Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Something for the rag and bone man...
badge
No soldier outlives a thousand chances. But every soldier believes in Chance and trusts his luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone, who enjoys playing board games, are you playing Magic the Gathering or did you play it in the past?

I was thinking about this game this morning and the fact that I never added it to my collection. I really should add it, but under the status previously owned. I thought it was a great game for the brief moment I had it. I just didn't have anyone to play against and I found it to be quite expensive, so I gave it up.

If you no longer play, why did you give it up?

There is no denying that influences from this game can be found in games ranging from Dominion to Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn (please correct me if I am wrong). On the other hand, people on BGG are not afraid to share their dislike for this game, whether it be the CCG format, the community, etc.

What are your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the game but couldn't seem to build winning decks. Plus, I'm a completionist and dropped out after Ice Age because it became too prohibitively expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I played for a decade. It was a lifestyle game and it just sort of slipped away as time went on. I think there are other games that I'd rather play if I played ccgs anymore, but it was the right game at the right time for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a few times with a friend who had a bunch of cards, but I never owned any myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I played zealously for about a year back in high school, but once it became obvious that the kids with the biggest allowances were the ones winning all the games, our group imploded and I've never played again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I had many people try to get me interested in M:TG, but it never caught.

M:TG is a way into the broader boardgaming hobby, but it's just one of many ways. As a result, you'll see a lot of people who love it, a lot who hate it, and a lot like me who just don't care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into it pretty heavily for about 2 years, even going to release events here in Seattle. I even got to meet Mark Rosewater.

I loved the game. I loved building decks and trying to find that weird combo that no one would see coming. I was definitely a Johnny. But, one day I just realized that the money, effort and time I was putting into wasn't worth the return anymore. I still respect it for what it is and think it's a genius design, but I've moved on.

Plus, I'm a Go player. I really only have room for one "lifestyle" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An ex-MTG player here. I played on and off for about 10 years until it finally gave way to board games. The problem with all competitive 2 player games is that quickly there becomes a marked differential in playing skill that often ends up not being closable. The way to continue playing is either to find new more competitive friends or find a new game. This is further compounded by the MTG business model that allows substitution of cash for skill for quite a long way (until basically there is no more cash to spend) and you have a recipe for drop out.

Even when we were playing Free for all EDH using proxied cards, that wasn't enough to keep friends interested as they weren't really bothered enough to build decks and just used mine.

Since we moved onto board games we've never looked back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I played from 97 to 99 or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not, it's part of my gaming present! It's a great way to get to know the gaming scene when you move to a new place and contrary to popular belief you don't have to have the biggest allowance or the best cards to win if you play draft. It's my favourite format and if you make a cube yourself at home (from literally ANY cards you enjoy playing with) it's free!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider myself a magic player even though I haven't played it in a couple of years, and have only played it a handful of times in the last ~5 years. I still follow the game casually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering was what started my interest for gaming outside of the old types of Monopoly and such. I played Magic for a few years, before I started getting my eyes up for other games out there. I still continued to play some Magic after I started playing games like Elfenland, Ricochet Robots and others. But for every year it got less and less. I still have a small bundle of my accumulated cards in my collection, but most as a memory of the time I spent playing it, and I might also draft some time with friends... Mostly I devote myself to boardgames now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a bunch until we played L5R. Got out of that once people started to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Played in the Revised-Mirage days as a kid. Then during Zendikar-Theros, though mostly online, but going to many of the prereleases and a few FNMs. One lone SCG Open that was here in DC.

I still think it's a magnificent game. And you can play it on any level and have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
No, I was never that sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. And present, even though I only draft with cards I already own. We make "new" boosters with already owned cards. It's the closest thing to a boardgame, and it doesn't cost a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately yes. I got in just as The Dark was coming out and I got out just after Ice Age.

I sunk so much money into Magic. I honestly regret getting into it. I've since sold off all my cards. I don't want any around to even tempt me back.

A year or two back, a friend invited me to local Magic tournament. The deal was he paid my entrance fee and got to keep all my cards. It was >SO< competitive. I just wanted to have a good time and most of the players were total cutthroat jerks. If anything, it reinforced my decision to get out. Plus, it seems the game play & rules have evolved, and I felt like an old dinosaur.

I'm not going to hate on the game here. I know it is still very popular and a lot of gamers like it. I have friends who still play and have a great time. To each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:

Really? You're going to try to shame people for playing Magic on BoardGameGeek?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:

Does one have to be sad to play Magic? Is there a joke here or am I just missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it never appealed to me. I did play CCGs and some of the best were (and still are): Star Wars Customizable Card Game, Middle-earth and Dune CCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played from 1994 until about 2000 (dropping out around 5th Edition).

It was a huge part of my gaming past. I loved playing magic, trading etc. I spent far more time building decks than ever playing though I did play alot too. I even played at the Wizards of the Coast game center in the U district in Seattle on the weekends.

Eventually though, just became too expensive plus I moved from my gaming group so I stopped playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed multi-player kitchen table Magic. I never much enjoyed competitive Magic. The challenge to playing is finding a good group, which is difficult, since expectations vary so much (it is similarly difficult to find a good match for rpgs, but much much easier, in my experience to find a good match for board games.)

If I walk into a board game at a con, I'm guessing I will enjoy myself upward of 95% of the time. A MtG game or roleplaying game that drops way south of 50%.

edit: As far as rpg's go, I mostly blame myself. I am way too picky about what I do and do not enjoy in rpgs and it doesn't mesh well with the typical con game. As far as mtg goes, it is a bit hazier. I have had many encounters with unpleasant mtg gamers. My last experience, it was billed as a casual game. There were 7 casual decks and 1 competitive deck. The game before that, a guy at the table was bragging about crushing kids at the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing in 1996 and have been playing ever since. I played a bunch last night.

Still love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Toluca Lake
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played from the release of Legends until the end of Ice Age. Other life interests pulled me away at that point.

Picked it back up about a year ago online. Had fun with that for a while, until I noticed I was spending a lot of (actual) cash on (fake) cards. One morning I lost a game, the opposing player stated ripping into me - closed the program and haven't gone back since... A few weeks later I bought Arkham horror, and it was on to the next thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure I played it back when it was first hitting the game scene and for at least 5years after. Then, as cards started to fetch insane prices (insane at the time - who knew a Black Lotus would one day command $1000s of dollars - I sold mine for $125 and thought that was utter madness) I sold a great deal of my collection and just went to strictly non-competitive play (except for a brief foray into sealed deck league play - my deck became hated as it got filled with small easily summoned creatures and could just overwhelm every opponent I faced. This then turned into a dislike for me personally so it goodbye to the league play forever). I still have some cards (maybe 500) but nothing valuable anymore. No one suggests it for Game Night (or any other preconstructed card game - anything like that is the in-game deck builders like Dominion or Legendary).

I kinda miss Magic - especially my favourite setup 5 player where each person builds a single colour deck and is only allowed to attack the 2 persons directly opposite them at the table. It was remarkable that no one colour ever seemed to dominate that - every game seemed to have each player in the single digits of HP but still holding on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.