Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How rough is this to learn? I don't have any coin games. I have war of the ring and conflict of heroes---handled those fine...

I think I simply have to buy it anyway from the looks of things, but just wanted a heads up....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just learning the game myself. But from what I can tell, if you can handle War of the Rings, you can handle this. The playbook is really excellent at teaching how the game is played and once you get the basic flow, it's just a matter of figuring out what strategies actually work. And that's most of the fun. COIN games are a very different experience from all other games that I've tried. But, once they click, they're awesome. (And it becomes ten times easier to learn the next one.)

So, if you're feeling insecure, I say just download the Playbook and Rulebook from GMT, download the Vassal module and just see if you can figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it does have a 40 page rule book and a 52 page playbook with 3 pages (and counting) of errata/clarifications. But, if you take your time I'm sure it's a doable learning experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Well, it does have a 40 page rule book and a 52 page playbook with 3 pages (and counting) of errata/clarifications. But, if you take your time I'm sure it's a doable learning experience.

Wow. This I didn't realize. Sounds like a Labour of love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A large part of the rulebook is about how to run the non-player Artificial Intelligence. The playbook is a large book of examples of play, design notes, and historical commentary. The amount of pages is not directly related to how complex this game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Eggs and Ham is like 40 pages...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmb
I am totally new to COIN, but I have found learning the game fairly straightforward. There is an awesome tutorial "example of play" to follow, which goes through a year of play. So I would say learning the rules can be accomplished by a playing the tutorial and reading the rules. Learning to play well? Hmm I think that might take a while .

The "non player" charts are another level of complexity, but those aren't causing me too much problem -- I'm working through a solo game with the bots. Right now it is slow going, but as soon as I am familiar it will go a bunch faster.

In terms of how hard to learn I would say comparable to CoH. Perhaps a bit more complex based on having more actions, but not harder in concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heenan
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
MayorJim wrote:

As someone above mentioned, a lot of the rulebook deals with working the AI. In terms of complexity, it feels right around where the other COIN games are. The mechanics take a little bit of work to get down, but once you've got them you're good. And while each faction plays differently, there's at least a little overlap, so you aren't learning a whole new wheel with each faction. All in all, it isn't bad.

And the playbook goes into a lot of detail. It also includes a section dedicated to the AI. And another section dedicated to the historical background of the event cards.

Finally, there is the errata. Most of the errata is minor stuff. All in all, the rules aren't that bad at all.

And look at it this way: almost every COIN game has maintained its value. If you find it isn't your cup of tea, odds strongly favor that you'll at least break even selling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:

Let's compare words per page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
ASLChampion wrote:

True but everyone knows poetry is harder to read than prose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E.
msg tools
Royal College of Arts and Athletic perfection
badge
Inventor of Knowledge Pills
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
MayorJim wrote:

What? THREE pages (and counting) of errata/clarifications sounds like a labour of love to you? Are you serious?

Looks like serious neglection to me. If your neighbor raised his kids like that, you'd probably contact the officials.

yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbnbsmith wrote:
matthean wrote:
ASLChampion wrote:

True but everyone knows poetry is harder to read than prose.

My party trick is to read Green Eggs and Ham one breath per page... that'll still apply to LoD then, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
livio wrote:
MrMT wrote:
MayorJim wrote:

What? THREE pages (and counting) of errata/clarifications sounds like a labour of love to you? Are you serious?

Looks like serious neglection to me. If your neighbor raised his kids like that, you'd probably contact the officials.

yuk

More like one page of actual errata, one page of clarifications (including explaining what the phrase "unless otherwise specified" means), and the third page holds three spelling errors and one duplicate word ("Quebec City City"). But yes, I agree that even one page of errata is too much considering how much time we spent proofreading the game... soblue

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
d2necro wrote:
I am totally new to COIN, but I have found learning the game fairly straightforward. There is an awesome tutorial "example of play" to follow, which goes through a year of play. So I would say learning the rules can be accomplished by a playing the tutorial and reading the rules. Learning to play well? Hmm I think that might take a while .

The "non player" charts are another level of complexity, but those aren't causing me too much problem -- I'm working through a solo game with the bots. Right now it is slow going, but as soon as I am familiar it will go a bunch faster.

In terms of how hard to learn I would say comparable to CoH. Perhaps a bit more complex based on having more actions, but not harder in concept.

LoD is my first COIN game as well, and I agree completely with this.

The rule book is very clear and organized. The errata is mostly typos and a couple of clarifications.

The playbook is excellent. Run through the tutorial with the board set up after reading the rules.

I'm playing solo, so I'm learning the bots. That's probably the slowest part of the learning curve. But ive really only been able to sit for 30-40 min at a time so far. Yet, I'm having no trouble getting it. Overall, I'm finding the game to be very accessible with a bit of patience.

Edit: fixed some typos. Like 'boys' wen I meant 'bots'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will only be playing this game two player and with us both controlling two factions each, so basically I should be able to skip the whole BOT part of the rules right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Sephakay wrote:
I will only be playing this game two player and with us both controlling two factions each, so basically I should be able to skip the whole BOT part of the rules right?
Yes, you can skip ALL the bot rules and charts if you don't need them. If you play two players and control everything by player choices you don't need bots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d2necro wrote:
Sephakay wrote:
Yes, you can skip ALL the bot rules and charts if you don't need them. If you play two players and control everything by player choices you don't need bots.

In Fire in the Lake, I found the bot charts to be quite useful as a beginner - they gave me a vague idea of what I should be doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpiglet wrote:
How rough is this to learn? I don't have any coin games. I have war of the ring and conflict of heroes---handled those fine...

I think I simply have to buy it anyway from the looks of things, but just wanted a heads up....

The key to learning a COIN game from scratch is to get it setup in the first place. The scenario example in the playbook helps with that. Once you get the game set up than you can just flow through the example to physically play out a year of the game.

Than you'll get it. You'll actually understand how the game flows along. The rules are well done and the designers have apparently quit their day jobs and are standing by to answer rules queries.

Skip the Bots for your first play through so that you can focus on the differences in how the factions play and how the game actually works. Than you can work on the bots.

Beautiful game! GMT continues to out-do themselves. The board looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:

The key to learning a COIN game from scratch is to get it setup in the first place. The scenario example in the playbook helps with that. Once you get the game set up than you can just flow through the example to physically play out a year of the game.

Than you'll get it. You'll actually understand how the game flows along. The rules are well done and the designers have apparently quit their day jobs and are standing by to answer rules queries.

I think that is good advice for any of Volko's designs (including Labyrinth; I don't have any experience with Wilderness War, but it wouldn't surprise me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is especially "easy" to learn solo compared to the other COIN games I've played. The two sides (two factions each) have symmetric victory conditions which makes understanding what to pursue while learning the game so much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
This one is especially "easy" to learn solo compared to the other COIN games I've played. The two sides (two factions each) have symmetric victory conditions which makes understanding what to pursue while learning the game so much easier.

Only the first tier is symmetric by side, so the actual victory conditions are deceptively different, but still, fair point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I dealt with my complexity concerns and preordered it...it's going to be fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpiglet wrote:
Well I dealt with my complexity concerns and preordered it...it's going to be fun...

I did the same...and actually, there isn't as much errata/clarifications as I first thought wow Now just waiting for the darn thing to arrive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered from my flgs...wondering how long until they get it. Anyone know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.