Star Wars: Armada» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to defeat Avenger with overload pulse list? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rocy7 POL
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my last game I wonder how to counter a Avenger with overload pulse list?

I see some hope with ships with evade which can simple force the re-roll blue critical dice or simply try to fight on long range but maybe someone fight better tactics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cann
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing to remember about Overload Pulse lists is that you know the order in which ships will be activated to facilitate the combo. The Avenger can't activate Overload Pulse for itself because resolving a critical effect occurs after the defender is allowed to spend a defense token (RR pp.2 - Attack) so that leaves either the Raider or VSD-II to carry out the first part of the combo. Raiders can be volleyed off the field without much effort while VSD's are relatively slow, have poor manoeuvrability and can't carry ECM defensive retrofits. Expect to take some losses against a list built around Avenger, Overload Pulse and ostensibly Screed (if they want to guarantee a blue crit) but keep in mind that you know which of their ships need to fire first and either deal with them by fighting or fleeing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocy7 POL
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avenger can attack twice the same ship (from 2 hull zones) and in this case the Avenger will work on second attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cann
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocy7 POL
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He can help but only in one attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't place your ships in medium range or two arcs of the Avenger, is one. Assuming that doesn't work out, two, your opponent will most likely shoot the front arc first (more blue dice=better odds of triggering Overload Pulse) and the side arc isn't exactly overwhelming. Three, destroy it! The ISD isn't stellar anti-squad, and unless it is moving quick you can try and force it to overlap your squads every turn, placing them in front and getting multiple shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
When I use Avenger and an Overload Pulse combo on a VSD or Raider II, I find enemies will see what is coming and use up every defence token they have before the ISD fires knowing they won't be able to use them against the Avenger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Passby wrote:
When I use Avenger and an Overload Pulse combo on a VSD or Raider II, I find enemies will see what is coming and use up every defence token they have before the ISD fires knowing they won't be able to use them against the Avenger.

This is just as effective as actually using the title itself, as you are changing the behavior of your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on where the overload pulses are coming from. They have to be ion carriers.

Raiders are squishy. One shot will wreck, if not destroy, them. Hit them with a shot from a medium ship or higher and watch them catch fire and explode.

Victories are going to be a bit tougher, but they are slower. You have to let them get into range of you in order to use their OP. Hit them at long range on the approach, and equip XI7s. That turbolaser upgrade will render half their defense tokens useless at any range.

ISDs are going to be tougher still, though one ISD carrying OP and Avenger carrying the other is going to make that list predictable. Two ISDs sound tough on paper, but bring one down and that's one activation vs the rest of your ships on the table.

Avenger itself carrying an OP is either doing double-arc shots to pulse you then fire the front arc, or it's setting up for other ships to take advantage of the attack (and so not use Avenger).

I like to use VSDs with OPs and Avenger, I recently returned to this list after being scared off by Ackbar picking it apart. In my last game I didn't get to combo OP well enough to have Avenger abuse it, because my opponent maneuvered in such a way that I had to react with different activations. The combination can work well when the Avenger/OP player has control of the situation, but start to take that away from him and the combination is not as effective anymore. I am considering removing the Screed/Avenger/OP mechanic out of my list for some other kind of mechanic to lean on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.