Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Sheffield
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal, AKA Indiana Jones: The Game... cool theme! This is a nice looking game of medium complexity that seems to deserve the high regard in which it is held.

You play as leader of an archaeology team digging Mayan temples and treasures out of the jungle. Tiles are drawn and placed to give you new items of interest to explore, and you use workers with limited action points to move, dig, guard sites, set up camp, collect treasures, etc.

There are a few scoring rounds, and a few different ways to win, but you'll probably always find opportunities to steal the glory from competing teams. Careful, because it's impossible to defend all of your amazing discoveries from all of the people, all of the time.

PROS:
->Very nice artwork.
->Classic Eurogame.
->Levels all kinds of mechanics at you! I don't think my collection includes a game with more, to be honest. Here's my count:
set collection
grid movement
tile placement
action point system
area control
area enclosure, a bit
trading

worker placement (edit)
There might be more.

CONS:
->Potential for direct attacks, alliances, etc and being on the brute end of that.

This is the most baffling game I have in my collection, which is a strange thing to say. What I mean is that this is the only game I possess which seems to fit in the category of Game I Think I Should Love, But Just Don't.

It has so many ingredients that seem to be a recipe for success, with all the mechanics and variable paths to victory, the theme etc. I just can't figure out why I'm not really ever all that interested in playing it. Can't pin it down. Is it possible that it all comes down to the stupid 20th century long-box my copy of the game came in? That would be odd, but it's as good an explanation as any.

I'd like to try some more Kramer games to see if I can hit it off with one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shush Ruth
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's the game length? Have you tried any of the variants that shorten the playtime?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worker placement is not one of the mechanics in this game. I can see where you might think that, but it does not fit the definition of worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as AP is concerned, I think Mexica may be worse than Tikal or Torres, but maybe not Java. At least at the beginning of the game, Mexica, even with 6 action points instead of Tikal's 10, is potentially worse because you are basically staring at a completely blank board and you can go anywhere. Because it is so wide open, it can be difficult to get a grasp of direction. In Tikal, at least your options are limited somewhat by the tiles that are already out. At the end of the game, the options in Tikal can be overwhelming because there is so much on the board at that point. But there are some temples and spaces that you can tell are out of reach so you can narrow it down a bit. Torres has the starting castles already on the board so there is some direction there. But I found Mexica difficult to get a grasp on at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal is my 3rd favorite game. I also like the Mini-Tikal variant for 2 players. That may be my favorite way to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
At the end of the game, the options in Tikal can be overwhelming because there is so much on the board at that point.

I think this is why this game produces more "Whoa! Where did that move come from?" moments than any other game I own. One of our players is great at using his points to produce a complicated set of actions that give major points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Sheffield
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Worker placement is not one of the mechanics in this game. I can see where you might think that, but it does not fit the definition of worker placement.

Shhhh! I'm trying to make it sound impressive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bellavie
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe try Hacienda or Seeland?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Sheffield
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shruthless wrote:
Maybe it's the game length? Have you tried any of the variants that shorten the playtime?

No I haven't, are they described in the rulebook? Full disclosure here, this is my wife's game that I gained through marriage. I haven't become real familiar with the rules documentation as she taught me the game.

As a general rule I don't mind medium-long games though. Huge fan of Asgard, Le Havre, Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.