Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the culture track is used to determine first player, but i wonder why each player order is not determined by culture track? I was curious if it was play tested and found to have a negative impact. I have played my first game (2 player solo) to understand the game, and am really looking forward to playing multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi Ferrini
Italy
Castagneto Carducci
Livorno
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
j41c wrote:
I understand the culture track is used to determine first player, but i wonder why each player order is not determined by culture track? I was curious if it was play tested and found to have a negative impact. I have played my first game (2 player solo) to understand the game, and am really looking forward to playing multiplayer.

The flux of the game is quick also because the actions are taken clockwise. If you introduce a variation in the player's sequence, the game simply stucks in 4 or 5 players, because it happens too often that the correct order is mistaken.
In 2 players, of course, this problem simply doesn't exist. In 3 players, the only variation is that in some cases the turn proceeds clockwise and in some cases counterclockwise: however, in my experience some players have problems also in accepting this change.

Actually, the turn order is important, but not so much: it's more important to be the first player at all, and the actual track succeeds in this goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for taking the time to respond. It makes sense and i agree with the fact that it can be confusing. i enjoyed my play through and cant wait to play a "real" game with other people.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The normal "fix" for player order if you want to do something more "fair" than always going clockwise from first player but without adding the complexity of having individual turn order is: the first player on the track always goes first but the second player on the track determines whether the play proceeds in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction. This mechanism is used or suggested in many games - you just need a direction-of-play marker to remind everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.