Subject: Best way to spend $50 on M:TG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Woehrle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got back into Magic but I lost all my cards since childhood so i'm starting my collection over. Where is my money best spent? About $50 for a Deckbuilder Toolkit or around $50 for the "4000 Magic the Gathering Cards" box deal on coolstuffinc? Is there another bulk buy that's more worth it?
I'm not looking to buy singles. I only play casually with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Richter
United States
Ruskin
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
really depends. If you want to jump into Standard then I would go out & purchase a $20 Deck Builder's toolkit. You can also purchase Intro decks for $15 a piece. They provide you with 2 boosters & a full starter deck to mess around with.

Now if you want to jump into Modern or Legacy I would think a 5,000 or even 6,000 plus card collection off of eBay would suffice. I purchased a collection for $30 & it had more than 4,000 cards. Found some Beta & Unlimited cards in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want to start playing with your friends, I would get 3 of the intro packs for the set that just came out, or the one before it. That way you and your friends can just pick one to play with and it will be ready to play out a some kind of strategy, and give you a feel for the new set in case you want to buy more later.

If you want to do a lot of deck-building, then get as many cards as you can for your money, and spending time building your own decks to play with your friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiryfoe Man
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
open the heart
mbmbmbmbmb
Pauper Cube
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
silverbowen wrote:

+1 Epic

http://www.epiccardgame.com/category/videos/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'60 card' Casual Play:
Premade intro decks, and/or deckbuilder's toolkit.
Buying a playset (4 copies) of your favorite common/uncommon from a certain set might also be a way go - you can find many on e-bay.
Those bulk 4-5k card lots are a great way to establish a card-pool, but probably not ideal for building a deck.

Commander:
Look for one (or more) of the commander pre-cons. This year's release are really strong out of the box, and are a steal for only $35 retail.

Standard Tournaments:
Pick up an event deck ($25 retail) or clash pack ($30 retail). These decks are relatively consistent /competitive for weekly in-store events like FNM. You might not win anything in the tournament, but you may take a few games along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
dream_rpg wrote:
Standard Tournaments:
Pick up an event deck ($25 retail) or clash pack ($30 retail). These decks are relatively consistent /competitive for weekly in-store events like FNM. You might not win anything in the tournament, but you may take a few games along the way.

Just FYI, Wizards have cancelled these products. The latest expansion "Oath of the Gatewatch" didn't have a clash pack, so there were lots of speculation about it. It was confirmed earlier this week that there won't be any other Event decks or Clash packs in the future. The "Battle for Zendikar" event deck was the last one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
U Majuran
United Kingdom
Doncaster
S. Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tasty or your money back
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait til the shadows over innistrad prerelease (1st or 2nd weekend in april). Get a prerelease pack there (sealed pool from newest set). Play against other people on the same power level. Even if you don't win the higher than average prizes, you'll have a promo card or 2 as well as a number of newest set cards to get you started in standard (which currently rotates every 18 months). You'll have some of that $50 left over

If you are thinking deck builder's toolkit, consider waiting for the one in April. The one released with origins contains cards about to rotate out soon.I prefer these to bulk lots or 'repack' boosters as you end up with all the value uncommon and commons from the last yr. The origins one also has 2 copies of all the 10 duel common lands from khans (land comes in to play tapped, when it does gain 1 life. Taps for one of 2 colours). Useful for budget casual decks in the long term. The downside over a toolkit over bulk is you may only end up with 1-2 copies of cards you want. It's a quality over quantity gamble

If you ant to build a cube, 5000 cards wild be the way to go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.