Watson & Holmes» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Any ideas for playing this game solo?

When I played 221B Baker Street solo I randomly selected three locations to be 'locked,' and gave myself just one 'key' to use. Then, on the basis of my investigation, I had to decide which location to 'unlock,' and which to leave 'locked.' Also, I made cards with the names of all of the locations on them, shuffled them before each game, and went to each location in whatever order it came up.

Has anyone else given the question of playing this new and improved version of the game as a 1-player game any thought? I'd be interested to hear anyone else's ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
emart40x wrote:
Any ideas for playing this game solo?

When I played 221B Baker Street solo I randomly selected three locations to be 'locked,' and gave myself just one 'key' to use. Then, on the basis of my investigation, I had to decide which location to 'unlock,' and which to leave 'locked.' Also, I made cards with the names of all of the locations on them, shuffled them before each game, and went to each location in whatever order it came up.

Has anyone else given the question of playing this new and improved version of the game as a 1-player game any thought? I'd be interested to hear anyone else's ideas.

I have tried it solo. As you did in 221B Baker Street, I made cards for each location. Then randomly drew 4 to lock with a police token. Then I created 3 "dummy players" allocating the correct number of carriages to each. Each turn the "Dummies" "bid" by simply drawing a card for each Dummy and then rolling a 6-sided die to see how many carriages they will bid for that location. They NEVER bid against each other, only ME, if I wish to choose the same location. At the end of the Investigative Phase a roll of the 6-sided die is made for each dummy player to see if they lock the location. A result of 1-2 locks it.

Before I started the game, I decided how many turns it will last. So I have a limited number of turns in which to solve the case. I have only tried this solo version once, so am not sure what a reasonable number of turns should be. It worked OK, but needs lots of tweaking before I try it again. Maybe more locked locations, unlimited number of carriages for the dummies, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoring in solo play
(also possible for multiplayer, especially if you play a series of multiple cases)

You start with 8 (easy case with one pipe), 9 (medium case) or 10 (hard case) points.

Each turn you lose 1 point. The game ends when you have no points left (you have to go to Baker Street in the last round at the latest to get any points at all), or when you decide to go to Baker street and hand in your answers.

Then you get:
3* points for each correct answer
+ your remaining round points
+ 0,1 point for each carriage

*4 if there are only 2 questions, 5 if there's only 1, 2 if there are five or more questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.