Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to Celebrate after 21 solo sessions against the Robot, using the official variant provided with The Gathering storm expansion, I finally cracked a win - pop that galactic bubbly because this win albeit 31 to 28 was a long time coming.

Twenty-one games were played using only the cards from the base game of RFTG
The official variant and pieces relevant to the variant were used. I have never played the game before embarking on the solo ride against the robot resulting in some very poor play in early games and a few mistakes that didn't help me.

The win
Solo Play - Official Variant
Easy Mode - Win

Human (Alpha Centuari) 31VP
Robot (New Sparta) 28 VP

Only explored and settled. Robot Tableau=10. Twice failed to settle a Military

The figures

Total VPs over 21 games: Me 555, Robot 809
Calculated Average Me 26VPs, Robot 38VPs

Me Robot
Above average games. 9 13
Average. 1 1
Below average. 11 7

Lowest scoring games: Me 13 VPs, Robot 23 VPs
Me 13 VPs, Robot 26 VPs

Highest scoring game: Me 41 VPs, Robot 50 VPs

Largest defeat: 29 VPs Me 25 VPs, Robot 54 VPs

Closest defeat: 6 VPs, Me 29 VPs, Robot 35VPs

Number of game with less than 10VP gap: 7 games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gathering Storm's solo system is my favorite solitaire game experience to have and it's tough as nails, I find. I tend to get destroyed by the AI thanks to fortunate draws he/she/it has and I play catch-up in response.

It wasn't until I tried incorporating goals into the game when I began to turn the tide. I find having particular achievements to work towards helped with guiding me in the correct direction. Their extra VP's would push me over the threshold to give me the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
Australia
Upwey
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bryan,
Despite the difficulty in beating the Robot, I am definitely enjoying the game. I only ever get to play solo as the missus is just not into this type of game. The win was certainly satisfying.

My next step is to include the expansion cards and continue to plug away at the Robot - many more hours of play I would say. And definitely sticking to easy mode for a while :D

I haven't looked at the goals but it certainly seems like it could make for some interesting play. Do the goals only work for human side I.e. Yourself or do they also apply to the robot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Giddings
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
page 4 of the Gathering Storm expansion rulebook under the heading "Solitaire Game" states: "Use the experienced 2-player rules, without goals."

It would seem goals were not designed to be used in the solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls