have. For example: Mine can "one shot" a full health Y-wing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Loving that. Absolutely loving that. Kudos, mate!

Which AT-ATs and AT-STs are they, may I please ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB Draft
New Zealand
flag msg tools
The AT-AT is from a plastic kit set by AMT/ERTL "Battle of Hoth" and the AT-STs are from Micro machines. The turbolasers are 3D printed from Shapeways (there are several sellers offering these).

The AT-AT is about 10cm (4") tall, so close to X-Wing scale (also as seen on Rebels):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gale Force 9 made the best looking turbolaser towers about a year ago. There have been plenty of other "garage kits" for them as well.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.