United States
Chatsworth
CA - California
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria
badge
Glory to Rome!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the 3 games that our group has played, it seems that the yellow sided sheriff card is way overpowered. You can guarantee yourself the 3 guns and have a huge advantage on what you will win in a duel the rest of that round. I read in the Carson City forums that the red sided characters are the way to go if you want more balance and less exploitation of the characters. Can anyone chime in on this?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did they change the Sheriff, or did you mean Outlaw Mercenary, #7 in turn order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Daley
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does that make it over powered. If that is all someone is doing with the sheriff, that can be easily countered with someone taking the outlaw. Which also has three guns...

Duels are not the only aspect of this game, and there are many winning strategies. This game is all about countering opponents strategies.

I personally have always preferred to use the Sheriff to lock down the best VP to dollar conversion space for the round.

Also, if a player feels the role is that powerful, pass early and choose it for yourself in the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group, with all the yellow-sided characters, inevitably someone would always pick the sheriff in Round 4, then lock down the one remaining cash to VP spot.

But most importantly...

That person was not always the winner.

It takes a bit of plays, but there are other ways to win the game. Now that I've been playing the game online as well I feel pretty comfortable that guns and duels are competitive, but not the dominant way to win the game.

I'm glad though to have the big box edition and I expect that mixing up the roles will add a nice twist to every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Laurence
United States
Chatsworth
CA - California
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria
badge
Glory to Rome!
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the outlaw isn't in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyCmonkeyDo wrote:
What if the outlaw isn't in the game?

You could build a prison to get two revolvers which nearly negates the other bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Laurence
United States
Chatsworth
CA - California
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria
badge
Glory to Rome!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the whole game is situational. Thats IF the prison comes out. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I guess I'm just trying to figure it all out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right but you spend the additional worker to get the three guns tile with no other bonus from the characters. I don't know wether this is always the best way to go. I tried it in my first game and someone else won by land cheap with another character. Also you have to pass first to be the first to get the sheriff in the next round again. All the other players can still decide to do actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cichlidhead wrote:
.... I've been playing the game online ....

How? Are you playing using Vassal and/or CyberBoard? I'm very interested in this.

Thanks!

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
cichlidhead wrote:
.... I've been playing the game online ....

How? Are you playing using Vassal and/or CyberBoard? I'm very interested in this.

Thanks!

Doc

Yucata.de provides Carson City online. It's a pretty slick interface. Allows for the red/yellow sided characters, dice or gun tiles, and river or non-river side of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with the Yellow Sheriff in my first game and we did not find it over powered. Maybe early game you could win duels, but even winning duels isn't a huge deal since the worker than goes to the next round. Players could pass early and have their extra workers add fire power if needed. The grocer was the "go to" character towards the end of the game for us. The doubling of income for one type of building was highly beneficial. Also, the Sheriff has to go first, so the person who goes last can rob one of the sheriff's buildings. Our group likes to go closer to last to try and rob people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Laurence
United States
Chatsworth
CA - California
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria
badge
Glory to Rome!
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL Thats a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have an issue with the sheriff since he can go on the high VP space on the final turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
I also have an issue with the sheriff since he can go on the high VP space on the final turn.

but he can't keep much money and you have to pass first in the round before which normally leaves you with fewer actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
provence wrote:

Sheriff can only be placed on an empty square. If someone takes it before you the Sheriff can not go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterHendee wrote:
provence wrote:

Sheriff can only be placed on an empty square. If someone takes it before you the Sheriff can not go there.

Isn't the Sheriff first in turn order? Drop the white meeple on it with your first action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sielski
United States
Pequannock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cichlidhead wrote:

Yucata.de provides Carson City online. It's a pretty slick interface. Allows for the red/yellow sided characters, dice or gun tiles, and river or non-river side of the board.

Okay, what the HECK is that, and how do I get there? I keep winding up in some Mexican website. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
PeterHendee wrote:
provence wrote:

Isn't the Sheriff first in turn order? Drop the white meeple on it with your first action.

Agreed. But he can't bump anyone by going "on the high VP space on the final turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Johnson
United States
Carrboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The $5 for VP is good but if you carry over a lot of money with like the grocery or banker you get to buy VP for $6 each and not use an action/cowboy to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Laurence
United States
Chatsworth
CA - California
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria
badge
Glory to Rome!
mbmbmbmbmb
But he always goes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Brian wrote:
cichlidhead wrote:

Okay, what the HECK is that, and how do I get there? I keep winding up in some Mexican website. LOL

Should be as simple as going to www.yucata.de

It's a German site but has English navigation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterHendee wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
PeterHendee wrote:
provence wrote:

Agreed. But he can't bump anyone by going "on the high VP space on the final turn."

Why does he need to bump ? Sheriff goes first, he gets to place on the high VP space first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Dam the Man wrote:
PeterHendee wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
PeterHendee wrote:
provence wrote:

Why does he need to bump ? Sheriff goes first, he gets to place on the high VP space first.

Unless there's The Paperboy copying some other power
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Cott
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way this game seems to generate multiple different "this strategy is overpowered" threads cool

Here are a couple:
Broken Game Ending?
Overpowered Tactic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Laurence
United States
Chatsworth
CA - California
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria
badge
Glory to Rome!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lumpy75 wrote:
I like the way this game seems to generate multiple different "this strategy is overpowered" threads cool

Here are a couple:
Broken Game Ending?
Overpowered Tactic?

The Big Box edition forum needed one. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.