Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Would you ever really want to see an angel?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my first attempt to post this session was rejected, though the first four session reports went through without a hitch, so I'm going to try adding some more detail to see if that helps.

Introduction to Star Fleet Battles consists of a series of solo or two-player scenarios of star ship combat in the Star Trek universe. Each scenario introduces a few new rules and provides new challenges. Accordingly, scenario 5 builds on all of the rules of scenarios 1-4 (Session reports: Scenario #1, Scenario #2, Scenario #3, Scenario #4).

This scenario is a straight one-on-one battle that uses the full map. The major new rule is that internal damage is now dealt by rolling on a damage table instead of being left up to the player. I played a Federation cadet ship against a Klingon cadet ship, using the robot rules. The ships begin in approximately opposite corners of the map, facing each other. Since the robot ship only maneuvers to provide facing for unfired weapons, it was fairly easy to maneuver and time shots in a way that almost exclusively dealt damage to my opponent's rear shields, so he was taking significant internal damage and had all weapons disabled by the end of turn 3. Destruction of his ship on the next turn would be trivial.

I should note that on turn 3, prior to destroying his weapons, my front shields were penetrated and I took some hull and "other" damage (this is the catch-all damage category for things other than hull, weapons, engines, and "excess damage"), but that had no effect on combat. Note that the Klingon cadet ship includes drones, launching one per turn. The drones take four damage to destroy, and deal six damage on impact if not destroyed. To reduce the total damage I took, I targeted and destroyed each of the three drones he launched. While that reduced the damage I dealt to him (since I could have fired those shots at his ship instead of the drones), I think I would have been targeting solid shields on his ship with those shots, so I'm not sure I could have taken him down any faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.